It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should I stay, or should I go?? What would you do fellow ATS members?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I am on the fence here, and thought maybe I could get some input from those of you here at ATS.

Here is the situation...given the current economy, I am struggling to find work in my area. I would say that my location has been the bottom of the barrel the past 10 years (and only getting worse) in regards to employment. I live in the mountains, in a very small community, very rural setting. But there are no jobs unless I travel an hour to an hour and a half away. I have 4 school age children still at home, and no help with sick days, dr appointments, etc. Making it difficult to even consider taking a job that far away.

I have put in an application an hour and half away from here. Its local to where my parents currently live. Its a small city. I would have to move in order to take the job. I would most likely end up in a condo/town home or apartment with the kids. I would have employment beyond child support (which is what I am desperate need of). Child support has become sporadic due to the kids dad who a builder and having a hard time finding work up north. When he works, he pays. When he doesn't work, he can't. Which makes it hard for me to maintain bills, or even have an idea what I have to work with from month to month.

My biggest concern is this economy. I could have a job once hired, but for how long? If the SHTF I am going to be in a place I don't think I would want to be. At least here in the mountains, I know I can survive, and those in the community are all hunters and survivors. I have 10 acres of land that I can allow anyone to hunt on.

I am so torn ...do I stay?...or do I go?

Do I go to where I am going to have employment for the time being? OR, do I stay and hang on a wing and a prayer that child support comes in a bit more regularly?

Do I go and hope the SHTF situation does not happen? If it does- I would be better off in this small community vs in a small city where people are not gonna know what to do.

Do I go and hope that the job I have will still be there in 2/3/6 months, or do I stay put knowing that I can make it, even when support is lagging - at least I have up until now? Makes it tough, stressful and close calls to my power being shut off, car being repo, etc.

Honestly, I would rather have money coming in for now. If child support came in it would be extra. BUT, if TSHTF and I am relocated and lost my job, I would be screwed there.

Soooo....what say you? Would you go for the job and hope you are able to keep it? Or would you go for the security of knowing if TSHTF you are in the best possible place you could be?

*Note* Sometimes I wish I wasn't so up on the news and how bad things really look. Some times I wish I could go back to that box I once lived in, and didn't know (or care) what was going on in the world around me. If i was still in that box, I would be gone from here.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
If you rent those ten acres, then move to where the jobs are.

If you own the ten acres, then rent them and still move to where the jobs are.

Good luck.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by summer5

Is there any chance you could go to the city, and keep your mountain property? I'm not sure if you own or rent. The best would be to have both options, but how many of us have that? Maybe you could keep your contacts in the mountains, and perhaps work out a deal with one or more of them where you could return if TSHTF? It's a tough choice. But it's good that you do know how to survive in a rural setting. If you own your mountain place, could you rent it out to someone while you went to the city, maybe for more than enough to cover your mortgage if you have one?

The thing is, the S might hit the fan, but it's so hard to say when. Working in the city, and hopefully saving some money, could be the best plan if we knew the proverbial S wasn't going to do that for a while.

I say, go for the job in the city. We can't know for usre when things might fall apart, if, indeed , they are going to. In the meantime, food needs to be bought, and bills need to be paid. Ain't no way around that. Well, there is a way around that, I suppose, with enough like-minded people around.

That was a lot of typing, just to say I don't know. Sorry.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

I was just singing this song less then an hour ago.lol

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
if it be at all possible: Do Both. If you own the property you are on; I would sell all but the most secluded acre that you could access. Sell the rest , and go get the job. then use the small area you have kept in the mountains as a "bug out" area.
If you do not own the land, there is a very good chance Your Land Lord would evict you anyway if things get tough.
but if you do own. even if you owe on it, sell most of it off, keep a small area to bug out and get yourself near a job. keep Bug out boxes, or bags available. you did say you were only 1 1/2 hours away. keep your tank full, buy some mountain bikes and simply be ready to bug out. Best of both worlds. If your ex owns the land it or part of it, get him soonest and fill him in. Otherwise your opportunity for bug out may be gone.
I to wish things were as they were as you do. But I have been nosing around ATS for a long time. member for nearly a year now, and some time before I even knew ATS existed I was well aware of what was coming. Things will soon get testy but don't jump the gun. Just keep a cool head and do everything with your children's safety and security in mind, and you will surely do the right Thing.
God Bless
DH

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I personally would not move for a job that might not last more than a couple of months. If you had some assurances that the job was going to last a year or more then I would consider it.

Have you considered ways you could make money where you are? Perhaps you have a garden, you could sell fresh vegetables.

There are probably options for you to stay where you are and make money, try thinking of things or services you would pay for if available and then consider if you could make money doing that. In my own experience, I started selling BBQ sauce and doing a bit of catering on the weekends to bring in some extra money.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
You have 4 kids who need food, clothing, shelter, education and medical care, NOW!
How is this a difficult decision? I'm not being a butthead. I'd go to where there is work so I can provide for my children.

link   
reply to post by Jebbaroo

Actually, I could tell you were thinking along the same lines I have been - THANK YOU!

It is the IF or WHEN SHTF. Yet in this particular situation its the economy that is really worrying me. So many people are without and still loosing their jobs.

I had wondered if my oldest son might want to stay and rent the place, but I don't think he could afford it on his own. And I really don't want a bunch of kids living here. I had thought about leasing it out - but if I chose (or HAD) to come back, I don't want to have to kick someone out on short notice.

My common sense is saying to go and give it a try. Even if it doesn't work out, there are still MANY more opportunities there than there are here.

link   
i feel for you.. unfortunately being forced to move to a city is a reality millions around the globe have been forced to do for decades now..

its hard to give you a solid answer to your problem without knowing where you live and where the job is first hand.. but all i can say to you is always do what you feel is best for your children.

you said the job is close to your parents.. is it possible to stay there on a temporary basis, keeping your property?
also renting as already said is a good option..

personally this is the solution i would aim towards.. just find some way of making enough money to survive and use the resources i have around me.

Have you considered ways you could make money where you are? Perhaps you have a garden, you could sell fresh vegetables. There are probably options for you to stay where you are and make money, try thinking of things or services you would pay for if available and then consider if you could make money doing that. In my own experience, I started selling BBQ sauce and doing a bit of catering on the weekends to bring in some extra money.

edit on 16/9/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by outandopen

That's so funny! I had that song in my head when I typed the title!

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

Good luck.

I have been thinking along both those lines.

I only maintain an acre and half (maybe 2) around the house. The rest is overgrown pasture (well now there are trees growing in there!).

I have put in applications to cell tower companies, haven't heard back yet.

I have thought of renting the land for either live stock, or christmas tree farmers (they are pretty big around here).

Other than that, I am not sure what to do with the vacant land.

I really don't want to rent the place out.

I have thought of possibly letting someone lease the land for just about anything..just don't know what else to lease it for.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

Good luck.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by DavidsHope
if it be at all possible: Do Both. If you own the property you are on; I would sell all but the most secluded acre that you could access. Sell the rest , and go get the job. then use the small area you have kept in the mountains as a "bug out" area.
If you do not own the land, there is a very good chance Your Land Lord would evict you anyway if things get tough.
but if you do own. even if you owe on it, sell most of it off, keep a small area to bug out and get yourself near a job. keep Bug out boxes, or bags available. you did say you were only 1 1/2 hours away. keep your tank full, buy some mountain bikes and simply be ready to bug out. Best of both worlds. If your ex owns the land it or part of it, get him soonest and fill him in. Otherwise your opportunity for bug out may be gone.
I to wish things were as they were as you do. But I have been nosing around ATS for a long time. member for nearly a year now, and some time before I even knew ATS existed I was well aware of what was coming. Things will soon get testy but don't jump the gun. Just keep a cool head and do everything with your children's safety and security in mind, and you will surely do the right Thing.
God Bless
DH

Well my "landlord" is my father. He had loaned me the money to buy the property/house 10 years ago. I had not been able to pay him back for it, so I deeded it back to him. I know he would want to sell, if he could. Although he just sold 4 of his other properties last month - so I don't know if he would want to sell right away (for tax purposes).

I am pretty sure that we could possibly keep the property for a bit of time - maybe 6 months or so. I would have to consult him to see what he would want to do one way or the other.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

I wish I could stay with my parent, however my older brother is already living with them for the past year due to the economy and him not having a job.

Plus, as much as they love their grandchildren, I don't think any one would want to be imposed on by 5 people moving in with them (possibly 6 if my oldest son decided to come along).

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by kyred
You have 4 kids who need food, clothing, shelter, education and medical care, NOW!
How is this a difficult decision? I'm not being a butthead. I'd go to where there is work so I can provide for my children.

I know you are not being a butthead! However, I am able to take care of my children, its just getting very tough in my area (like most people). At this point, I am ready to live "paycheck to paycheck"...at least I know what i have to work with.

I had not mentioned this yet...this is where my guilt comes in - I have daughters who are in high school...one will graduate next year, and the next one the year after. I know when my dad was offered a job in TX when I was a junior in HS...I cried my eyes out. I didn't want to move to a new place, start all over when I was almost done with school. I don't want to do that to my kids either. They are smart and doing very well in school. I fear a move may make them resent me - and we have a VERY good relationship. I have talked with them about this. Before school started this year they were all for it. Now that they are in school for 6 weeks, they feel differently.

I know I am the adult and I have to do, what I have to do..but I don't want to screw my kids up in the process, not when they are this close to graduating.

UGH!! So much to consider

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Hard choices we have to make in this economy.
I would at least lease out part of your land that is not being used.
That's income coming in for something that is just sitting there.
My dad and his brothers own several hundred acres in Iowa,and none of them live there anymore.
They lease it all out and make a pretty good income off of it.
But,if you do that,you have to look into to the legal aspects of it and the liabilities.
They formed a either llc,or corporation ,I don't remember.
But that is a different situation.
I would say go for the job. If it only lasts a few months,well,that was a few months income.
Good luck!!

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Hey....

Im no financial adviser or wizz kid, but if your budget can hold you then simply seek professional advice as to your best possible outlet to the problem.

Soz, no cream and sugar from my end.

new topics

top topics

join