It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amish men jailed over orange safety triangles

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

THESE are the mugshots of eight men jailed because they did not attach orange safety triangles to their horse-drawn buggies. The men were all members of a traditional Amish group, the Old Order of Swartzentruber – known for simple living, plain dress and reluctance to adopt modern conveniences. They were locked up after refusing to pay fines issued to them on the grounds that they failed to adhere to a state law which requires orange triangles on all slow-moving vehicles. The men said that the bright reflector violated their religion which restricts wearing flamboyant colours and relying on man-made symbols for their safety

Linkage to story.

How odd.....

edit on 16/9/2011 by shauny because: (no reason given)

edit on 16/9/2011 by shauny because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by shauny

Lockem up and throw away the key!

Ha! Just joking. The man always trying to keep the Amish down.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I don't know about you...

But I feel much safer now.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by shauny
The men said that the bright reflector violated their religion which restricts wearing flamboyant colours and relying on man-made symbols for their safety

I'd say that if they want to use the public roadway, they should have to adhere to certain laws. And if they violate those laws, well, don't do the crime if you can't do the time.
We have plenty of Old Order Amish and Mennonites in our area. They use the triangles.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by shauny

Already posted, www.abovetopsecret.com...

But I do enjoy those pictures

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
If a driver was driving without lights and got a ticket, hed then be sent to jail if he refused to pay so why are these any different?

They were jailed because they didnt pay a fine, not because they didnt have a safety triangle.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer
If a driver was driving without lights and got a ticket, hed then be sent to jail if he refused to pay so why are these any different?

They were jailed because they didnt pay a fine, not because they didnt have a safety triangle.

Yeah... they look like troublemakers.

When Amish go bad.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

You guys should google Amish + car accidents

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

Yeah... they look like troublemakers.

When Amish go bad.

It looked like a paedo rogues gallery to me.

Would you leave your kids alone with any of them?

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills
reply to post by newcovenant

You guys should google Amish + car accidents

Yeah, how dare the Amish not bend over backwards to compensate for distracted, idiotic drivers barreling down dark and winding roads twice the speed limit and can't react to a giant lumbering wagon pulled by eight foot tall horses.

What the Amish should do is take control of the roads in the entirely Amish counties and prohibit the reckless, self-righteous and force-of-law violence addicted "English" from traveling on them.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Riiiiggghhht. So every driver is an idiot and the Amish are innocent victims? Enjoy you la la world.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

The Amish are pretty limited in their ability to follow too close, travel above set speed limits, slam on brakes, swerve across lanes, dial cell phones, drop CD's, put on makeup or text while driving.

You set a horse pulled wagon at 15MPH and there is very little that wagon can do to cause an accident. However, the mere existence of that wagon is able to be the scapegoat for innumerable accidents.

Same with cyclists, joggers, walkers, handi-scooters and segweys. The scourge of the idiot driver.

You want to "google" accidents to illustrate frequency as justification for force-of-law simply look for motor vehicle accidents sans buggy.
edit on 16-9-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
If one of them was to be called "Grumpy"........which one do you think it would be?

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I'd really like to throw in a different perspective here, as I think the thread is great but I have to disagree with several of the posts here. If some Amish don't want to be safe, they deserve their mug shots and a little reminder that when on Outsider roads, they are under Outsider laws.

Specifically, I'd like everyone to imagine what it must feel like to have a semi-truck pass within no more than 12-24 INCHES of you and your horse running at 55-60mph. I've been in the situation of driving the truck more than once and if it didn't give them a heart attack, it nearly did me. Was I reckless? I wouldn't think so. My truck was within speed limits in good conditions.

It's simply a matter of realizing that outside populated areas it's *DARK* at night and Amish LOVE black. Their buggys are black, the cover is black, their clothes are black. Heck, everything about them in transit is black. At night, they are literally a hole in the darkness until an unsuspecting driver like me catches sight of them....at a mere couple hundred feet or less. Too late to even move left and give them the room they deserve, if they'd been visible.

I'm all for the Amish having their world, their way and enjoying their approach to life. I respect the heck out of them and I'm no stranger living in Southern Missouri. However, when on the public highways..visibility isn't just a good idea, it's the LAW for a very good reason IMHO.
edit on 16-9-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I'm in exactly that situation at least once a week when cycling.

Where you being reckless? ABSOLUTELY!

A foot or two is not enough room. If that is all the room you have to give DO NOT PASS!

Four to six feet of room is standard human courtesy and is law in many states.

And yes, it does cause the heart to skip a few beats and the weightless vacuum that comes from the ripping wake of your semi doesnt help matters much either.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Theres very little they can do to cause an accident? How about travelling in a dark vehicle with no lights in the dark?

Anyone whos driven knows what its like with cyclists with no lights, this would be even worse as they dont even have reflectors so youd only see them when its to late to stop an accident.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Flyer

Thats needlessly offensive even if you are joking.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Flyer

So slow the hell down.

Any responsible driver should be scanning the edges not just for dark walkers but deer, moose, dark cyclists, pulled over cars, etc... It's not like entering Amish country is some great surprise. Even if you're generally careless you can at least try to pay attention when in a known "buggy zone."

Slow down, scan ahead, give room by default unless oncoming headlights indicate driving tighter to the shoulder.

I'm getting a nice picture of ATS drivers here. Just pick a direction and accelerate blindly. No wonder so many of my neon-clad shoulder hugging brothers are plowed over every month in broad daylight.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Coming from Ohio and Amish country, I remember as a young kid in the 60's coming upon their buggies on the old 2 lane back roads of Ohio and Indiana.

And because their buggies are completely Black, like stealth aircraft, you really couldn't see the tiny little 2" reflector affixed to the back until you were practically right behind them.

Factor in the rolling hills and/or inclement/foggy weather into the equation and the tiny reflectors they used were pretty much entirely useless.

There were quite a few deadly accidents back in the day as a result.

As much as I hate more govt. intervention in our lives, in this case I am sad to say it really is for their own safety, as well as their family's.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I'm in exactly that situation at least once a week when cycling.

Where you being reckless? ABSOLUTELY!

A foot or two is not enough room. If that is all the room you have to give DO NOT PASS!

Four to six feet of room is standard human courtesy and is law in many states.

And yes, it does cause the heart to skip a few beats and the weightless vacuum that comes from the ripping wake of your semi doesnt help matters much either.

When you can come up with where exactly an 18 wheel truck is supposed to be on a two lane U.S. or State Highway without plowing into oncoming traffic, be sure to let the trucking community know. Most of the roads in this country off an Interstate Highway just don't lend themselves to much room where trucks are involved. Cloaking a buggy in total black at night doesn't help.

Now, if you read what I posted, I'd described a situation I ran into a few times, at night, outside city or street lighted areas so many people assume just exist everywhere. Without those triangles or lights (Which the Amish adamantly refuse..fine..so triangles it is
) "not passing" isn't a choice. At around the speed limit, with a couple hundred foot lead time, the truck is next to them about the time your foot would have begun touching the brake pedal. Lack of visibility removes ANY options for a safe pass or giving distance.

If triangles are on the back, a couple hundred feet extends to several hundred yards in the same dark conditions and of course, slowing is not only possible there but legally required if a safe pass isn't possible right away. The different from feet to yards is how many Amish Buggys are hit and totally destroyed with the poor people IN it every year.

Some plastic to avoid all that isn't too much to ask....and no trucker WANTS to do what I described. Not if they're sane. There just isn't a choice by the decisions the Amish sometimes make themselves.

<<   2 >>

join