It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please, For the Children, Stop With the Buzzwords!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
"The sheeple are just shills for the left/right paradigm and that slippery slope is leading right down to the military industrial complex! But none of it matters because TPTB control everything anyway!"

The above have become ubiquitous and practically meaningless now, relegated to buzzword status. People throw around these terms willy nilly on ATS. The people that really bother me are those that obviously have no idea what a "paradigm" really is, or what Ike was actually talking about; they just heard the term and use them to make themselves appear as a critical thinker (which is what buzzwords are).

Please, if you see someone using those terms, help them to realize that the first step to recovery is admitting they have a problem. Perhaps they can join their local chapter of BWA (Buzzwords Anonymous).

/TOA

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

For the kids...

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Okay.

I was gonna say something more, but I was afeared it would sound like a buzzword. Oh, hell, just let me go. lol

Yeah, I understand.

I hate the word sheeple. It's supposed to mean something about I know more than you and so you are an idiot, or something like that.

I call things like this "tired". Oh, no, I hope people don't start to cling to this word! Tired, I mean.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

I don't always agree with you, but I know that you get it. Rock on, newcovenant.

/TOA

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   

I think you're throwing the baby out with the bath water, and the cart should come before the horse, and you're making a number of philosophical errors and ....

Sometimes I do feel like am having same conversation with persons over and over again on ATS. Same words, same phrases, just rearranged. So I certainly see where you're coming from. I think sometimes these words are the best way to making a statement, but a lot of the time they're conveniant and quick ways to avoid saying something meaningful, or make a decent argument against something.

I'd say as a sub rule if your post is made entirely of this type of content and these type of words, then you should probably review it or at least elaborate on why the sheeple are offending the baby in the bath water.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   

bwahahaha! outstanding! i recall thinking along these lines so very long ago in the workplace as buzzwords and PC speech was taking over America. it just got worse over time. sadly it seems some of the largest online suppliers of this dreck were once respectable in their fields, before they had an online presence.

at times it seems as if the internet gives as much as it takes. while it's wonderful to have so much access to so many things at one's fingertips a huge price is paid by having to put up with endless acronyms, memes, and never ending misuse and abuse of language and structure offensive to those with even a basic education.

i now understand why the old time geeks wax poetic about the good old online days. the GUI interface changed the online world in both the negative and positive sense. reminds me of how shocked i was years ago when i first went online. i had assumed that people who could afford and could use computers would be much more different than they turned out to be.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American
"The sheeple are just shills for the left/right paradigm and that slippery slope is leading right down to the military industrial complex! But none of it matters because TPTB control everything anyway!"

The above have become ubiquitous and practically meaningless now, relegated to buzzword status. People throw around these terms willy nilly on ATS. The people that really bother me are those that obviously have no idea what a "paradigm" really is, or what Ike was actually talking about; they just heard the term and use them to make themselves appear as a critical thinker (which is what buzzwords are).

Please, if you see someone using those terms, help them to realize that the first step to recovery is admitting they have a problem. Perhaps they can join thparadigmeir local chapter of BWA (Buzzwords Anonymous).

/TOA

You want us to stop using these complexed complicated words for the kids; but, you also use big words. [See underlined and bold in quote.] I know my niece don't know what those words mean.

Google, Yahoo, Myway, Scroogle, or Dictionary, are your friend.

*You might even learn something and not forget it when you go to look it up. I know that's what I have learned anyway. Especially, for my humanities class.

Practice what you preach buddy. TOA??

edit on 17-9-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Very decent of you and I thank you sir, bestowing many stars and flags.
We'll pick it up another time. Peace and agreement, (halleluiah) for now.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
yeah, they can be overused "buzzword" terms... but is it a REALLY bad idea for these words to become common phrases? if it gets other people thinking and gets other people googling these words and learning then it might not be too bad of a thing. and without these words, how are so many of the ATS thread going to show up in those google results?

you know what another super-used term on ATS is? "willy nilly"

btw: i am just playin' with your willy nilly - i mean no disrespect.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I hope people know what paradigm means. And, all of the other words for that matter.
I don't mind buzzwords if they help to deliver a point,
but in everyday speech, all the time? It can get frustrating.
These buzzwords at least target an entity worth targeting..
I think, however, the bigger problem is society as a whole. Most teenagers (if not all people) don't even bother typing correctly, never mind typing full words! They copy each other and do not question enough things.

I hope the Dec, 2012 solar flares do mess up with our satellites and electric grids, so some people can be (re?)-introduced to some books.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Where exactly do you think we got those buzzwords from?? I GOTTA stop hangin' around with those damned kids.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater

Originally posted by The Old American

Please, if you see someone using those terms, help them to realize that the first step to recovery is admitting they have a problem. Perhaps they can join thparadigmeir local chapter of BWA (Buzzwords Anonymous).

/TOA

You want us to stop using these complexed complicated words for the kids; but, you also use big words. [See underlined and bold in quote.] I know my niece don't know what those words mean.

Google, Yahoo, Myway, Scroogle, or Dictionary, are your friend.

*You might even learn something and not forget it when you go to look it up. I know that's what I have learned anyway. Especially, for my humanities class.

Practice what you preach buddy. TOA??

edit on 17-9-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

did you post this ironically? i'm left puzzled. the acronym TOA has so many meanings listed for it online that i has question marks floating above my head. and it does appear the entire OP flew right over yours.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
one of the biggest buzzwords i cant stand to listen to

is the "military industrial complex" which is an urban myth

and the simple fact is everything is made in china so i consider that buzzword meaningless

thats neither a left or right paradigm arguement you name it the components arent made here.

and elese where in the world europe etc

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

You'd be surprised. You think they make main components for the Raptor in China? No...but Jabil right down the street, yep. It's no myth.

Thing is...these buzzwords exist because the things they represent do. They won't go away, because the things they represent haven't gone away.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
NEVER underestimate the power of a buzzword. Just ask poor, old Rick Santorum.

new topics

top topics

join