It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CRASH at Reno Air Races *NOW*

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Those youtube comments are distgusting.

I would suggest any people with family/friends there
that could of been hurt/injured NOT read them..

Well anyone really.

SMS update on my phone hospital recieved 22 people
2 have died...
t.co...
edit on 16-9-2011 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem
Those youtube comments are distgusting.

I would suggest any people with family/friends there
that could of been hurt/injured NOT read them..

Well anyone really.

SMS update on my phone hospital recieved 22 people
2 have died...
t.co...
edit on 16-9-2011 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

I voted thumbs up to the "DISABLE COMMENTS" comment.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker11

I heard that too..On another Feed.
That he was 74....

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Yes you're right 74.
They said 80 on his official facebook page. I'm familiar with him as a mustang pilot, but didn't know exact age.
I still stand by what I said though. Not many people, let alone 74 year olds who could react that quickly to a situation.
Wish I was near enough to help out with the blood situation. There was a guy on one of the videos who'd lost his leg, he was smiling and trying to reassure the people around him that he was okay.
What a guy!

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I usually regret posting on the interwebs when I am drunk, but here it goes anyway;
I am very sorry this happened.
I think Jimmy Leeward is a Hero.
It looks like he lost control of the ailerons (roll axis).
Broken cable?
The plane rolled. I don't know, but I'd be willing to bet that streamline plane won't fly upsidedown very well.

He had to make a tough decision.

Try to save himeself and the plane but put the spectators at risk (down eleavator), or not risk hitting the grandstands and pull up trying do a inverted loop knowing he did not have enough altitude to complete it, but knowing he would hit the ramp and not the spectators.

I think Jimmy Leeward is a hero.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Most of the youtube videos have been taken down. I can understand the ones people were posting that involved gore, however it seems they are taking down anything that shows the crash.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Bah, I can't sleep...
I hope they don't turn me away tomorrow for having tired blood.

Pictures are starting to surface, and it looks like the failure of an elevator trim tab is probably going to be the cause.

Witnesses are saying that he was heading right for the grandstands, and at the very last second was able to avoid the most populated section, possibly saving countless lives.

As always, any time something like this happens, it's a tragedy, and the death toll is very likely to climb according to those that were there.

My thoughts go out to those families affected by this terrible mishap.

edit on 17-9-2011 by lernmore because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Just reading up on it and watched some videos.... Just awful.

Here are a couple of stills, pre and post impact.

I'm surprised so few died.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by brill
Why do they continue to have these stupid events. Crashes seem to happen more often these days, its a senseless and unnecessary waste of life.

brill

So everyone should just stay in their homes then, in their beds, praying not to get killed by a meteor or blood clot.

No.

People have freedom and should have freedom, freedom to live life and do what they like. There's nothing painfully stupid about doing an airshow or watching an airshow. That's what they wanted to do. Once in a while, terrible things can happen. Sorry but I don't see airshows as something that society needs to outlaw. You'd better outlaw just about everything then.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
reply to post by spacedoubt

Yes, He was an 80 year old pilot named Jimmy Leeward.

RIP Jimmy Leeward, wish your family and friends
had looked after you better.

That was a rather heartless comment to post. I think it would be better to wait until the results of any investigation come out before people start saying that it was caused by the age of the pilot.
From the pics and vids that I have seen it would seem that he was doing his best to keep the plane out of the crowd.
And also quite insulting to his family and friends! What should they have done? Not allow him to take part in an event he obviously loved?
I think it is great that someone of his age was doing this. It just shows the passion he had for flying.
RIP Jimmy.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by exdog5

Originally posted by cahlmac
reply to post by exdog5

That's not good,..

Hope all your relatives are okay.

Thanks, My father may be there and my uncle was going for sure, just not sure which days...no answer at either phone numbers...

exdog5,

I was wondering if you had any updated news on your family? I could see you were worried about them in the opening post and this one.

I do hope they were not there, or if they were, I hope they are safe.

Well Wishes.

IWOH

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Like I said before..

I thought a plane hitting the ground straight on at almost 500mph would cause it to not be recognizeable after the crash? how does a huge plane bury itself underground, while a small one leaves debris?

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by lernmore

after seeing that picture i'd say it was 100% elevator failure too. having flown single engined aircraft quite a lot I can categorically say that with an elevator becoming detached like that, a crash was inevitable... it's a miracle lots more weren't killed.. and i agree, to steer it away from the grandstands was a heroic AND difficult thing to do.

rip to those that lost their lives and are affected by this.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by exdog5

I posted this yesterday: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
This is truly sad, Jimmy Leeward lived about a half mile from me here in central Fl and I used to get the opportunity to watch him in action on most evenings when he wasn't on the tour. I even had the honor of flying with him several times and once in one of his P-51's a couple of years ago. He was truly a wonderful caring man, a legendary pilot and will be a greatly missed member of our community.

Rest in peace Jimmy and all those whom lost their lives on this tragic day

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Myendica
Like I said before..

I thought a plane hitting the ground straight on at almost 500mph would cause it to not be recognizeable after the crash? how does a huge plane bury itself underground, while a small one leaves debris?

Nice interjection.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Story has been redacted... RGJ was reporting 2 deaths overnight, but now they are reporting it as the total... so that's, at least, some good news. Total stands at 3.

The N.T.S.B. will be holding a press conference at 12:15 P.S.T. at Reno-Stead.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by cahlmac

I didn't mean to sound heartless,
I apologize. He did the right thing
to veer from the grandstand. After
all the problem was with the plane.
I feel ashamed, I was just thinking
of how some families don't take
good care of their elderly family
members. I am 64 and I have
had that experience with my
family. I am so sorry to be
insensitive.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

No problem,. I guess something in your post just hit a nerve for some reason.
I'm sure you weren't trying to be heartless with your comment.

Sad to hear about the loss of life, but by the sounds of things it could have been a lot worse.
It's very upsetting when you think of people going out to enjoy a day, competitors or spectators, and they don't come home. RIP all.

p.s. sorry to hear about the experience you had with your family.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join