It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Autopsy: Woman died from shot fired by deputy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Autopsy: Woman died from shot fired by deputy

www.gazette.com

According to Schaller, the deputies were at the motel attempting to serve a warrant when a silver Hyundai Accent pulled into the lot. The deputies were unaware that Vargas, a fugitive, was one of the two women in the vehicle, Schaller said.

When deputies approached, the car sped off and ran over the foot of one of the deputies. A deputy then fired a single shot at the car, which drove out of the motel parking lot and struck a street median.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.denverpost.com
www.coloradoconnection.com
www.krdo.com
www.gazette.com

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Ok so a person who works at this hospital in the area and told me that there was some woman who ran over a police officer's foot. Before even knowing that the woman was a fugitive, the officers considered the (possible) accident to be assault with a deadly weapon. The woman driving, likely very scared, had ran from the cops when they decided to open fire on the vehicle. The driver of the vehicle, shot by one of the officer's bullets, then made a direct route to the hospital and died in the parking lot. Apparently the family of the woman is extremely disappointed, saying that though she was no outstanding citizen, she also was not really a criminal. Hearsay is that the woman was only a fugitive due to a drug issue, but likely nothing else.

I find this to be very depressing, the death of this lady. I'm sure the cops were only following some written protocol that makes them feel that they have no choice but to act in the name written law, but they had no original idea of the lady's criminal background-- so what gives them the right to shoot on someone like that? No exceptions can be made, ever, and this time it ended in someone's death. So much for innocent until proven guilty.

P.S. The police officer who's foot was bruised made a full recovery and should be able to walk again. He was released from the hospital.

www.gazette.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 17-9-2011 by PhysicsAdept because:

edit on 17-9-2011 by PhysicsAdept because: Cleanliness

edit on 9/17/2011 by maria_stardust because: Made a minor edit per thread author's request.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by PhysicsAdept

I agree with you. They had no idea she was wanted on a drug charge of some sort and their action was simply to shoot and use leathal force?

It wasn't that many years ago when you had to really justify your use of firearms or lethal force, and it was not something one just does automatically.

These cops seem to me automative. They're almost like those weaponaized drones or AI. Not human.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Yes, they are AI who are set on the difficulty level called "unforgiving"

I see these stories all the time, but now I'm glad to see it where I live. I feel so safe!

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

I understand officers have to protect themselves. In this case I believe it was justified. You cant use a vehicle to injure someone.Period.Imagine if she was 3-4 inches closer. This officer could have had his foot crushed,or could have been killed..Why did she decide to flee? If she is that willing to flee,use a vehicle to injure someone,I believe that force being used is warranted. She could have easily stopped and given herself up. Period. She chose to put herself in the predicament of getting killed. I know,it sounds heartless,but I am a big proponent on Officers being held to higher standards,and laws changed to protect the average citizen,from a growing police state. Would this story be different if she hit a child,on her way fleeing? Or she ran into a group of people,as she fled ? Would have it been justified then?

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Yes I see where you are coming from. However, if everyone carried a gun when stuff like this happened, everyone would be dead. So why is the officer the lucky guy to be carrying one, and get to use it in these situations? I mean, honestly I do agree with you mostly... However I believe that it is in the duty of any police officer to try to help the public and find win-win situations. I do not believe it to be totally ok for them to basically decide outcomes of people's lives based on emotional response. I think the cop should have found a better way to handle it instead of merely find something to occupy his itchy finger.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Actually,guns dont kill people.People do. Anything can be used as a weapon. Case in point,a car. The car was reported stolen. I believe this is the reason why she fled.Her life wasn't important enough to just STOP. I can give you many examples of TRUE police injustice. This time,however,I stand by the fact this officer did what was necessary. If she could physically use the car as a weapon,and hit a LEO,shes obviously had NO problem putting the General population at risk.

If you want to see real Police Injustice,I suggest you take a look at this site. You will find all you need here.

Injustice Everywhere

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   

I've had my foot run over before, and yeah, it hurt, but did the person that was driving deserve to die?

No way. I could understand if the car was speeding towards them, clearly about to run them over. But after the deed was done, and a bruised foot was the only casualty, to blindly fire into the car?

Way over the top. The deputy should be facing murder charges, or at least manslaughter. Fat chance of that.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Welcome to the police state, ladies and gentlemen! What a shame this happens in my back yard.
I can't blame the cops so much anymore, as we should actually blame the whole system that allows our cops to give any reason to justify having an itchy trigger finger these days.

edit on 17-9-2011 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhysicsAdept
However I believe that it is in the duty of any police officer to try to help the public

They did help the public by stopping a crazy woman who either could not control her car, or tried to kill someone with it. Either way she should have been stopped immediately, so the police did the right thing.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by VariableConstant

I've had my foot run over before, and yeah, it hurt, but did the person that was driving deserve to die?

If you were a cop and you killed that person, you'd have supporters on this site.

The kids have been raised in the police state. Where you can see the most heinous abuses to ever have occurred in this country, they see only what they saw every day of their short little lives. They think it is okay to electro-torture people and kill them for running over your foot (bot only if you are a cop lol). For the young, it has always been 'okay' to do such things in America.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
A woman died from a shot fired by a deputy. Imagine that. No never mind the vehicle was stolen, she had a warrant, and ran over the guys foot.

Realistically, what would you have done, had you been the deputy? He had every right to shoot her.

One more dumb criminal off the face of the earth, sucking up good oxygen.

Hats off to the deputy, in my opinion.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

If you were a cop and you killed that person, you'd have supporters on this site.

I'm one of them.

The kids have been raised in the police state. Where you can see the most heinous abuses to ever have occurred in this country, they see only what they saw every day of their short little lives. They think it is okay to electro-torture people and kill them for running over your foot (bot only if you are a cop lol). For the young, it has always been 'okay' to do such things in America.

I am well past the age of being a kid, too. I don't think it is ok to electro-torture anyone. I say just shoot 'em and get it over with so we don't have to worry about our taxes being paid out for frivolous lawsuits brought on by criminals who survive things like electro-torture.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by spoor

Well said, like I have stated I am not totally disagreeing with you here. But still, there was no obvious attempt to harm anyone after the fact (as far as I know) and though she was running from the cops, a shot to the tire of the car seems more befitting to the crime. I mean, a foot for a foot. She was shot in the chest... That makes me believe that the cop wasn't aiming to stop her, he must have been aiming to kill her

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

Well the legal system just sucks in general. Tax dollars have no right to be used for supporting people in jail who may or may not belong there. Shooting someone for running over a foot... that is extremism. Keep in mind that the officer knew nothing of the lady except that she gave his foot an owie.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Well said, like I have stated I am not totally disagreeing with you here. But still, there was no obvious attempt to harm anyone after the fact (as far as I know) and though she was running from the cops, a shot to the tire of the car seems more befitting to the crime. I mean, a foot for a foot.

Yah, since when is a tire equal to a foot? Would you even suggest this if it was your foot?

She was shot in the chest... That makes me believe that the cop wasn't aiming to stop her, he must have been aiming to kill her

Perhaps he was as bad of a shot, as she was for maneuvering the car.

Had she just stopped and given up, we wouldn't even be reading this silly trash!

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   

If I was the deputy you bet I would have been pissed! It's my frickin foot, don't drive on it! But on the other hand, I wouldn't reach for my gun. I would reach for my car keys and limp off toward the car. I would try to catch the criminal, doing justice for the public, and then I would bring the issue to a legal system in which both myself, the victim, and the criminal were tried fairly. Then I'd hope justice would be served on both sides.

Than again, in today's society, no one is willing to work towards "fair" so maybe shooting her would quite realistically put me out of my misery, as I would be the victim of the system.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Well the legal system just sucks in general. Tax dollars have no right to be used for supporting people in jail who may or may not belong there. Shooting someone for running over a foot... that is extremism. Keep in mind that the officer knew nothing of the lady except that she gave his foot an owie.

That is your opinion. How was he to know? She didn't give him a chance to figure it out, instead, running over his foot.

And your right about supporting people in jail. Just kill 'em all. We have better things to do with our tax dollars.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Perhaps he was as bad of a shot, as she was for maneuvering the car.

Yeah. I'm sure that's what the lawyers will say.
I'm sure all his cop buddies will say the same thing. I'm sure you feel real proud when cops assigned to "serve and protect" get away with this kinda thing all the time.

Welcome to the police state, and it's only gonna get worse from here.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   

A foot=officer's mobility.
A tire=criminal's mobility.

(It's a metaphor)

Also, like I mentioned, he made a full recovery and left the hospital. I'm sure the chick who died would have taken an impounded car over death any day. You wouldn't though, I'm assuming?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join