It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planet Found Orbiting Two suns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Planet Found Orbiting Two sons

www.bbc.co.uk

A planet orbiting two suns - the first confirmed alien world of its kind - has been found by Nasa's Kepler telescope, the US space agency announced.

It may resemble the planet Tatooine from the film Star Wars, but scientists say Luke Skywalker, or anyone at all, is unlikely to be living there.

Named Kepler-16b, it is thought to be an uninhabitable cold gas giant, like Saturn.

The newly detected body lies some 200 light years from Earth.

Though there have been hints in the past that planets circling double stars might exist - "circumbinary planets", as they are known - scientists
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 16-9-2011 by amatrine because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I found this rather interesting. Sorry if it has already been posted, I could could not find it. I wonder what technology we have now,
as far as seeing into space, and how far it has advanced, in what new discoveries we will see.

This was found with the Keplar Telescope. I don't have much more to comment, just though I would share the beauty.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I thought you were going to say we have a planet orbiting us, if you did. I'd just go get fat, be happy and die.
I don't know where I'm going with this, it's been a rough ride here though

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
This isn't the thread you are looking for..
*waves hand*

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by amatrine

Leave it to space to form a frozen gas giant right between 2 suns...Quick side note isn't that kind of how the movie pitch black looked, a saturn around 2 suns?

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by agentofchaos

Hmm, I have not seen that one. Will have to look at netflix and see if they have it.

I wonder how far it is between the two stars. It did not mention it in the article. Will have to dig to see if I can find more info.

edit on 16-9-2011 by amatrine because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Randomness of the universe

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I love that show red dwarf. Even have the song as my ringtone,lol

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
...the Falcon found at the bottom of our ocean...

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

I wonder how they can confirm something 200 light years away, but cannot be sure whether there is or is not a second sun or large planet or anything at the very edge of our own solar system?
I'm not talking about nibiru but this tyche or any other bodies supposedly there? Just seems odd to me.
edit on 16-9-2011 by facchino because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by amatrine
I love that show red dwarf. Even have the song as my ringtone,lol

Great show

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Ummm no we are a planet so no planets are orbiting us LOL. Also we know what is in our solar system as far as planets go-this article is regarding something 200 light years away,

Originally posted by Heartisblack
I thought you were going to say we have a planet orbiting us, if you did. I'd just go get fat, be happy and die.
I don't know where I'm going with this, it's been a rough ride here though

new topics

top topics

join