It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CRASH at Reno Air Races *NOW*

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Graphic Video: it's long if you skip to about 39 mins into it you'll see it crash and the aftermath: Graphic

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by WhoDat09

It seems to be offline right now.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
reply to post by WhoDat09

It seems to be offline right now.

Too many people watching it?

I saw something like 230k people were watching it...

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

The live stream at ABC 7 just came back up.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Another video:

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I thought I heard the announcer on ABC 7
say the pilot was 80 years old. Can someone
confirm this?

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Yes, he was 80! I don't think 80 year olds need to be driving much less flying anything .... not trying to be mean .... just sayin!

6:40 p.m. update: The American Red Cross in Reno says it is on standby and that people who call are being referred to United Blood Services. Lisa Rogers, donor recruitment supervisor at United Blood Services, said it was working with local hospitals to determine their needs. 6:36 p.m. update: An 80-year-old pilot who has been flying since he was 18 slammed his modified aircraft into the tarmac after his aircraft appeared to malfunction.

Source

EDIT: They took the part he was 80 out of there, but it was there what I quoted above was what the page said before!
edit on 16-9-2011 by WhoDat09 because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-9-2011 by WhoDat09 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Yes, He was an 80 year old pilot named Jimmy Leeward. A movie Stunt Pilot as a career
www.imdb.com...

There will be a memorial service for him.
there was a local headline that the races were cancelled...But now that headline is gone.

edit on 16-9-2011 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
The plane was vintage as well -
don't think an 80 year old pilot
and a vintage plane go too well
together. Not being mean either
as I am a senior but I know when
its time to stop driving or flying.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Jimmy Leeward, as well as two spectators that were transported to Renown Hospital have been pronounced dead so far.

75 injured, at least 25 critically, and the rest of the races have been cancelled.

What a tragic day.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

Yes, He was an 80 year old pilot named Jimmy Leeward.

RIP Jimmy Leeward, wish your family and friends
had looked after you better.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Out of all 3 videos I've seen so far, the moment of the impact is always obscured from view. In the first video a guy stands up in front of him. In the other two it seems like they turn away moments before the impact and then turn back again to see what happened.
edit on 16-9-2011 by ChaoticOrder because: spelling

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I'm near the hospital.

And the choppers are still going back and forth to Stead/Reno..
And it's windy...Just watched a chopper, try a few approaches until he felt comfortable to land.
It's a normal evening Wind off the hills...But I can see the choppers having a rough time.
Send them good will......

and now they are asking for blood donations...Type 0+ and the AB's

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Eighty years old? The kind of G-forces that a pilot experiences in those types of races and maneuvers can be dangerous for a healthy human, let alone someone of an elderly age.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
My heart goes out to the injured and families who have lost their loved ones. What a tragedy.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I went to the air races from 1999 to 2002 and saw two crashes and one midair where one plane went down and one somehow made it down on the runway.

This was one of the reasons i always wore my fire department/EMT jacket so i was identified as a first responder if there was a mass casualty incident.

I am guessing what the FAA will do but i see the air races moving from Stead to some place more open.
The area around Stead is getting too built up for future air races of this type and needs a area they can move the course farther from the public stands.
Pyramid lake, Tonopah or the Black Rock Desert.

I know they have had people take about holding jet aircraft races at black rock desert.(Migs ECT)

The problem is none of the good places have enough lodging for all the people that would want to go

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Yes, 80 is a ripe old age to be flying.

BUT; The plane came down because of mechanical error, not pilot error so age shouldn't even come into it, it could have happened to a 20 year old with far slower reflexes who could have let her crash fully into the grandstand.

As it stands, he called mayday, so he knew something was wrong with her, and then did his best to get her out of the way..
Considering this included flying her instantly, up and over, to try and protect spectators I don't think those 80 year old reflexes did too badly at all.. . Anyone who knows anything about planes, or flying can see that from the video footage.

RIP Jimmy. Blue skies and strong tail winds. xx
:'(

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

I just contacted Renown and they do urgently need donations.
The blood bank won't be open until 8am, but I'll be there.

If you're in the area and want to help, please do.

United Blood Service
1125 Terminal Way.
Reno, NV. 89502

775-329-6451

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Deplume

I happen to agree with you there, we don't know what happened or what he could have done to avoid it.

RIP Jimmy =(

EDIT: Pilot was 74 years old according to CNN
edit on 16-9-2011 by WhoDat09 because: pilot's age

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
The live press release going on right now said Jimmy was 74, not 80.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join