It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New NASA video (TODAY: Friday Sept 16, 2011) ensuring "Comet Elenin no threat"

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by tracehd1

This whole Elenin nonsense started with Terral Croft. A man who has been proven to be lying or hoaxing time and again. Unfortunately, by that point we had 9Narnia getting lucky which started the whole alignment hysteria. However, she was shown to be fraud when she made another prediction that didn't come true and was logged onto her YouTube account when she was supposed to be hiding in the mountains with no internet.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by tracehd1

lmaoo KnowITall people... aren't they great?

*Thanks for the quick response..." you say... *lol* He's always quickly responding...lol lol

Yeah he responds to debunk threads so fast, it's almost like this is his real job!!

Oh wait...

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
There's certainly enough material available around here to give Phage a full time job!

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by BenReclused
reply to post by sbctinfantry

Yeah, they're not talking about it and I, for one, want to know why?!

I am not one of "them" therefore, I am sure that I can't answer that question to your satisfaction. Have you considered asking "them". "They", no doubt, have email accounts.

I will toss this one to you anyway: Comet Elenin just isn't newsworthy.

I feel "DJW001" did a very good job of answering someone else's similar question with:

There are about a dozen new comets discovered every year. How many of them do you see as "filler" on the news? None of them. Every once in a while an unusually spectacular comet like Hale-Bopp or Kouhoutek will come by and make a splash... but the rest? Check out Sky & Telescope's blog if you want news about comets, not CNN.

Just so you know:
Richard C. Hoagland is as full of crap (I would have preferred a word that rymes with "it"!) as a Thanksgiving Day turkey!

See ya,
Milt

Wow, you really don't understand sarcasm do you? Maybe you should go back and read the whole post, instead of the first line. It helps you out a lot, as far as credbility and readability as an ATS member. It must hurt with all that air between your ears.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Well, whether it ever was a threat at all appears to be a moot point, now.

Looks like it did not survive perihelion.

But, back to the point [that this thread turned into], why was this seemingly interesting nugget of news not more widespread? *sigh*. News sucks!

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Like CLPrime said in Chadiwickus' thread - which only makes my argument for it 'being newsworthy' even all-the-more relevant:

Look at what happened with this comet. It came in from the outer-most reaches of the solar system for the first time ever. It was something no human eyes had ever seen before. It entered the inner solar system, and, on its first approach, was hit by a CME and disintegrated at perihelion.

In any rational, logic-based, and scientifically-driven society, this would have been a beautiful, once-in-multiple-lifetimes event. But, what have we done to it. It became a mockery and a testament of our own (in)ability to base ourselves in common sense.

What should have been a truly astronomical event was turned, by us, into a source of cynical paranoia.

Those who saw this for what it was - comet being seen by us for the first, and now last, time - should feel privileged, both to have witnessed and appreciated such an occurrence.
Those who saw this as yet another chance to degrade, reject, and slander our sciences and to take advantage of others - they should be humiliated. But, of course, they won't be. They weren't the last time, nor the time before that... and they won't be the next time. Whatever the reasons people use to justify their insolence...I just hope they're satisfied.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SquirrelNutz

While it was an interesting object for the astronomical community, the rest of the populace simply wouldn't have cared. Unless a comet has a high possibility for being a Great Comet, or does something interesting like Shoemaker-Levy 9, the media doesn't care. Just look at Comet West for example. It traveled farther and longer than Elenin and ended up being a Great Comet, but it really didn't get any attention at all because at the time astronomers couldn't guarantee it would be a Great Comet.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Alot of folks come on here acting like there was no info on this comet for people to take pause at.That comes off to me to be one sided and short minded.Bottom line is that we will no for sure either way on the 27.

edit on 19-9-2011 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by deadeyedick

Well, nothing so far, although the 'big' NASA conference on NEOs is today @ noon.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by deadeyedick

Alot of folks come on here acting like there was no info on this comet for people to take pause at.That comes off to me to be one sided and short minded.Bottom line is that we will no for sure either way on the 27.

There was plenty of info on this comet, yet YouTube hoaxers ignored it and posted garbage. The 27th has come and gone, and it is now clear where all the "disinformation" was coming from.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join