It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How your beliefs influence your Reality and why there is no "Truth".

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
The whole article is at www.wisdomdome.com...

Everybody believes in something; whether it be Christianity, Buddhism, Spirituality, Atheism, or Agnosticism. Even Science, at it’s core, is nothing more than a belief. When you boil life down to it’s rawest, most core principals, everybody believes in something. You either believe in God, or you don’t believe in god. You believe in life after death, or you don’t believe in life after death. You believe in Evolution, or you don’t believe in Evolution. No matter who you are or what you think, you have your own personal set of unique beliefs that you’ve developed over your lifetime. Most people develop their beliefs by either conforming to, or rebelling against other peoples beliefs, but in most cases it’s a triad of things that affect what we believe.

We take what others believe and take the parts that we like and accept them.
We take what others believe and take the parts that we don’t like and reverse or ignore them.
We take what we personally experience or determine is possible and accept it as true.

For example, there are plenty of Christians who believe that Homosexuality is a sin, and Christians that believe that Homosexuality is perfectly okay as Jesus/God loves everybody as they are. There are people who believe in a God that is almighty and lurking above them judging every action, and people who believe that we are all God and all One with the universe. Some people believe that we each have a Higher Self in the Spirit Realm and that this Higher Self has an overall plan of our lives, and some people that believe that there is no Spiritual Realm and that we are all just animals that evolved from Monkeys. Some people believe that we “meant to do” certain things but have control of most of our lives and some people that believe that we are all working according to Higher Self’s plans/scripts precisely. There are even people that have a mixture of beliefs of many of the above.

So what is the Truth?

There are unlimited amounts of belief structures out there, and it’s easy to point fingers and say that certain religions or belief structures are wrong, stupid, illogical, or consider certain people delusional for what they believe, but to each of these people who maintain their beliefs is exactly how they experience Reality. There is no such thing as one defined “Reality” because every person experiences Reality based on their own unique beliefs. The person who believes in Evolution is no more right or wrong than the person who believes in Creation. Right about now you’re probably thinking “But if one isn’t the Truth than the other has to be true, right?”, and the answer is – Wrong. The Truth is that there is no “Truth”, and if there is it exists on such a level that no Human will possibly ever know until they experience the ultimate question of inevitable death, even then we may be further away from the answer than we want or think. Judging one persons beliefs according to your own is pointless and gets you absolutely nowhere because you’re both experiencing beliefs based on your own perception of reality.

To a Christian, if they one day recover from Cancer then they believe that God or Jesus had granted them a miracle. To a Positive Thinker in the same situation, they might believe that they thought or imagined their way to recovery. To a Scientist the credit would be given to the medication. To the Skeptic it may have been luck or chance. What would it be to you? The fact is that in all of the above situations, many believed or felt that they would recover. Sure, there have been situations where people didn’t think that they were going to make it and they have, but belief, feeling, and attitude drastically increase the odds of overcoming any situation – whether the belief be through a God, Medication, Luck, or Perseverance. This applies to most things, not only Cancer. It could be surviving a natural disaster, overcoming getting stuck in the desert, finding a new job after being fired, or any situation at all. There have been many cases where one’s spouse has died and the other person literally believed that they couldn’t make it without their spouse and had died based on that belief alone.

Take the Placebo Effect for example, people are given sugar pills and are told that it is medication for whatever they may be experiencing, and a lot of the times the placebo is just as effective as the actual medication. This is proof that you experience your own unique Reality based on what you believe. Here is a great video explaining just how powerful Placebo’s actually are (even though it’s actually our beliefs as the placebo is generally just a sugar pill and has no effects at all).

“The Truth” is that you will experience reality exactly as you want to experience it. Quantum Physics takes Science to a different level and supports a lot of the beliefs of Spirituality and gives “Scientific evidence” that many people need in order to understand certain Truths about reality. Quantum Physics states that our perception directly affects everything in the physical universe and that we are powerful co-creators and that each and every one of us literally create our own reality. That’s leaving a lot open for you, as Quantum Physics (much like Science) is still discovering more and more about the Universe that we live in. Quantum Physics ultimately has a lot of potential and is a powerful belief system and gives you a lot of control over your reality especially if you have based your Reality on Religion or Science, as those in particular create an incredibly limiting experience of reality based on fear and powerlessness.

If we experience Reality based on beliefs, then why can’t people fly or walk on water?

There are unlimited amounts...

The whole article is at www.wisdomdome.com...

So what do you guys think about this? I always hear theories that we're spiritual beings, or that we're all god, or all one, or that we're just humans without any purpose living on a neutral earth that doesn't care, and plenty of other theories.

I can resonate with this, everybody always disagrees about another persons reality, and people who live in different realities experience completely different results from the same things. While the "Ultimate Truth" is unknown, we can only take what we know and understand of our lives, continue to expand our knowledge, and shape our reality based on what we're given, experience, and subjectively decide to stop ignoring and accept into our realities. Whether it be god, our higher selves, or our selves that give us the nuggets of wisdom or belief challenging events and experience is a whole other thing that we'll never really know.
edit on 16-9-2011 by OhNoItsCritical because: Clarification.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Watch out when you try to live that way for people will call u fanciful and ignorant and things of that nature. But thats the point of it all, to be yourself in obscurity. The pursuit is long and difficult fa sho trust me I'm going through the business end right now, but I also know that there's a light at the end of my hardships and I stay focused on a goal. That goal is to be a HUMAN(myself) at all times. And when you come out with a fresh white tee on neck blingin like neon as crooked i would say you'll only have yourself to thank. For you can't control other people's reality you can only be a beacon for which they can strive to reach in their own unique way...

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
HOLY COW... Isn't that the truth

I would please like to introduce you to a infamous quote by one hell of a guy... that will flush the so called 'TRUTH BOWEL MOVMENT'

His Sheeple said to him, Do you want us to pray? How should we fast? Should we give to charity(Vatican is in trouble on that one) What diet should we observe?

Jesus(aka?) said; "Don't lie to yourself, and don't do what you hate(settle down Ezekiel 5ers), because ALL THINGS are 'Project Disclosure' before heaven... After all, there is nothing hidden(Area 51/52/53/55)that will not be revealed, and there is nothing covered up that will remain undisclosed

Mr X-ULTRA/QUANTUM... Saying; "In the time of the end of the old and the beginning of the new... The truth and wicked MUST be revealed"... Can't verify if this is true or not

edit on 16-9-2011 by CosmicWaterGate because: FAT FINGER thing

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Whether you believe in gravity or not, when you jump from a building you will fall down. That is a truth that is completely independent from any belief. To me these kind of articles aren't much more than a semantic game. Take a word such as truth and twist its definition a bit. Similarly you can write articles how time does not exist, reality does not exists etc. Words are just labels we give to things we observe or experience. They don't have deeper meanings, unless we make them up.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by -PLB-

There are always certain laws (like gravity) or limitations that we're bound to. Maybe from a spiritual aspect, when we (or God, or our Higher Selves, etc) created the world we had certain rules to follow, much like a game of monopoly or chess. Maybe we just know things from the collective unconsciousness or that after years and years of evolving our brains finally wired themselves to be born with the necessary skills and instincts for survival.
edit on 16-9-2011 by OhNoItsCritical because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
So, What this article is saying is no one is right and no one is wrong. It says that your thoughts and beliefs create your reality. It also says to open your mind to the possibilities of different ideas. It gives the idea that there is no answer and thus the search is in vain without the common Truths found in all beliefs. For example, the teachings of Love are even found in Satanism.

I see the Law of Attraction is referenced as an example, actually a couple of times, but in actuality the entire article is nothing but a description of it. The article attempts to group religion(beliefs) and wisdom(understandings) together which in my mind is like putting apples and oranges together and saying they are the same. They can be put together to a point as they are both fruit, but that is as far as it goes. On a basic level what it describes is true but not Truth.

As I see it, a "Truth" is an Understanding that has always been, is, and always will be. Not to be confused with "truth" which is something that is true until shown to be false. In the search for Truth, as the article states, one must have an open mind to new Understandings, which is True, but at the same time it says it really doesn't matter as you will never find that which is True which is false. I think, Truth can be found when one lets go of beliefs and seeks that which is True without looking to ANY outside influence as the answers can be found within.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
believe shouldnt be confused with religion. You can believe in anything;
being the best writer which everyone reads from; knowing the truth; being responsible for other; rightiousness; money; etc.etc.
Original interpretation of Religions, what is limiting your believes according to article, is actually the guidelines to achieve ones believe via a balanced and a good way, without the negative consequences of guideless achievement.
One who believes in money, will get it, question is how? by working hard and doing your best without negative influence to the earth or other people or by dealing drugs or other illegal things.
One who believes in people reading his work (writings), can write correct things or untruthfull things to attract readers.
One who believes in responsibility, will get the means to help others, but who will help him (balance).
You get the general idea.

So, summarized, i agree of the potential of believing, but this could go either way. very bad or very good.
Thus Religion: to achieve believe in balanced and good way.
It doesnt actually matter which religion, i think.
Torah, where followers believed an animal was god.
Bible which was rewrited.
After these two best practices, the Koran: Which is actually very clear and contains explenations of processess, science recently finds out. Where also the rule was to memorize the writings. But at this moment also different interpretations are available for, some of them very wrong.
Humans are not perfect. Dont blame religion for what humans, who misunderstand religion, do.

Best,

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agarta
So, What this article is saying is no one is right and no one is wrong. It says that your thoughts and beliefs create your reality. It also says to open your mind to the possibilities of different ideas. It gives the idea that there is no answer and thus the search is in vain without the common Truths found in all beliefs. For example, the teachings of Love are even found in Satanism.

I see the Law of Attraction is referenced as an example, actually a couple of times, but in actuality the entire article is nothing but a description of it. The article attempts to group religion(beliefs) and wisdom(understandings) together which in my mind is like putting apples and oranges together and saying they are the same. They can be put together to a point as they are both fruit, but that is as far as it goes. On a basic level what it describes is true but not Truth.

As I see it, a "Truth" is an Understanding that has always been, is, and always will be. Not to be confused with "truth" which is something that is true until shown to be false. In the search for Truth, as the article states, one must have an open mind to new Understandings, which is True, but at the same time it says it really doesn't matter as you will never find that which is True which is false. I think, Truth can be found when one lets go of beliefs and seeks that which is True without looking to ANY outside influence as the answers can be found within.

That's true.. I like your description of the "Truth". But really, does ANY human know the Truth? Is it even possible to know the Truth? Either way I think that you have to believe in yourself completely, and just because you believe doesn't necessarily make it True.

Will or does anybody know the Truth?

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
OH no, here we go, more masonic/occultist dribble. They spin this crap in order to commit any crime and call themself innocent.

Lets test it out:

-2+2=4
-nope my perceptions and reality tell me its 5, now did it work?
-1+1+1+1=.....4, still equals 4?, hang on, why didnt that work?

you mean if you kill someone, you can't just tell yourself that your not a murderer and it will be so?

Seriously this is absolute diatribe at its worst, who buys this crap? You can't just make up truth people.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Haxsaw

www.youtube.com...

How's that for truth? They can tell colors apart that we can't, and we have colors that don't even exist to them. Is their reality the same as our reality?

The fact is, what is true to them is not true to us. We can argue with them as much as we want, but they're right and we're right.

Can anybody disprove his/her theory? It makes total sense to me. Everybody experiences their life differently.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Beliefs do influence your reality because it makes it your own closed off, separate, disconnected from reality, so really you are living in a head. Your reality is not the real reality. The real reality or truth is happening in the present moment only. Humans have beliefs, stories, ideas, judgments, fears, desires all going on in the head and body and are having their personal reality. This is separation, no one sees your world and you can't see anyone else's, this causes conflict, loneliness, fear and confusion.
When this personal reality is seen for what it is, an illusion, a waste of energy, the person (persona) dissolves and all that is left is the truth.
There is a real reality. It is that, that is the truth.
It is what is happening, presently.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

I can accept that in a sense, but the question I present to you is what is reality? Quantum Physics states that reality is altered and influenced by our thoughts and viewing, wouldn't that mean that every person is constantly shifting and shaping reality based on what they want, their thoughts, and observations of "reality"? I'm by no means a Quantum Physics expert, but from my very basic understanding of it, that's how it works, right?

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
In specific regards to the source material:

I believe that some bits of wisdom have been misapplied, misunderstood and confused throughout the article. It seems to try to circle around a few conceptual road signs and write a travel guide without every experiencing the actual destination - and then draws conclusions, which are as a direct result scrambled, at best.

Concluding that Truth cannot be known is completely flawed. On a number of levels. To make that conclusion, you have to either mistake Universal Truth as strictly a human-based left-brained understanding - or you have to deny our own connection to it. This seems to do both. But either one is for me an indication that the author’s interpretation of the material does not flow from awareness.

reply to post by OhNoItsCritical

Flag for the thread idea. I believe that in diligently seeking the answers we find them - almost always in bits and pieces. One of the pieces of wisdom that has served me well on my journey is to take what resonates with you, and leave the rest behind with gratitude. You may run across a discarded piece again later down the path. If it re-enters your awareness, it may be offering you the chance to add to your awareness at that juncture. It may be an opportunity to discard it again. Either is a valuable opportunity.

edit on 9/16/2011 by Open2Truth because: clarity malfunction

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Open2Truth

What do you believe is the Truth and how did/are you find/finding it? I feel that this article resonates with me a lot, but maybe because I'm stuck looking in the same places as the author?

I very much resonaty with the fact that we all experience what we believe. If you could elaborate and maybe express your opinion on the Truth I'd be interested in hearing.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by OhNoItsCritical

Originally posted by Agarta

That's true.. I like your description of the "Truth". But really, does ANY human know the Truth? Is it even possible to know the Truth? Either way I think that you have to believe in yourself completely, and just because you believe doesn't necessarily make it True.

Will or does anybody know the Truth?

I believe( there is that word again) that we(Humans) can and do. From my searching and understandings I see things that fit the criteria as I have explained them. We have no proof that life has not existed forever or not but I see life as a truth(but that is up in the air). If life is a truth then consciousness is a truth. Energy is a truth. Love is a truth but you are right in that it does not necessarily make it so. Through my meditations and going within I have connected with the Akashic records(as they are called) which is the summation of knowledge of the whole consciousness. I see this as true as I get information that later is proven true. thus the Akashic records itself is truth. There are stories of people who have ascended or have turned to light and disappeared and returned with "Higher learning lessons" Is this provable I don't think so but that does not show either way if it is truth or not. Does that mean it is Not? No but in the same token it does not show that it is. Does that mean Truth does not exist? No it simply shows a possibility. As long as the possibility is there, one can not say it does not exist. Does that make sense?
edit on 16-9-2011 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

How did you get to gain the knowledge that you've gained? I read so much, and I know that we should look within for knowledge and truth, but.. what exactly does that mean - to look within? To Meditate? To read things and pick what you believe the most? What if what you believe is just.. well, subjective - such as many have assumed the author was wrong? He/she certainly believes (at least at this point in time) that they are correct in knowing the truth, but if you would try telling them they would ignore it because they believe that it's true.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

reply to post by Agarta

How did you get to gain the knowledge that you've gained? I read so much, and I know that we should look within for knowledge and truth, but.. what exactly does that mean - to look within? To Meditate? To read things and pick what you believe the most? What if what you believe is just.. well, subjective - such as many have assumed the author was wrong? He/she certainly believes (at least at this point in time) that they are correct in knowing the truth, but if you would try telling them they would ignore it because they believe that it's true.

Yes through meditation. Certain techniques I have learned to enter the "Silence" within. This is the release of all thought from the logical mind enabling one to receive. These images and thoughts could come from your mind yes, but when information comes that you did not know and you later find that is is correct it shows it came from somewhere other than your mind. You could learn the techniques and do it yourself but it boils down to belief again as to whether or not you think the info is correct and true.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

reply to post by Haxsaw

www.youtube.com...

How's that for truth? They can tell colors apart that we can't, and we have colors that don't even exist to them. Is their reality the same as our reality?

The fact is, what is true to them is not true to us. We can argue with them as much as we want, but they're right and we're right.

Can anybody disprove his/her theory? It makes total sense to me. Everybody experiences their life differently.

...that's not a valid example.
Colour perception is relative... but the TRUTH is that colour is a perception of reflected light.
That doesn't really prove your point.

The fact is, there will always be points in which observed phenomena are relative... but that doesn't mean that truth is also relative. For example, to say "that banana is yellow" isn't 'true'. To say that "that banana reflects the particular spectrum of light that holds this particular value (whatever that value might be), would be truthful. The difference? One is a relative observation, the other is a measurable truth.

To use the already offered example... you might believe that if you jump off a biulding you'll float. Going by the logic of some around here, you might even say "that's okay, that's your truth". But if you do jump off that building, you're not only wrong, you're dead, and your belief, however tightly held, shows you to be a fool. You've flown in the face of objective, observable phenomena and instead deluded yourself into believing that you, and your opinions and thoughts, are god. That you are somehow greater than gravity, as if it should obey you.

That's the difference between truth and observation.
Observation can be manipulated, distorted. Truth can't.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
This is the second thread I read today dealing with the truth; the temptation it's too big to let it pass.

So here is my take on the truth.

There are two kinds of 'truth' : the absolute truth, and the relative truth.
The absolute truth must be the same all the time, everywhere and in every condition, self evident, constant and unchangeable.

The relative truth on the other side is depending on different conditions, therefore changeable and impermanent. Let's take for example some hard truths explained here:

Gravity. It's a relative truth; it's dependable on conditions (cosmic bodies); when the creating cause disappears, the gravity disappears too. It's changing ( proportional with the distance from the cosmic body that creates it or it's mass) and even non-existent when there is nothing to create it. So it's true, there IS gravity, but not as an absolute truth, the same for everything, everywhere.
The same with mathematics. It's very true, 2+2=4 always. Yet, this is valid only as long as there is a brain developed enough to understand that. For a dog or a monkey this 2+2=4 has no meaning at all; it doesn't exist as a truth.
Colors. It's very simple; they exist only as there is light to create them, an eye to see them and a brain to translate what is seen.

And in top of all that, there is always the question "if a tree fell in the forest, and there was no one to see it or to hear it, did it really happened?"
I mean, the truth, the reality depends on the observer; does something exists if there is no observer to be conscious of it?
Does something really exists outside of our ability to acknowledge it?

Therefore, the only absolute truth I am aware of is the consciousness, the observer. Always the same, always there, unchangeable even if its objects of perceptions are changing. All those virtual realities and relative truths exist as long as they are observed by someone (quantum theories?)
But that is stepping into spirituality, so maybe we leave aside for now. What I wanted to point out with it is that the absolute truth can only be experienced directly; not learned, heard of, thought of or imagined. It must be experienced directly by the observer, otherwise is conditioned and relative.

There might be other absolute truths out there, but my brain is very tired now, and don't want to fry it out.

Religion.... :bnghd: oh God, sorry to say it but it's not even a relative truth. It's only a way to conceptualize what we don't understand and cannot directly experience or acknowledge; borrowed ideas that we hold as guiding lines for our life.

So, whatever we think is truth for us, we must always differentiate between relative truth, and absolute truth. Sometimes your truth is not my truth, and that's o.k. Other times is only wise to to synchronize our truths by the benefits they bring to us.
But I would never, ever hold my truth as an absolute truth, and be ready to kill for it.
Because all the above is my relative truth, of course.

Does this make sense for anyone?

Edit: I think another absolute truth is space. The space is the same always and everywhere, inside of an atom as outside of atmosphere; is not changing; there is no place where space does not exists. Nothing can exists without space, but the space can exists without anything else. Space can contain things, but in itself it doesn't depends on something and cannot be limited by anything.
edit on 16-9-2011 by WhiteHat because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by OhNoItsCritical

'
Isn't it just another belief that there is no truth or we can't know it? To say "there is no truth" is to imply that that statement is true.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join