It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Autopsy: Woman died from shot fired by deputy

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by snarfbot
so hes chasing down a kid, because he looked "suspicious" and then he tasered him, and ran him over.

No! He's chasing down someone (he really does not appear to be a kid), who was fleeing from a construction yard, wearing dark clothing, in the middle of the night. Do you realize that its illegal to be out on a construction site after hours in this state? Do you understand that people steal copper and other stuff from them to sell for drugs? Nothing suspicious about it, he caught him red handed breaking the law in the state of Florida.

Certain Property Theft Always Considered a Felony

Specific types of property are always considered felonies even if the value of the object is less than $100. These are things such as automobiles, fire extinguishers, stop signs, and firearms. Additionally, anything stolen from a designated construction site will be considered a felony offense and theft from a person 65 years or older is also enhanced.

Originally posted by snarfbot
i can see how that can be considered an accident, but does that mean the guy should be completely absolved of all guilt? drunks and reckless drivers accidentally kill people without the use of a taser, should they too be "disciplined" instead of charged with a crime?

Go read the links. All the officer did wrong was discharge his taser from his car, and drive down the wrong side of the street. He hit the guy because he turned too fast into the parking lot in the dark, and the suspect fell right in front of his moving car. None of it would have happened if the suspect would have stopped when ordered to by the officer.

That's why he only received a reprimand and a few days off.

edit on 9/18/2011 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
The coward in this story sounds like the officer. Shooting someone because you get your foot run over? Is human life that cheap? Are the police such babies that when one of them gets their foot run over they have to use deadly force? Why do we have this idea that the police are so brave when you hear so many stories where someone comes at them with a chicken wing or a fork they have to kill the guy? I can't count how many times I had my foot run over by a car. It's not dangerous or frightening. It's just funny. It doesn't even hurt.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by jzenman

It has to be poor training. Cops weren't always this way.
Watch the woodcarver video. That one stuck with me for some reason.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Another homicidal cop. Whatever happened to shooting out their tires? Or shooting a fleeing suspect in the leg? Nah, instead lets put one in their chest for running over our foot. For all the cop apologists/cops on here, I have a question for you. If i'm at the grocery store, and your wife runs over my foot while i'm putting my bags into my car, completely on accident, just trying to get outa her spot. Can i shoot her in the face? If not, why? Isn't she commiting a crime by hitting a pedestrian? So if her car moves even an cm after my foot is struck, is she not fleeing? Therefore i should be able to murder her right? Come the # on people.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by accentedsoul

Hahaha yeah....

Watch out what you say about blowing out tires through> It's been mentioned a few times on this thread, originally by myself.... but apparently that is only in the movies... Trust me I thought it was a good idea too

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by PhysicsAdept

Well its nearly impossible to fully understand what really happened. Normally I'm a very compassionate person, but I get so sic of all the stupid stupidness in the world that I feel like the faster people get killed of the better. Maybe I'm just having a cynical day.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by MainLineThis
reply to post by awfitz

I agree. The woman was a waste of human flesh. The fact that her idiotic decisions just now got her killed is funny to me. Now if only more idiotic human trash would do this we could save some tax money (because you know darn well scum like this live off the taxpayers). That's right ats'ers....you paid for this woman to remain a complete burden on society (well, those ats'ers that pay taxes that is......based on the level of ignorance around here I'm guessing a substantial portion of our membership is also nothing but suckling dependents on the tits of government)

I feel nothing for this dead, criminal scum. The only thing that ticks me off is why, oh why, couldn't the cop have shot both people in the vehicle? LOL.

Maybe you should get going on that list of undesirables so we can round them all up and gas them.

Disposing of that many bodies will be a chore.

Maybe we could build camps and crematoriums so it is done in an orderly fashion.

Of course we will need the public on our side, or at least too afraid to speak up, so we need propaganda.

Yep, with your help we could build a master race.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by jzenman

I haven't replied to this thread for a while. One can only deduce by your stance that police are not doing their job correctly, that you have had some experience with them.

They are under paid, over worked, and dealing with people that have a mind set such as yourself.

So, if something happened to you that would entail calling the police, would you? I have asked you time and time again to show, where man hours worked versus the injustes you see are comparable.

I also want to add, that is people like you who make me dislike this site more and more. You do not deny ignorance, but mearly entice needless discussion because you display your feelings which are fine, but over and over again? C'mon, put up or shut up! You have nothing to back up what you say, and I can't beleive this thread is lingering on because of your drivel!

You need to shut up,or put up at this point. You show nothing conclusive to this thread, that is proof that all cops are under trained, and that they do not do thier jobs. Show me where the instances of police doing there jobs, outweigh moaners like yourself. Can't do it, can ya?
edit on 18-9-2011 by Blanca Rose because: added comments

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

reply to post by jzenman

I haven't replied to this thread for a while. One can only deduce by your stance that police are not doing their job correctly, that you have had some experience with them.

They are under paid, over worked, and dealing with people that have a mind set such as yourself.

So, if something happened to you that would entail calling the police, would you? I have asked you time and time again to show, where man hours worked versus the injustes you see are comparable.

You need to shut up,or put up at this point. You show nothing conclusive to this thread, that is proof that all cops are under trained, and that they do not do thier jobs. Show me where the instances of police doing there jobs, outweigh moaners like yourself. Can't do it, can ya?

Underpaid my asp.

The average cop in my area makes more than the average teacher.

My son in-law in the local chief of police, and before benefits he makes about 60k a year, and he gets great bennies, almost 20k worth yearly.

The city pays for his uniforms, utility belt, guns, jackets, etc...

Contrast that with a private sector worker like my employee's. My shop does mechanical plumbing and heating and cooling. I provide the vehicles and large tools, my workers provide their own hand tools and half of their clothing. I provide shirts and jackets, they buy their own pants and boots. My guys make around 40k plus about 10k in bennies.

So he get's 80k for driving around in his squad car writing speeding tickets, and my guys make 50k for back breaking work that often gets poop on them.

Yeah, he's way underpaid.

By the way, I was the head of public safety for 8 years as a city councilman, so I'm well aware of his duties and responsibilities.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGWskeptic

Underpaid my asp.

The average cop in my area makes more than the average teacher.

Since when should a teacher have to deal with violence? That sounds like a bad parenting problem to me.

My son in-law in the local chief of police, and before benefits he makes about 60k a year, and he gets great bennies, almost 20k worth yearly.

The city pays for his uniforms, utility belt, guns, jackets, etc...

Jelouse? You are so funny!

Contrast that with a private sector worker like my employee's. My shop does mechanical plumbing and heating and cooling. I provide the vehicles and large tools, my workers provide their own hand tools and half of their clothing. I provide shirts and jackets, they buy their own pants and boots. My guys make around 40k plus about 10k in bennies

Well then, reviset your company policies. What does what you do, have to do with this thread?

So he get's 80k for driving around in his squad car writing speeding tickets, and my guys make 50k for back breaking work that often gets poop on them.

They must like it or they wouldn't do it. Poop and all!

Yeah, he's way underpaid.

By the way, I was the head of public safety for 8 years as a city councilman, so I'm well aware of his duties and responsibilities.

So you were, and no longer are. What's your point?
edit on 18-9-2011 by Blanca Rose because: quote

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

I had a guitar stolen, found it at a pawn shop. The pawn shop wouldn't give it, they said I hate to buy it back or press charges. I got ahold of the police and said I wanted to press charges on the woman that pawned it. The police told me to buy my own guitar out of the shop for what the woman pawned it for and that they weren't going to go look for the woman, but she had other warrants out so if they picked her up they would slap that on her too and she would have to pay me back. Of course I would never know if they ever found her.

My friend and I were eating at a restaurant, this is in the small country town that we grew up in. We were there first and the only people in this restaurant which was one of very few facilities that still allowed smoking indoors. A man came in and set down to eat with his family. He set down really close to us and started the whole coughing thing, and then he came over to use and agitatedly without a word tried to open the window behind us. Then he started mouthing off as he gathered them up to leave, never really bothering to say anything (though admittedly my friend continued smoking since he was there first and this guy went about it in the rudest way possible) he stopped at our table to mouth off and after I stood up and told him and my friend they both needed to act like adults (this guy was double our age) his wife dragged him out. As the door was closing (we were seated right by the door) my friend said something like "that guy was crazy" and the guy heard jumped back in and assaulted my friend. The restaurant workers saw it and got the guys license plate. They called the police and I kid you not after telling the story to the police he said nothing would come of it and it would be "a lot of paperwork" and basically spent his time talking us out of filing charges. Sidenote: Turns out that same guy had assaulted someone at another restaurant, someone who knew him told us.

Those are just two instances when the cops were "needed." Obviously there are more of them being interested when they aren't required or wanted. Also this is in a smaller country town.

So no, if something happened to me I know what a waste of time it is to call the police. Over worked is lolworthy as well as underpaid. How on earth are they over worked? For pulling up driver's side window to window and chatting with each other in parking lots for hours a night? For driving around and "doing what they can" and in most instances that is nothing at all.
edit on 18-9-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   

I had a guitar stolen, found it at a pawn shop. The pawn shop wouldn't give it, they said I hate to buy it back or press charges. I got ahold of the police and said I wanted to press charges on the woman that pawned it. The police told me to buy my own guitar out of the shop for what the woman pawned it for and that they weren't going to go look for the woman, but she had other warrants out so if they picked her up they would slap that on her too and she would have to pay me back. Of course I would never know if they ever found her.

I am finding this story hard to understand because one of my friends is a pawn detective for the sheriff department, and they not only will check if items are stolen, but will arrest people for selling hot items. You do have to report the item stolen, or how are they supposed to know that it was stolen and you're not just trying to get something free from the pawn shop. If you failed to make a report, then come back after the fact to say its yours, you're going to have to have some proof of your claim beyond your word. If an item is contested as being stolen property, the pawn shop cannot sell it anyway, as they can get in hot water for dealing in stolen merchandise. So your story does not make 100% sense, at least not in my area.

They called the police and I kid you not after telling the story to the police he said nothing would come of it and it would be "a lot of paperwork" and basically spent his time talking us out of filing charges. Sidenote: Turns out that same guy had assaulted someone at another restaurant, someone who knew him told us.

An assault is a verbal threat that the person has to have the means to carry it out at the time its said, and the person he is threatening must be in reasonable fear, for it to be valid. In other words, if someone told you over the phone that they were going to beat you up, it would probably not carry any weight as they're not in your immediate vicinity. If they told your friend that they would: “shoot him in the face with a bazooka”, and they don't have a bazooka on their person, that is also not valid as an assault. The cops were correct in the fact that its a lot of paperwork for something that is most likely not going to go anywhere. As your friend will most likely never encounter that man again, and he did not act on his threat, its really not going to fly as an assault.

I will agree with you about them not being overworked in many places, such as were I am located. I often see them hanging around the hospital or in the parking lot doing nothing, yacking, or even sleeping. However, that also depends on the area and the night in question. Just like the medical field, we have slow nights and we have crazy nights. As a matter of fact, down here, we have slow seasons and busy seasons depending on the time of year, the amount of tourists, the snowbirds, etc.

edit on 9/18/2011 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Well.. we don't likely live in the same place. Same thing happened to my friend, his Gibson was stolen. He filed a report. Three years later it shows up in a local pawn shop. They try to get him to pay to get it out. Here the local cops are friends with the pawn shop owners and they are protected always. Ever been in a pawnshop where you have to show proof that your item isn't stolen (i'll answer that for you, NO).

Sorry, let me clarify the second one. The guy hit my friend when he jumped back into the restaurant, physically assaulted, better? The cop didn't want to do the paper work.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Sorry, let me clarify the second one. The guy hit my friend.The cop didn't want to do the paper work.

Then that is not an assault, its a battery, and the police should have gone and arrested him.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

OK assault and battery. Whatever.

Although you are completely wrong.

as·sault    [uh-sawlt] Show IPA noun 1. a sudden, violent attack; onslaught: an assault on tradition. 2. Law . an unlawful physical attack upon another; an attempt or offer to do violence to another, with or without battery, as by holding a stone or club in a threatening manner. 3. Military . the stage of close combat in an attack.

dictionary.reference.com...

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

en.wikipedia.org...
In law, assault is a crime causing a victim to fear violence. The term is often confused with battery, which is the actual "touching". The specific meaning of assault varies between countries, but can refer to an act that causes another to apprehend immediate and personal violence, or in the more limited sense of a threat of violence caused by an immediate show of force.[1][2] Assault in some US jurisdictions[which?] is defined more broadly still as any intentional physical contact with another person without their consent;[3][4][5] but in the majority of the United States and in England & Wales and all other common law jurisdictions in the world, this is defined instead as battery.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Notice how it says IN LAW. I wasn't reading from the report that the cop never wrote, it wasn't in court. I was using the word in my normal speech and it was used correctly. It could have easily been inferred from what I wrote. Either way.. did you ever have a point? You are arguing with me on my personal experiences why? You are trying to justify these cops lack of integrity why? Is that just was you do?

You know what is funny. How many times have you guys said she assaulted and officer in this thread? I guess it's only in question when you are trying to detract from an argument?

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

I figure that since you're writing the story in here you want to write what happened correctly, and your friend was not assaulted but was battered. There is a big difference between the two in the laws the police have to work within, and it makes a big difference to the story you're relaying to us. The definition that I am giving you is the one that matches the state statutes in all US states, and is the one that would apply to what the officers were dealing with. You cannot assume that we will assume you meant he was physically hit when you use a term that in generally known to mean he was only threatened.

Believe me, I used to take a lot of crap from my LEO friends when I would misuse the word assault or call it “assault and battery” (they REALLY hate that TV cop term).

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Uh huh. Yet when the woman in this story made physical contact with an officer it's universally accepted as "assaulting an officer." You are just picking out minor details to derail the narrative.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   

I believe this term is used specifically for cases where an officer is injured by someone, either intentionally or accidentally, while in the course of driving recklessly, such as fleeing in a high speed chase. It may also be used in this instance because she attempted to cause great bodily harm, but failed to do so.

Aggravated assault
Aggravated assault can also be charged in cases of harm against police officers or other public servants, or for bodily harm stemming from the reckless operation of a motor vehicle. The latter is often referred to as either vehicular assault or aggravated assault with a motor vehicle.

In the case of the latter, I believe it would be aggravated battery instead of assault, at least I know it would in FL state statutes.

Still.... Generally speaking, an assault is a threat and a battery is actual use of force:

Distinction between battery and assault
The overt behavior of an assault might be Person A advancing upon Person B by chasing after him and swinging a fist toward his head. The overt behavior of battery might be A actually striking B.

Battery requires (1) a volitional act that (2) results in a harmful or offensive contact with another person and (3) is committed for the purpose of causing a harmful or offensive contact or under circumstances that render such contact substantially certain to occur or with a reckless disregard as to whether such contact will result. Assault is an attempted battery or the act of intentionally placing a person in apprehension of a harmful or offensive contact with his or her person.

In some places, assault is the threat of violence against another while aggravated assault is the threat with the clear and present ability and willingness to carry it out. Likewise, battery is undesired touching of another, while aggravated battery is touching of another with or without a tool or weapon with attempt to harm or restrain.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join