It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

William Shatner Compares Star Trek To Star Wars. He Doesn't Think Much Of Star Wars. Hilarious.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I thought that this video was just priceless and I think it is great that we still have Captain Kirk around to stir the pot.

In this hilarious interview, William Shatner decries Star Wars as being 'all special effects' and finally suggests an alternative ending to Star Wars wherein Captain Kirk runs off with Princess Leia with Chewbacca in hot pursuit.

This video is a must see for fans of both movies and I hope you find it as entertaining as I did.

So, do you agree with Shatner? Or is he full of tribbles?

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I feel the same as the Shat. Star Wars became crap when, Jar Jar and all the re-dos became part of it all. It has become a joke. A childrens movie. Once a golden egg. Now a giant brown turd.
edit on 16-9-2011 by Frankenchrist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Looks like a lot of this interview is missing. There were several fade-in/fade-outs. I wonder what they cut out here?

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Always disliked star wars, and never got what the fuss is all about. Perhaps it's because I grew up reading CLASSIC 'hard' science fiction...i cannot stand these types of human tales that are called scifi just because they are in outer space...i like stories like bergeron's engine or whatever it's called and houses that are tesseracts and you meet your past or future selves in it and fall out of the window onto a rose bush or a prime-number locked flying prison cube in open space...i wanna know how the ship moves and what cool social structures the otherworlders have and intelligent interaction between species not always let's shoot them omg they are shooting at us let's fly away. I love larry niven and fredrick pohl and kurt vonnegut jr. and robert silverberg et al.
i like bruce sterling and ursula le guin and wotzisname (can't remember it it's foreign sounding but his stories are great) as well.

apologies for lack of punctuation but i am typing this lying down and the lights are out so i can't do the shift key action too well

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Don't know about Shat being full of tribbles, but looking at his waistline, he's full o' something...
And for my two cents, both star trek and star wars have their place. Not all of either is perfect, so why argue about it? Just enjoy what you will in your parents' dark basement.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
You should see Fanboys...where Shatner hands the guys maps, etc. of Skywalker Ranch, so they can break in, hehe...

The good things about Star Wars vs. Star Trek:

1. It's a "lived in" universe...the ships have dents and scrapes, etc. It's more "real"
2. The aliens are actually different, not just humans with funky noses or eye ridges.
3. They still use money. Star Wars isn't a utopia, it's again, more "real" in this sense.
4. The Force, of course (minus the stupid midichlorian crap in Phantom)
5. Leia's gold bikini!

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
You should see Fanboys...

Hilarious movie! I particularly love the scene where they go out of their way to visit Shatner's hometown...

"What did Spock find in Kirk's bathroom?"

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by rainychica

Heya,

just wanted to thank you for your candid and very natural post; thanks for being you. From your screen name I take it you are a girl, which is a little unusual for a sci fi and fantasy fan; especially a reader of hard sci fi.

At what age did the affliction set in (how long have you been reading the stuff?)?

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

You should see Fanboys...where Shatner hands the guys maps, etc. of Skywalker Ranch, so they can break in, hehe...

The good things about Star Wars vs. Star Trek:

1. It's a "lived in" universe...the ships have dents and scrapes, etc. It's more "real"
2. The aliens are actually different, not just humans with funky noses or eye ridges.
3. They still use money. Star Wars isn't a utopia, it's again, more "real" in this sense.
4. The Force, of course (minus the stupid midichlorian crap in Phantom)
5. Leia's gold bikini!

I sure did see Fanboys and I loved that scene.

We must have gone to High School in the same county or something; all five of your points are the same conclusions that we came to when my friends and I were teens. I like to watch Next Generation repeats on the BBC and to this day I can't get over the Make-up thing; they really did just sort of slap a new nose on something and call it a new race. The Borg aren't even really all that impressive, merely kind of cool looking, but still a guy with a bunch of prosthetics attached to him.

I wish Roddenberry had lived longer.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Well, I like Star Trek and Star Wars (and I consider Return of the Jedi my favourite movie of all time) but the two are quite different in tone. As Shatner mentions, Star Trek was more about the humanity and philosophy of things; Star Wars didn't have much of that at all, it was more about the action. Star Wars definitely did have more special effects, but again, remember when TOS aired; they had less available to them. Even the Star Trek movies don't have as many special effects as Star Wars, though.

I don't see Star Wars being derivative of Star Trek much at all, though it is derivative of other science fiction predating them both. Also, Shatner talks about how you have no idea what a lot of the Star Wars actors really looked like under their costumes... does that really matter? I mean, I guess you can't see some of their real facial movements and things like that, but it doesn't detract from the movie at all.

The one major point I disagree with though is when Shatner says that he thinks the Abrams movie is a good thing for the franchise. Now, I did really enjoy the movie, but I was extremely annoyed at the complete obliteration of the entire timeline and all the canon being rewritten at Abrams' whim. I kept thinking that somehow Ambassador Spock would 'fix' things somehow, and when the movie ended, my reaction was like...

well, like this...

edit on 18-9-2011 by DragonsDemesne because: because the youtube embed button doesn't actually have the right format, had to find SO's example thread to do it right

edit on 18-9-2011 by DragonsDemesne because: still managed to do it slightly wrong :p

edit: crap, of course the stupid youtube screenshot has profanity on it :p I hope I don't get in trouble for that...
edit on 18-9-2011 by DragonsDemesne because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

hey - since I was about 10 or 11 .. I taught my sis math and got her thru a test, so my mum's friend bought me an anthology as a present, and that was it...i was hooked...there was a small bookstore made of glass where we used to go shopping on sundays, and he had every larry niven novel ever...so every few weeks I'd get a new larry niven book etc etc how it all began hehe : ) it's too bad my math aptitude didn't hold up in high school or i'da been a space scientist

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by rainychica

Good little story, rainychica.

Thanks for that.

top topics

join