It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did you ever have a dream that never came true?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
It seems common to chase your dreams in today's society or mostly in the western societies. Also there is a lot of talk about the law of attraction and visualization. Whether that works or not, I don't know. Why not take that theory to Africa and maybe it will get them food and a place to live. Anyways, with all the optimism about dreams coming true if you keep believing, I got thinking. Has there ever been a dream that you have had or do have that never comes true no matter how hard you try to make it so?

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
What?

Sorry, the title of your thread is, "Did you ever have a dream that never came true?"

Well, nearly every day for me.

Oh, apart from the one dream where I became President of Klingons, & flew about on a magical carpet, in a bikini, blasting other alien life forces with The Elder wand, which I managed to steal from Voldemort. Just before I jumped on stage & had a fight with Justin Bieber, then teleported to Carnagie Hall, to finish my virtuoso solo performance on the triangle.

*Takes a bow*

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ralphy

It seems common to chase your dreams in today's society or mostly in the western societies. Also there is a lot of talk about the law of attraction and visualization. Whether that works or not, I don't know. Why not take that theory to Africa and maybe it will get them food and a place to live. Anyways, with all the optimism about dreams coming true if you keep believing, I got thinking. Has there ever been a dream that you have had or do have that never comes true no matter how hard you try to make it so?

Yes like almost every single one. As a child I wanted to be a singer and actress...wasn't born with talent (or the looks apparently kesha and jessica simson have, they're all autotuned and can't carry a tune in a bucket, but they got the looks to make it) well as an actress I never tried I gave up because "it wasn't a realistic idea" said my parents...ok then I wanted to go to college, well finally I am going and almost finished (In 9 mos). But I even joined the ARMY thinking they'd pay everything for college except didn't read the fine print, that goes for full time ARMY and well, how does full time Army enlistees have the time to attend, I was part time (reserves) so they would have paid 1/3 of the cost, but I couldn't get loans or grants to make up for the cost I would have had out of pocket, (and that was a community college). But maybe I'll complete college this year for once and for all if TS don't HTF. But, knowing my luck, I am not too hopeful. Also I dreamt of having a nice real halfway damn decent home but all I have is a redneck s***Y hole in the wall trailer in a piss poor ass craphole park (Feels like a fema park tbh). I had great dreams of never having to struggle BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
That's a damn joke in society today!!! Frankly I would be surprised if one damn person came on this thread and said they are living their dream!!!!

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

dreams of what may come are great when one is young and full of life. none of my dreams came true. realistic goals, some of those did, but no dreams. i've found in life very few people has a fire lit inside them, something they want to do deeply. they are the lucky ones, they know what to chase.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Maybe on the one hand you're talking about dreams - hopes, desires, plans ... throughout the duration of one's life. On the other hand, there's dreams - the experiences we have during sleep at night. I feel like these are two very different things.

In any event, for me, 100% of my dreams, whichever ones you prefer, have not come true.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I think my dream is in the making. It's been in the making from a very early age. There isn't much stopping me from reaching my ultimate goals.........except for myself. I let my fears and laziness get in the way of my ambitions. I have the talent, I have the tools, I have the support,.... I just let life get in the way and make excuses about how I don't have the time, how tired I am, etc. etc. It's funny because in a way I am living my dream, but this is like the very watered down version of it.

I've got other dreams too, but they're not realistic. Maybe if I lived a couple hundred years I could eventually lead both lives, but I guess I just don't feel driven enough. There are people who really WANT something SO BAD, that they will do anything to get it. Then there are people like myself who want things, dream about things, but don't seem to be as driven. The desire is there, but it's just not strong enough.

In order to make dreams come true you have to want it so bad, that you can barely breathe without it. You have to be willing to do anything to achieve it. It won't just fall in your lap. Ask any of the people who are living their dreams and they'll tell you what they had to go through to get where they are. It wasn't always fun and games. It was hard work, tears and sweat, good times and bad.

Sometimes circumstances beyond our control get in the way of things, but these obstacles are not permanent. For example I see the proof in people who became disabled by losing their arms or legs, or sight, yet they persevere. Some of these disabled individuals accomplish more in their lives than most people do with all their limbs and senses intact! You can accomplish anything if only you want it bad enough. Whatever you do, don't fool yourself into thinking something is impossible, because that will be the end of your journey. When you stop believing, you've finished yourself off.
edit on 16-9-2011 by 2manyquestions because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

My dreams come true all the time. They take work though. Nothing ever came from just a dream. You have to take care of it, nurture it, and believe in it. Take the necessary steps to see it thrive.

Don't be fooled by those that tell you dreams or ideas materialize out of thin air just because you believe they will.

To see a dream become real, you not only have to dream it, but also be an active participant in it.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

Originally posted by Ralphy

Yes like almost every single one. As a child I wanted to be a singer and actress...wasn't born with talent (or the looks apparently kesha and jessica simson have, they're all autotuned and can't carry a tune in a bucket, but they got the looks to make it) well as an actress I never tried I gave up because "it wasn't a realistic idea" said my parents...

Lesson #1 in following one's dreams: NEVER allow other people to tell you what's possible and what isn't. I know parents have a very strong influence on their children. They seem to have all the control. I know, because my parents were not thrilled with my ideas. Instead of quitting, I decided to go for it despite my father's criticism. Eventually he realized that it's what I want to do, what I'm good at doing, and he came to terms with it.He even became supportive in his own way when he saw I wasn't about to give up.

ok then I wanted to go to college, well finally I am going and almost finished (In 9 mos). But I even joined the ARMY thinking they'd pay everything for college except didn't read the fine print, that goes for full time ARMY and well, how does full time Army enlistees have the time to attend, I was part time (reserves) so they would have paid 1/3 of the cost, but I couldn't get loans or grants to make up for the cost I would have had out of pocket, (and that was a community college). But maybe I'll complete college this year for once and for all if TS don't HTF.

Lesson #2. in following dreams: Even when you take the wrong turn sometimes, it's O.K.! You have the power to get back on the right path again. Seems to me like you did what you were supposed to do. Stay strong, don't give up! Finish what you started.

But, knowing my luck, I am not too hopeful. Also I dreamt of having a nice real halfway damn decent home but all I have is a redneck s***Y hole in the wall trailer in a piss poor ass craphole park (Feels like a fema park tbh). I had great dreams of never having to struggle BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
That's a damn joke in society today!!! Frankly I would be surprised if one damn person came on this thread and said they are living their dream!!!!

Lesson #3. in following dreams: Even when it seems like it's over for you, it's not. You have the rest of your life in front of you, and every day is a chance to start over again. Look at J. K. Rowling for example (author of Harry Potter in case you're wondering). She spent years working on those books. She went through a violent, abusive marriage. When she left her husband, she had no job, she lived off welfare while she was taking care of her baby as a single parent, she had to work crap jobs to get by, and when she finally got the courage to finish the books and sent them to publishers, she had to go through dozens and dozens of rejection letters. Despite all the bad luck she seemed to have, look at her now. She's a celebrity, a millionaire, and doing what she loves to do, which is writing. Her perseverance paid off. While some people will attribute her success to luck, her talent and love for her dreams is what got her where she is. She could have stopped writing. She could have said to herself "they hate my books, I'm never sending another manuscript out again", but that's not what happened. She kept at it until it happened for her.

So, in closing..... don't give up on yourself no matter how bad it seems at the moment. If you really want it and you're willing to work hard for it, it will happen for you.
edit on 16-9-2011 by 2manyquestions because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose
reply to post by Ralphy

My dreams come true all the time. They take work though. Nothing ever came from just a dream. You have to take care of it, nurture it, and believe in it. Take the necessary steps to see it thrive.

Don't be fooled by those that tell you dreams or ideas materialize out of thin air just because you believe they will.

To see a dream become real, you not only have to dream it, but also be an active participant in it.

But you gotta have a talent for things too I could dream all I want to be a singer, but I was born tone deaf apparently, so it didn't matter if I had a milllion years I will never make it as a singer, I would dread the thought of going in front of Simon Cowell Lemme tel ya!

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

reply to post by Ralphy

But you gotta have a talent for things too I could dream all I want to be a singer, but I was born tone deaf apparently, so it didn't matter if I had a milllion years I will never make it as a singer, I would dread the thought of going in front of Simon Cowell Lemme tel ya!

Have you ever heard Billy Corgan from the Smashing Pumpkins sing live? I think I'd prefer cats to claw at my ears than listen to him sing live. It didn't stop him from forming one of the most influential rock bands of the 90's.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Yes, you do sort of have to have a talent, or be geared with something that will make a dream come true.

It's a matter of finding something you love, that is within your reach. I don't just have a single dream. While you may love singing, in your case perhaps it should be confined to the shower.

What else you got?

Just like man does not live by bread alone, your dreams have to be diversified!

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
About 15 years ago my father, who was a train driver at the time, was speaking to one of his mates before starting his shift. Just as he was about to leave he told his friend, "Be careful out there today. I had a dream that when I looked in the rear view mirror I saw the train carts derail behind me.." They both went off to work and my dad forgot about it. Next day he got to work and ran into the same guy. He just looked at him and said, "YOU should NOT dream or at least keep them to yourself!" Turns out that the said friends train derailed that previous day. The guy said he saw the derailing carts in his rear view mirror... Every 6 months or so my dad phones me at 3 in the morning to check if Im okay because he had a nasty dream...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

I am settling with doing something in computers because that is where my talent lies and apparently so does the money, but will it make me exhorbitantly happy, doubt it...it's like someone has a gift and that's the last thing that makes them happy, mine is computers.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2manyquestions

reply to post by Ralphy

Have you ever heard Billy Corgan from the Smashing Pumpkins sing live? I think I'd prefer cats to claw at my ears than listen to him sing live. It didn't stop him from forming one of the most influential rock bands of the 90's.

you really do have a valid point there. one had to possess real vocal magic in the 1950's to be on vinyl and get air play. i don't know who broke that mold. Bob Dylan's voice is as soothing as a simultaneous punch in the throat / kick in the groin but his wonderful lyrics made him Rich N. Famous.

the last 30 years has brought us some of the worst voices i never wanted to hear, signed to major labels, selling product like they have talent. in the late '70's it made sense with the Punk genre, it was all rebellion, noise, message. as for the rest of them, whoa!

so..point taken. screw Simon Cowell, he's a very rude fellow. you wanna sing, sing. get out there and make the dogs howl, baby! if it comes from the soul that's all that really matters. put your heart into it and belt it out. life is too short so get out there and be your bad self!

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
now all i can think about is smokeyhaze in a bikini.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by neonitus

Maybe if you get lucky one day Neon..

new topics

top topics

join