It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reverse Trolling - its the new disinformation agent on ATS

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by wigit

Thats right!

But first they look at the thread to see where the OP is coming from, then post a reply that is totally against what the OP has posted and then attacks the OP's opinions etc, hoping to win the digital stars that are up for grabs when like minded ATS members agree with the opposing and untruthful comments.

I like to call them reverse trolls because they pretend to be writing a serious opinion, when all they are doing is secretly trolling and writing the reverse opinions of what the OP has written.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Someone always plays the Devil's Advocate
I think it makes things more interesting.

I have seen posts that try to derail or shift the topic though
Honest debate never hurt anything ..in my opinion .

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by granpabobby

Agreed, honest debate makes a topic!

Although in my opinion, when a troll see's a gap in the stars market and is only "pretending to debate" to secure them, causes the quality of the thread/post's subject matter to degrade into poor reading material.

When I first signed up here, two friends I know personally and two I met here would do what we referred to as reverse trolling.

That is, to find a fresh thread and write a strong opposing view to whatever was written in the OP.

It became a game to us and we would show each other how many stars a reverse troll could attract in a single post.

The record was 41

By the second month of doing this, we had 9 trolls in the camp and would go on regular hunts to try to take the troll kings crown of 41 digital stars via a single reply post.

The troll camp has since disbanded and has not been seen in the area recently.

edit on 18-9-2011 by FoxfilesMulder because: Trolling

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by FoxfilesMulder
Yes, another thread/rant on the whole ATS stars and flags debacle!

As you will read, this thread offers an alternative viewpoint on why specifically "stars" have bred a new generation of trolls that are smarter and more resourceful than their cousins, the trolls of yesterday.

The flags are OK in my opinion and cause no problems that I can see, so will not be mentioned any further.

Its the stars you have to worry about.... and here's the reason why!

When an ATS member enters onto a new thread (who we will call) Mr ScratchMcCrotch, they skim down the page to soak in all the various replies and comments of everyone who has entered and posted before them.

Now as we all know, there are usually two sides to every argument and a few hairy bits in-between.

So, if the thread in question looks very one sided in terms of ideas, dabate and opinions, Mr ScratchMcCrotch will probably now post an exact polar opposite reply that reads more like a rant, even if they don't agree with anything they just wrote.

The reason for this?

To freely gain all the stars the minority of ATS members are likely to hand out in agreement to the opposing side of the threads debate.

I have seen this type of trolling nearly every time I browse through random threads... and before someone beats me to it, I will take the opportunity to coin this type of trolling as "Reverse trolling"

I guess there is no harm in this, as it encourages free and open debate on a broad spectrum of the subject matter, yet it does have a downside...

It also smashes threads and turns them into a boarded up ghost town with tumbleweed blowing down the center.

So how do I know this obviously goes on?

Hey, I was a newbie once!

Worked good for me

But now in the wise years of my life I can confirm - Nobody likes a reverse troll!

Especially a newbie one.....with missing teeth and bad hair.

Thankyou, goodbye, don't call me

edit on 17-9-2011 by FoxfilesMulder because: (no reason given)

Ah the fake contrarian troll.

Those are the hard ones to spot.

What about the pathetic trolls who spy on other members internet traffic or computer processes/files(via rat hacks) then clowns them on the sly. They can grow on average about 2 inches to their male genitalia doing that.

They even pretend to be apart of certain group or be an expert in the group using this trick. Then when "persons" find out about thier game they run off like the coward attention wh0rs they are.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

reply to post by Golithion

You probably misunderstood a little pal!

What this thread is about, is trouble makers known as trolls or just star hungry ATS members, are posting replies for the sole purpose of going 100% against what the OP has stated, purely to try to win the majority or minority of digital stars people are giving out and depending on what way the debate or collective opinions have swayed within the thread.

The only problem with this idea is that you have no evidence. Every time the star and flag system comes up in a thread everyone disavows it and says it does not matter. Time and time again we are told that insofar stars are concerned, "I could care less!" Or even, "I couldn't care less!" If you read the comments, it's a non-starter.

Also, the tactic does not work. Try suggesting in a Ron Paul thread that he has no chance of winning, for example. That's the tactic, right? Take the opposite point of view. Do that and you will take a lot of abuse and no stars at all.

Plus, you are suggesting that you can discern intention here. I don't think you can. This is just an idea you made up. Unless you can get a few people to swear an oath that that is exactly what they did, you have no case.

So you have multiple problems with your contention. First, there is no evidence. Second, most people, when asked, disavow any interest in stars. Third, there IS evidence that it does NOT work. Fourth, you are claiming some secret power of discerning intention.

If you REALLY want to get stars all you have to do is post that the comet Elenin really didn't melt into the Sun, but will secretly light up again, then come around to hit the earth and we're all gonna die. THAT will get you stars because, well, this is ATS, where the fake is real and the real is fake.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I like the concept of the OP...but, i don't even know what the stars or flags are for, in reality...
Sorry, maybe just dumb...not a noob.

Akushla

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
the Reverse Troll is similar to the Reverse Cowgirl, it's just what you do when you don't have a paper bag within reach

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by FoxfilesMulder

You have to see two sides some times, this all seems very cynical however. You say you did this , so you know about it. However , some times just because you do some thing, doesn't mean others do it too.

Some times, people just truly disagree or have a different view.

On the other hand, star/flag whoring isn't some thing new, So you might just be spot on there.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

My evidence is your reply post!

Attempted to reverse troll me lately? haha

Actually it wasn't so much about collecting stars by using this method, but about how many stars a reverse troll could attract within a single reply post.

As I said, the record was 41 stars, beating this number would crown you the reverse troll king within the people who participated in my troll clan.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by FoxfilesMulder

So, if the thread in question looks very one sided in terms of ideas, dabate and opinions, Mr ScratchMcCrotch will probably now post an exact polar opposite reply that reads more like a rant, even if they don't agree with anything they just wrote. The reason for this? To freely gain all the stars the minority of ATS members are likely to hand out in agreement to the opposing side of the threads debate.

So, you assume the worst of people you don't know based on behavior that you alone judge based on what they don't say and what they don't really agree with but support anyway because they seek to horde as many worthless ATS stars as possible?

Have you considered a career in politics?

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

Just something to do while writing up threads, replying and reading the topics.

Was not the prime focus of anyone's time here.

And when a reverse troll post looked promising with people staring it many times, it became exciting for everybody involved because the record could be broken.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

reply to post by redoubt

Just something to do while writing up threads, replying and reading the topics.

Was not the prime focus of anyone's time here.

And when a reverse troll post looked promising with people staring it many times, it became exciting for everybody involved because the record could be broken.

Sounds like short attention span playhouse.

Whatever trips your trigger, lol.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

Small things amuse small minds.

Everybody knows the intelligence of a troll, or lack there of

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join