It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive tide rushes up Chinese river

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
www.liveleak.com...

and hundreds if not thousands of people line up to watch.

questions

A: how did they all know this would happen.....

B: why are they all wearing white shirts (it is after labor day)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
This is a better video, but I think this specific event happens every year all the time. Not sure. I remember watching where one spectator got caught in it and they were trying to get him out. Crazy people we have in this world, but pretty cool at the same time.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Ahh! I saw a video of this last year.

The soaring tide of the Qiantang River is such a marvelous spectacle that only the Amazon River's surging tide rivals it! Annually, millions of people from both home and abroad flock there to watch the magnificent tide on the eighteenth day of the eighth lunar month (also around the Mid-Autumn Day). When the surging tide comes, the water can rise up to a height of 30 feet and the noise it generates sounds like thunder, or thousands of horses running.

www.travelchinaguide.com...

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Wow thats awesome! These people seems like they seen this before. I know if i was there and seen that wave coming i would be fleeing to high grounds, lol. S&F

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I saw a video of this where a surfer surfed the wave. Not sure if this is the same river or not.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by BadBoYeed

Maybe they read about it on ATS a few days ago...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
These tidal surges are a natural event and happen on several rivers around the world. There is a good one on the river Severn in the UK which people surf.

It's all in tidal data so people know when it's coming. Really cool to watch though.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   

www.liveleak.com...

Are you racially implying all asians look the same?! Shame on you

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   

www.liveleak.com...

and hundreds if not thousands of people line up to watch.

questions

Tidal bores can be predicted well in advance, just like any tides. They are documented in many places around the world, and are starting to be utilised...

No idea

But there has recently been some amazing footage shot during a tidal bore in Indonesia. Some of the most amazing and beutiful waves were filmed and surfed.

edit on 17/9/11 by Curious and Concerned because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by BadBoYeed

Is it possible that they opened a dam?

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by TWILITE22
reply to post by BadBoYeed

Is it possible that they opened a dam?

I suppose it is possible. But if you're asking if the phenomena shown in this thread was caused by a dam, then the answer is no. A dam release would flow downstream from the dam. The water was flowing upstream, just like it has done every year at Qiantang River, when tidal bores occur.

The Qiantang River tidal bore is the world's largest in terms of height and speed. Every year, massive waves crash along the banks of the river near the city of Haining, drawing large numbers of tourists to watch the spectacle.

Local resident Wu Kun said he is always shocked to see the size of the waves, even though he has seen the tidal bore many times before.

"I bring my foreign friends to watch the tides every year. The tidal bore is awesome and without parallel," Wu said.

World's largest tidal bore attracts more than 70,000 in China
The OP
's the people who come to witness this spectacle. But I must say, I would do exactly the same thing, just like Wu Kun. But I would make damn sure I was somewhere with enough elevation, unlike the people in this old clip. This is also on the Qiantang River, and I'm pretty sure you can recognise the same location in this years footage, although the water doesn't get quite as high as in this older footage.

edit on 18/9/11 by Curious and Concerned because: add vid

new topics

top topics

join