It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reverse Trolling - its the new disinformation agent on ATS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Yes, another thread/rant on the whole ATS stars and flags debacle!

As you will read, this thread offers an alternative viewpoint on why specifically "stars" have bred a new generation of trolls that are smarter and more resourceful than their cousins, the trolls of yesterday.

The flags are OK in my opinion and cause no problems that I can see, so will not be mentioned any further.

Its the stars you have to worry about.... and here's the reason why!

When an ATS member enters onto a new thread (who we will call) Mr ScratchMcCrotch, they skim down the page to soak in all the various replies and comments of everyone who has entered and posted before them.

Now as we all know, there are usually two sides to every argument and a few hairy bits in-between.

So, if the thread in question looks very one sided in terms of ideas, dabate and opinions, Mr ScratchMcCrotch will probably now post an exact polar opposite reply that reads more like a rant, even if they don't agree with anything they just wrote.

The reason for this?

To freely gain all the stars the minority of ATS members are likely to hand out in agreement to the opposing side of the threads debate.

I have seen this type of trolling nearly every time I browse through random threads... and before someone beats me to it, I will take the opportunity to coin this type of trolling as "Reverse trolling"

I guess there is no harm in this, as it encourages free and open debate on a broad spectrum of the subject matter, yet it does have a downside...

It also smashes threads and turns them into a boarded up ghost town with tumbleweed blowing down the center.

So how do I know this obviously goes on?

Hey, I was a newbie once!

Worked good for me

But now in the wise years of my life I can confirm - Nobody likes a reverse troll!

Especially a newbie one.....with missing teeth and bad hair.

Thankyou, goodbye, don't call me

edit on 17-9-2011 by FoxfilesMulder because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
There's no thing as a reverse troll.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Ima newb and Ive never done this...lol

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by spw184

That's why you have minus 621 ATS points!

2nd

edit on 17-9-2011 by FoxfilesMulder because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by FoxfilesMulder

dont
probe
me
please

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
hi op i comprende

in england we call them

ARSE lickers

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
It's not anything we cannot handle.

Their tactics may seem somewhat effective at first, but you must realize that if you question things deeply and utilize your wits, you can turn the tide against any such actions.

There are some very effective methods of combating such tactics. You just need to think about it for awhile and consider what consequences your decisions may lead to. Find something that will bring intense doubt to their assertions, and make it plain to the average reader what is really going on.

Avoid accusing anyone or name calling, be cordial and friendly, and be helpful to those who wish to learn. Of course, I admit even I fall pray to getting upset because we are all sensitive to how these very important issues are discussed and portrayed. We must stay strong and try our best to play fair and seek the truth in a positive and productive manner.

It is difficult for me to live by this code, as it would be for anyone. We all get angry and snap at people, this is normal, but I advise we try our best to stray away from becoming negative ourselves.

We can turn the tables on these people who seek to derail our truth seeking and information spreading activities. They are not particularly clever or challenging opponents, as their arguments are typically flawed in many ways and their claims will fail upon close investigation.

There are all types of manners that we can achieve a victory. Just open your mind and your heart, and listen to that voice deep within. It has great solutions and answers and we should pay heed to what it tells us.
edit on 17-9-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I comment on threads open and honestly, but there are many derailers and trolls out there looking for a higher status.

So many good UFO threads have cob webs on them and are unsolved, so I can relate to your rant when it comes to those threads.
"Yeah it's fake" written by popular members, and the thread goes Ghost Town. I have a few unsolved UFO threads that just died with no answer, but that's how things go here. If the thread is worthy, it will arise from the ashes.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I enjoy a challenge and that is why I enjoy the detractors. They cause me to push even harder, do more research, think about things deeper, and to edit my own actions accordingly.

This type of push towards the truth can be productive for everyone. But keep in mind that we will not recognize the truth until we discard untruth, and in order to discard it we must learn to recognize it.

Don't let them bring you down. Look within yourself for the solution. Force their strategy to blow up in their own faces, and allow their actions to push us to greater achievements.

Competition always brings out higher quality. Embrace it, do not deny it.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

I already told some people about that, in fact I started a rant thread, that had many people agreeing with me untill mods took it off because it was "Causing drama"

Because I mildly insulted sombody after being told I was going to go to hell about 100 times, and than because I told some dirty joke, yes I deserved the last one

edit on 17-9-2011 by spw184 because: (no reason given)

Oh and Because I again mildly insulted a truther after being called an idiot 100 times. (9/11)
edit on 17-9-2011 by spw184 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
If disinfo agents were ignored they would be a non-factor.

They might even think to themselves, "this isn't working." And they would stop. Either way anyone could be a disinfo agent by simple definition. They may not even be attempting to spread incorrect information, but simply because the information is either a) unpopular even amongst the black sheep or b) just does not agree with one's specific view on the subject.

Either way, the best way to deal with this is to ignore them, make them a non-factor within your boundaries. Build your own views and opininons and when something of a "dis info agent" comes a long to troll put them in place with reason and logic.

Intelligence seeks intelligence

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Sounds like you care too much about stars and points ect. People should post what they think, not what they think others want to hear in order to garner more stars:p

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
I enjoy a challenge and that is why I enjoy the detractors. They cause me to push even harder, do more research, think about things deeper, and to edit my own actions accordingly.

This type of push towards the truth can be productive for everyone. But keep in mind that we will not recognize the truth until we discard untruth, and in order to discard it we must learn to recognize it.

Don't let them bring you down. Look within yourself for the solution. Force their strategy to blow up in their own faces, and allow their actions to push us to greater achievements.

Competition always brings out higher quality. Embrace it, do not deny it.

I agree with you MF (muzzleflash not the other one :lol
, except for the very last part: "Competition always brings out higher quality." Call me a symantics "troll," but competition does not ALWAYS bring out higher quality. War is competition and I believe right now the war has not brough about a higher quality for either side. Competition that is managed can, however, bring the issue to the surface quickly and therefore a solution can be created at about the same speed. So there is an advantage to be had if competition can be controlled.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

wow... who the hell cares? I mean REALLY!! WHO THE HELL CARES!!!

Yes it's nice to get flags and stars...it lets you know that you have people on your side. It gives you a little lift and smile...even if it's only 1 star... but MORE IMPORTANTLY... WHO THE HELL CARES???

I care about the subject matter...
not the stars
not the flags

Most ATS'ers feel the same way. They come here to share idea's and friendship and and and.... They could give a # less about the people doing what your talking about because they have common sense. If someone goes into a thread just to start crap they do what they learned in 2nd grade... IGNORE... true. I've seen it for myself out of a lot of self respecting ATS'ers.

My advice to you... Read the content on ATS instead of getting bent over a popularity contest. Again I say... WHO THE HELL CARES!!... I care more about extreme weather and political corruption... what about you? really stars? really? really? come on now....

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by tracehd1

Well......nobody should care.

Yet as far as I can know without being God, nobody has contemplated or written anything on the concept of this thread.

Therefore this thread has every right to be posted into the public domain and explain to those who have felt put down by members of ATS who choose to belittle the OP and their subject matter, for the purpose of gaining digital stars.

And lets face it, some forums (UFO) and threads on ATS can become a battleground for the OP.

I think you seem to care more than any of the other posters here...

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
If a thread is one sided, it's not a debate is it?
It's just a nerdtastic back slapping club.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by UniverSoul

dont
probe
me
please

I can give you a verbal handshake that I will try my best not to tickle you pink...

But of course, I cannot promise.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
So you are saying that the stars given to you is a disinfo tactic? Not a really good tactic if I must say, stars don't do anything but tell the poster, hey I agree with you. It doesn't make any sense, oh and should you be wary that you have two stars and one flag? Just sayin....

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Golithion

You probably misunderstood a little pal!

What this thread is about, is trouble makers known as trolls or just star hungry ATS members, are posting replies for the sole purpose of going 100% against what the OP has stated, purely to try to win the majority or minority of digital stars people are giving out and depending on what way the debate or collective opinions have swayed within the thread.

The Star and Flag system is a type of game to some people.

Probably gives them a high to get a star, similar to like a person gets playing poker machines or finding trophies and rewards in computer games.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
You mean folk are making up opinions just to get a star?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join