It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vintage plane crashes into crowd at Reno air races

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Vintage plane crashes into crowd at Reno air races

www.msnbc.msn.com

RENO, Nev. — A vintage World War II-era plane crashed into a seating area at the annual Reno air races on Friday, injuring at least 75 people, 25 critically. There no immediate word on deaths but one official described the scene as a "mass-casualty situation."

The accident happened just before 4:30 p.m. during the National Championship Air Races at the Reno-Stead Airport, KTVN-TV reported.

Witnesses told KTVN that planes in the Unlimited race were ascending when one aircraft started to nose-dive and then crashed near a spectator stand in the southeast corner. KTVN said the aircraft
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
This is just now unfolding although it looks pretty bad at the moment.

I've been to these races and can attest that 500 mph at 50 feet is something that needs to be experienced to really appreciate.

From the video it looks bad for the pilot but time will shed some light on what's going on.

Thoughts and prayers for everyone involved...

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 16-9-2011 by Drunkenparrot because: edit to embed video.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
that is horrible !!

reading some of the comments 80 year old pilot?

really?

I am weary about lettin ga 80 year old drive a car let alone a plane !!

terrible accident .. i wish i had time and money to check out one of these shows . I love these planes and the air shows

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
We have a discussion here with many videos:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by _BoneZ_
We have a discussion here with many videos:

Thank you.

Apologies to mods, please close topic.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Thoughts, prayers and condolences to all involved.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
As a private pilot these air races have always concerned me.

No racetrack in the country would allow spectators to sit trackside without very strong walls and catch fences. And sitting that close to airplanes under race conditions is the same thing.

These air races are accidents waiting to happen.

A car crashes the walls contain it, but these souped up warbirds could end up anywhere.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Very odd.

I I dreampt about a plane crash this morning. The plane had a US flag on the side below the cocpit. There were lots of people arround. Not a preminition - I had the dream many hours after the plane actually crashed. Just odd that I had that dream and then the firat news article I see this AM is this one. Spooky.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
here is a better angle.

is this the pilot going "belly up" too soon or just the fact that his plane couldnt handle it?

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by readytorevolt

Its wayyy too early to tell.

These aircraft are highly modified versions of what are already very high performance machines so a thousand different things can go wrong at any moment.

Out of respect I'm personally witholding speculation untill all the facts are available, which will not be for some time yet.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
wait, a small plane hit the ground straight on at almost 500mph and it didn't disintergrate? I thought thats what happens to planes when they do that?

please don't take this as me not sympathising with the victims, I'm just pointing out that the plane was recognizeable, unlike flight 93.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Myendica
wait, a small plane hit the ground straight on at almost 500mph and it didn't disintergrate? I thought thats what happens to planes when they do that?

please don't take this as me not sympathising with the victims, I'm just pointing out that the plane was recognizeable, unlike flight 93.

No comparison whatsoever. Consider height and impact surface.

See following posted in reply to you in other thread.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Myendica

Maybe you should watch more footage, because it sure as hell did disintegrate.

There weren't many pieces larger than a loaf of bread.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
You scratched the paint!!!! $%#%$

top topics

join