It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Islam, Christanity and Judisam.....What is the difference?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Amuk while I can understand why you would thnk the are very similar in fact ll three religons have very different tenets.

The biggest difference between christianity and the others is Jesus.

Of all three religons only one is founded on the words of a man who claimed to be god.
Muhammed was a prophet and so were Moses and Abraham, none claimed divinity.

Christianity is also the only one of the three which teaches that salvation can not come from within or by deeds. Both judaism and Islam allow men to access heaven based on the righteousness of thier deeds and good works Christianity does not.

Christianity is the only one of the three which does not spereate food into clean and unclean. Both Muslims and Jews believe pork is an unclean food.

Obviously there are similarities, all three are monotheistic, all three have been used as an excuse for barbaric violence, but that is the work of evil men no matter what religon is used as an excuse.

Also it seems to me that the emphasis in christianity s self sacrifice rather than sacrifice. For example Jesus died for our sins, in old judaism you would kill an animal to expiate your sins and I don't know enough about Islam to say what thier beliefs on sacrifice is.

Jesus was also the only founder who did not gain or attempt to gain secular power. Muhammed, Abraham, and Moses all were leaders of thier societies as well as religous figures.

Finally if you interpert Christianity (as I do ) based on the words of jesus (I do not consider the old testament to be a part of christianities teachng more of a prequel) it is the only religon that expressly forbids violence to all including in self defense. The fact that men have over the centuries, twisted this to mean "kill the unbelievers" is more of a statement of human nature I think, than a statement about any relgon.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTruth

Originally posted by theindependentjournal
Difference is really easy. And they DO NOT believe in the same God. Allah was a Moon god from mecca's polytheistic society before muhommed the pedophile arrived on scene and took the Greatest of the gods as he is still called, and the moon is still in islams symbol... but to the difference.

In Christianity God sent his son to die for you......

In Islam you must send your son to die for god.

If you want to get technical christanity is all about sun worship. In fact the roman ruler that brought christnaity to the fore front was a sun worshipper and mixed my rituals with it.

It's one thing to debate, it's another to fabricate. Christianity is based on the teachings of Jesus Christ. Not the Sun. No Pagan Rituals. No super secret websites that know "DaTruth". No Conspiracy theories. Just plain Jesus and his claim to be the Lamb of God who take away the sins of the world. No Space Aliens that visited you when you had your wisdom teeth pulled.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwm1331
I don't know enough about Islam to say what thier beliefs on sacrifice is.

In Islam it is about submitting to Allah, where Islam is not a part of your life but your life is part of Islam. The Qu'ran teaches that a Good Muslim is a slave to Allah. Mohammed is the messanger of Allah and being that he is the chosen Prophet he is the model to which a good Muslim should Model his life.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
How about yoiu enlighten me o wise one

Amuk, it is ever so apparent that you can not be enlightened, because you do not want to open your heart. I could be wrong but I have seen these arguments a hundred times.

What are the differences? Can you come up with any or will you just sit back with your pure and perfect love and sling mud and call names like a 5 year old?

Many places in this thread and others the differences are quite clearly laid out for you.

My intentions are to try to find a worthy bit of difference between these three superstitions that are bringing the world to the brink of disaster.

Hogwash, your ego has you on the offensive to try and disprove the existance of God. I would assert you have such a high self regard that it could be looked upon as, "Self-God" meaning deep inside you believe you are larger than a god. I could be wrong, but thats what you portray to me.

So far all I have geard is "the other two are evil" or soime other nonsense
How about some FACTS to back up your claim
Or are all you are good for is childish name calling in the name of YOUR invisiable friend

Again It is your intention to destroy another person's faith as evident by your pure disrespect for the possibility of God's existance. You are bringing nothing new. As you can say the same to me, but you will not find the end you are looking for until you know what Faith is. (Not the websters definition.) I would love to amuse you with verbal circles. but thats not what you are after.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Ok, a breakdown...

You remember in the Bible that God told Abraham that his seed shall inherit the Earth? Well, in those times it was common (still is in places) for a man to have more than one wife/concubine. Abraham was no different. One of the major differences in Christianity and Judism vs. Islam, seems to be WHICH son is designated as the "seed" of Abraham. "Isaac", the first son of Sara, Abraham's "wife", or "Ishmael", Abraham's first born, but from one of his concubines... The Christians and Jews contend that Isaac (and his descendants) shall inherit the Earth, whereas the Muslims contend that Ishmael (and his descendants) are the ones. Hence the battles over Isreal as the promised land.

As far as differences in beliefs....

Judism and Islam are true monotheistic religions. One God, period. Christianity on the other hand, actually consists of a God and a Demigod (son of a god and a mortal) and a Fallen Angel (sort of a lesser God), like an abbreviated Greco-Roman religion, hehe....but enough of that. Despite this, all three have numerous angels, devils, and other supernatural beings mixed into the mythology.

Judism and Islam acknowledge Jesus as a prophet of sorts, but refute him as the son of God. Christianity claims Jesus as the son of God who died for the sins of man. The reason for the similarities is due to the fact that they are all based around the same events. The differences are due to the "telling" of these events from different perspectives. Over time, these minor differences evolved into complex rituals, and even greater differences.

There is also the whole idea of the "message". Jesus had one take on God, Mohammed another, etc. Different peoples found their own ideas reflected in one of their messages. It should be noted that Jesus was "Jewish" but then claimed to be the son of God (which then angered those Jews who didn't share the belief in this claim, hence the split and founding of Christianity).

The similarity of how they treat women is a reflection of their times. At the time, regardless of faith, women were second-class citizens, so this is reflected in the foundation of each of the three faiths. Don't forget the idea of woman as the source for original sin, etc.

In both Judism and Christianity, God & Yahweh stem from earlier beliefs of a sun god. Islam's Allah stems from an earlier moon god (as previously mentioned by another poster).

In a nutshell...

SIMILARITIES - Sign of the times, similar people in similar situations, and with similar values and ideals, same events that occured.

DIFFERENCES - Stem from the different ways the same events were interpreted by different people. Over time, it evolves into even more differences as more rituals and rites are introduced.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 08:53 AM
link   
good post gazrock however there are two point I would like take up with you.

In christianity there is no "god and demi god" Both God, and Jesus, are one and the same, they are simply different facets of the same whole, kinda like both the heads and tails side of a quarter are both sides of a quarter. The devil is a fallen angel who rebelled against heaven and while supernatural is not a deity.

Also Christianity as practised was (like all religons and social structures of the time ) biased against wisdom, however the words and actions of Jesus made it clear that neither man nor woman was superior or inferior.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Amuk

In my oppinion is not the particuar religion that is the problem but rather the way the followers interpret the particular religion the problem.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
The Christians and Jews contend that Isaac (and his descendants) shall inherit the Earth, whereas the Muslims contend that Ishmael (and his descendants) are the ones. Hence the battles over Isreal as the promised land.

I contend that during the seige of Yathrib, Mohammed led a group of Pagans Muslims Christians and Jews in defense of the City against the Meccans who came to kill Mohammed. In that Seige, Mohammed and his allies were outnumbered and the Jews betrayed Mohammed in a pact with the Meccans, but the plan fell through as Allah intervened and granted a victory to Mohammed. The treachery of the jews was uncovered and Mohammed murdered all the Jewish men of the city. This is the seed of hate flowereing still.

Judism and Islam are true monotheistic religions. One God, period. Christianity on the other hand, actually consists of a God and a Demigod (son of a god and a mortal) and a Fallen Angel (sort of a lesser God), like an abbreviated Greco-Roman religion, hehe....but enough of that. Despite this, all three have numerous angels, devils, and other supernatural beings mixed into the mythology.

Christianity Believes in one God the Almighty who embodies the 3 forms of the Holy Trinity. Father, Son, and holy ghost.

[edit on 25-8-2004 by looking4clues]

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by looking4clues
Mohammed is the messanger of Allah and being that he is the chosen Prophet he is the model to which a good Muslim should Model his life.

Absolutely NOT TRUE. A muslim should model his life based on Qur'an, it is forbiden to worship men in any form, even prophets. Had you bothered to read a few chapters of Qur'an you would know that.

God creates Adam and Eve, says worship me only. They disobey. # happens, down we go to Earth. God send messengers, people keep doing whatever they want to. God sends Moses to Israelites to free them from slavery, tells them worship only one God or they will be lost. Guess what happened, they did their own thing. God sends Jesus to tell people to worship only one God, people don't listen and kill Jesus. His disciples try to spread the word of peace, but the word is lost, men write their own thing and create a very brutal bunch of followers. By this point Jews are doomed to suffering wherever the "peaceful" message of Jesus has been spread.
God says "ok, lets try one more time" and sends the Word to Mohammad. Things seem to go well for a while... but then people stop listening again, they do their own thing...
*a few centuries later*
God: "thats it , I give up!"

And the misery on Earth continues...

That would be Judaism, Christianity and Islam in a nutshell.
The similarity is that they all come from the same God and that they have an equal number of retarted ignorant followers.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
If you don't like it here go back to "The Independant Journal."

I do not know what the heck this means? Go back to the independent journal? The Independent Journal was a series of writings by our founding fathers back in the day, topics such as liberty, religion etc. etc. If you do a google search you will find that there are 2 major Independent journals , one is the Marin county newspaper the other is the founding fathers writings. Please do not attempt to say i have a site as it is against ATS rules to advertise another bbs or site and I dont need the warning or the boot as I love this site. So in closing your post was RIDICULOUS at best..

EDIT-->>Let me add this, even if I did have a site that you said how do you think it could compare to the discussion, topics, and work that ATS has put into this site, I find this site to be the best one of its kind and would not recommend any other above this one. I think Simon is a freaking genious for giving us a well designed site like this for all of us to discuss a wide variety of topics and opinions.

[edit on 8/25/2004 by theindependentjournal]

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 10:03 AM
link   
From someone who did major in theology-

If you break them down very simply:

You had Judaism, around the years we call 0-30 people were having trouble relating, so new gospels were written, there was a revelation and Christianity is how the people adopted Judaism to their more modern views. (it is questionable and very debatable whether there was a Jesus, and if so how much he actually did- completely different topic)

A few centuries later people needed to relate Judeo-Christian beliefs to their own culture and Islam was born.

Each is a step foreward past the others and builds on them. This is not to say the first ones didnt' have it right, maybe the new guys were disillusioned, maybe they were right. We don't know that yet. Maybe they are all crazy, maybe not.

All three are from tribal religions and include pagan traditions and parts in them. The people were pagan before they converted and didn't completely ditch their old ways of life. But you are dealing with different pagans each time.

Muslims as a whole are not dangerous, nor do they all want to kill the rest of us off. There are psychotic Muslims that stand out more than the regulars- just like there have been radical Christians and Jews being nuts throughout history.

When you convert a Christian about some jerk you met the other day you told you how you were going to burn in hell, etc- how many of you have ever heard anyone say "well, he's not really a christian" or anything along those lines? Some people just have an overdeveloped sense of self-righteousness, it's not the rest of the followers fault.

One serial killer doesn't make all US citizens murderers any more than one psycho-terrorist makes all Muslims terrorists. The fact that anyone can even think all Muslims are out for world domination sickens me.

As to scriptural references (in any type of gospel) sure- there are some things that today sound really bad, but at the time they were acceptable things to hear. At the times people feared god (in whatever name) would come and smite them for their wrongs, they sacrificed animals and rid society of criminals to protect themselves. It was from fear, not some sick desire to kill!

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroDeep
Quite imature attacking Amuk, he's one of the most humble men on this site.

Which is hard to do when your a great a guy as I am.....LOL

Amadeus, Leveller, are two that come to mind for more indepth answers. Maybe a U2U to them could do you more justice.

Deep

Thanks deep I will do that

Reguardless of what some of our more thinking challanged members think, this thread was started to bring the differences to the surface and so far I havent seen a whole lot. I mainly started it because on another thread someone was talking about how savage Islam was, and I pretty much agree but the problem is you can find the SAME stuff in the Old Testament.

Now I know that a lot of people will say the OT doesnt count any more but as soon as you are doing something they dont like ZOOM stright to it they will go to prove you are going to hell. Hell the Ten Comandments are in the OT and if they are Gods word why arent the passage about women on there period having to be sepperated from everyone else or the ones about slavery any less?

We are on the brink of a disaster of Biblical Porportians (if you will pardon the pun) because three tribes of sheep herders didnt like each other and I am trying to find out why. To me it would be like the USA, Canada and the UK going to war over the MINOR differences in our Governments.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Amuk-

I think the answers you may be looking for could be held in the following concept-

There is a sort of hostility that forms when a group catches onto something, "improves" upon it, and some people don't accept the new changes.

This would naturally create a very deep divide between Muslims who believe that they are following the last prophet god sent (each new prophet was here to update us and set us straight- remember?) when Christians and Jews are ignoring Mohammed... From their perspective- how stupid can you be? rejecting god's newest message?!?

Similarily- when they Jews wouldn't accept Jesus- how mad must the early Christians have been?

I really think this could be a huge part of the root of the problem, but because it is more a thought process that it taught, it is not something that goes away very easily.

Originally posted by Amuk
Reguardless of what some of our more thinking challanged members think, this thread was started to bring the differences to the surface and so far I havent seen a whole lot. I mainly started it because on another thread someone was talking about how savage Islam was, and I pretty much agree but the problem is you can find the SAME stuff in the Old Testament.

Now I know that a lot of people will say the OT doesnt count any more but as soon as you are doing something they dont like ZOOM stright to it they will go to prove you are going to hell. Hell the Ten Comandments are in the OT and if they are Gods word why arent the passage about women on there period having to be sepperated from everyone else or the ones about slavery any less?

We are on the brink of a disaster of Biblical Porportians (if you will pardon the pun) because three tribes of sheep herders didnt like each other and I am trying to find out why. To me it would be like the USA, Canada and the UK going to war over the MINOR differences in our Governments.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by taibunsuu

What threat does Judaism pose, anyway?

Ask the Palisteinans.

And read the OT where God told them to Kill EVERY LIVING creature in the cities they took. My point was more to show all three religions were based on some rather barbaric people and Ideas

None of the three is a religion of peace as all three claim while at the same time slaughtering each other.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by looking4clues

If you cannot see the answer before you, you will never accept an answer.

Islam is determined to dominate the planet and establish Islamic Law world wide. One Nation One Community. Tolerance in Islam is non-existant. Atheism is punishable by death even today.

Stark differences between Christianity and Islam. Christianity promotes the preservation of Life under the premise that every life is sacred, Islam rewards murder and death. The Evolution of one over the other should give you some sort of clue. If not, I repeat, you will never accept an answer.

Christians are tolerant? They hold all life sacred?

Tell it to the Jews during the Inquisition
Tell it to the little old ladies burnt alive for being witches
Tell it to the Muslims during the Crusades
Tell it to the Muslim women in the Serbian rape camps
Tell it to the Homosexuals today

What a tolerant bunch

You have YET to show me one bit of real difference between the three all you have shown is your blind adherince to one and prejudice to the other two.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   
This thread is about the differences between the religions - not the differences between the people who follow them as so many of you have argued.

But maybe the question should be what similarities are there? The 3 religions have far more in common with each other than they do differences.
This is probably the main reason for all of the squabbling throughout history - they all argue that their belief is the correct one. The fact is, that if they weren't so similar, they probably wouldn't have the problems with each other that they do. They basically argue over minor interpretations of the same thing that all 3 believe in!!!!

All of the major religions are based on older belief systems. Judaism, Christianity and Islam aren't original, nor do they really contain any original message. The basis of their message is that if you follow their god, you will go to Heaven. This belief was in existence well before the founding of Judaism - the earliest of the three.

There is absolutely no doubt that Islam and Christianity are offshoots of Judaism. Although they contain their own specific points, the fundamentals have been taken from the Hebrew belief and from Hebrew spiritual scripture. That's not to say that they are in any way invalid - Mohammed may have spoken to his god and Jesus may have been God's son - but their elementary teachings were based on Judaism. It must also be remembered that all three religions have deep roots in paganism (and no, that's not a dirty word
).

Although it has been pointed out here that all three are tribal religions, I don't see that as being entirely true. Judaism and Islam place rules upon worship and restrictions on followers that specify that they must be part of the tribe. Christianity, on the other hand, may have evolved in a tribal system but it is universally available to all. There are no specific laws in the New Testament such as those contained in Leviticus or within the Koran that restrict worshippers to remain or become one of a tribe. This is probably why Christianity is such a successful religion in terms of numbers - it's easily accessible and adhered to. It is probably also why Constantine used it to unite his Empire.

But the fact that Judaism forms part of the base religion, does not make it a better faith than either Christianity or Islam. Judaism itself probably evolved from a number of earlier belief systems; amongst them: Egyptian, Canaanite, Sumerian and pagan. Christianity and Islam seem to be merely reinterpretations of these originals whilst using the basis of Judaism. And who is to say that they got those interpretations wrong?

There is a question mark hanging over the monotheistic statement made by Gazrok. Although Christianity seems to be the only religion with a trinity (and remember that the Trinity is worshipped as One), Islam also contains elements that could easily be interpreted as being the same. Whereas Christianity contains the Father, Son and Holy Ghost, Islam has it's own trinity with Allah, Mohammed and Gabriel. Of course, any similarity is denied by most Christians and Muslims, but the fact remains that the comparison is there to be made.

As you can see from this thread and the arguments over blame - it's not the religions that differ majorly, but rather those who follow them.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   
mwm1331

Good post, its good to debate one of yall that is not foaming at the mouth

Your points are well presented and well taken but I must say to someone on the outside looking in the differences you posted are minor at best and could be argued as easily against Christianity and For the other two, as the other way around.

One problem I have with your post is your statement that you do not include the OT.

A lot of others say the same but will then go on to Quote passage after passage from it to condem someone else. To me you cant have it both ways you cant use it when it pleases you and ignore it when it dosent.

Let me ask you this and then we can go on.....

Do you believe the OT is the word of God?
Is it still in force today?
Are the followers of the other two doomed to hell?
Are they products of the devil?

Thanks for your time

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Amuk

In my oppinion is not the particuar religion that is the problem but rather the way the followers interpret the particular religion the problem.

This is in a way part of my point.

An outsider looking in could tell very little difference between the three.

The different interpretations have caused millions of deaths and are poised to cause millions if not Billions more. Do ANY of them sound like a religion of peace anmd tolerance to you?

[edit on 25-8-2004 by Amuk]

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by theindependentjournal

Originally posted by intrepid
If you don't like it here go back to "The Independant Journal."

I do not know what the heck this means? Go back to the independent journal? The Independent Journal was a series of writings by our founding fathers back in the day, topics such as liberty, religion etc. etc.

I will refer you to this:

Originally posted by TEDEX
Independentjournal friend, don't waste your time replying to this biker kid, it is obvious the he is not looking for answers, his ignorance is quite remarkable, and it is also obvious that his only intentions are to upset some and to find like minded individuals to justify his thinking patterns.

Also you refer to we are doing this or that. I don't care what you do but it's appearant that you are piggy backing this site and importing your accolites. I am not the only one that has noticed this.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 03:30 PM
link   

In christianity there is no "god and demi god" Both God, and Jesus, are one and the same, they are simply different facets of the same whole, kinda like both the heads and tails side of a quarter are both sides of a quarter. The devil is a fallen angel who rebelled against heaven and while supernatural is not a deity.

I am well aware of this...but I contend it's a cop-out, and I'm calling a spade a spade...
and I refuse to ever acknowledge Christianity as a "monotheistic" religion, just because it likes to play on words...

Demigod = child of a God (i.e. God) and a mortal (i.e. Mary). You can try and sugar coat it all you want, fractioning of an essence, holy trinity, etc., but it doesn't change what it is... Would you call Perseus, Hercules and Zeus the holy trinity? Of course not!

Is the Devil man? No. Is he Supernatural? Yes. He is ascribed as having near godlike powers, and greater power than other angels, etc. therefore he is a lesser god. Again, calling a spade a spade here. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...chances are, it's a duck.

[edit on 25-8-2004 by Gazrok]

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join