It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Motive Unclear In Attack By Group Of Teens On 16th Street Mall

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Motive Unclear In Attack By Group Of Teens On 16th Street Mall

denver.cbslocal.com

Police are asking for the public’s help tracking down a large group of violent teenagers.

They say 10 to 15 young people — described as black or Hispanic and both male and female — attacked four white men on the 16th Street Mall at about 10:45 p.m. on Sunday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
When I see an article like this, I have to wonder if it would have been written differently if the attackers were white.

Would there be a large public outcry about a racist gang of whites beating on minorities, then Rev Sharpton shows up, has a march and demands justice? Or, would there just be a news story and then little or no follow-up?

This is a single instance but a series of events that were much the same occurred in Denver a couple years back.

In 2009 a similar series of attacks took place near downtown, on the 16th Street Mall and in surrounding areas. The victims were usually white or Hispanic and the suspects were black.

I don't recall any prominent white leaders jumping in the spotlight to condemn the attackers and offering help to the victims. Would it have seemed odd to you to see that happen?

I'm sure examples can be found, but it would probably not end well if a group of whites were to band together to protest a series of race related attacks. I would think they would be labeled as racists, klansmen or some such title.

If similar events kept occurring, what would you think if you saw a news story about a large group of whites marching on a downtown area denouncing race related attacks?

denver.cbslocal.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Prepare for the race card to be tossed in your lap OP. I do see what you are saying and the sad truth of it is this story would most likely have been written differently had the attackers been white and the people who got beat were any other color than white.

For a time where racism is supposed to be a thing of the past, I see it coming most every day from the same people who cry racism is holding them down...

We need to realize that all of our blood is red.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
This problem is a lot bigger than people realize. Why isn't the media telling the whole story? They are often called flash mobs by the MSM but their original name was flash robs. The first noted flash mob violence was at the Iowa state fair in 2010 (www.associatedcontent.com...). Wisconsin had a bad flash mob attack at their state fair this year. (www.npr.org...). There have been over 100 of these violent occurrences across the nation, it is a big problem! ...look it up. Go to the site www.violentflashmobs.com... to see a big list that someone compiled, complete with news links.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by DelMar

Are our memories really that short?

You don't recall any the era of slavery, or the era leading up to the civil rights movement? KKK and roving gangs of whites stringing up black folks? Lynch mobs?

I'm not typically one to condemn racism, but it seems really naive to say that the roles have never been reversed. There was an extended time period when gangs of whites rained terror on anyone for being black. Hell when I was a kid, not that long ago, a black man was arrested in my little hometown, just for being outside after dark. There was a fair in town, but apparently it was only for white folks.

I get your point, and it would be political suicide for a white leader to step up and condemn these modern "flash mobs" as acts of reverse racism, so you have a decent point, but lets not forget that this is just another leg of a cyclical human experience. Lets not pretend we don't ever remember a different time.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by DelMar

flash mob..also known as
police

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by DelMar

You don't recall any the era of slavery, or the era leading up to the civil rights movement? KKK and roving gangs of whites stringing up black folks? Lynch mobs?

I'm not typically one to condemn racism, but it seems really naive to say that the roles have never been reversed. There was an extended time period when gangs of whites rained terror on anyone for being black. Hell when I was a kid, not that long ago, a black man was arrested in my little hometown, just for being outside after dark. There was a fair in town, but apparently it was only for white folks.

I get your point, and it would be political suicide for a white leader to step up and condemn these modern "flash mobs" as acts of reverse racism, so you have a decent point, but lets not forget that this is just another leg of a cyclical human experience. Lets not pretend we don't ever remember a different time.

Of course I know of our history of the brutal treatment of minorities, but that has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

You pointed out exactly what I'm wanting to address. Why would it be "political suicide" for a white leader to condemn racist attacks?

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
A little FYI for everyone here.

Anyone ever submit or file a police report?

This is how they described people, White, Black, Hispanic, Caucasian, Asian when looking for assailants they need an accurate description, so I would take it up with police MO, before screaming the race card.

edit on 16-9-2011 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

reply to post by DelMar

I dont get how you can be so young yet remember the era of slavery so well.?

racism has been around and will always be around its just another name for hate. but unfortunately because our american society seems to feel the descendants of slavery are owed special treatment these minorities have grown to use this race card as an excuse call it reverse racism if you like but bottom line this is a GANG I dont give a damn if they are white black Mexican or Chinese they are breaking the law and pretty much getting away with it...

my prediction this will get much much worse as the poor communities just keep getting more in debt and sunk more into the slave system. things will start to get much much worse.

as victim of racism from minorities myself I have fought this problem my whole life living in LA and it has only gotten worse and spread to most other big cities in america.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by DerbyCityLights
Prepare for the race card to be tossed in your lap OP. I do see what you are saying and the sad truth of it is this story would most likely have been written differently had the attackers been white and the people who got beat were any other color than white.

For a time where racism is supposed to be a thing of the past, I see it coming most every day from the same people who cry racism is holding them down...

We need to realize that all of our blood is red.

That's fine, I was anticipating some insinuating that I'm being racist. If that's the best someone has, that says plenty. We should be able to address any race related issues without the political correctness goggles on.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
The media, and the rumor mill, and the supposed "leaders" on both sides are the problem. When it was whites harassing blacks, it was a few people riling up the masses. When it is blacks attacking whites, it is a few people riling up the masses.

The whole "racist" situation is ridiculous, and almost non-existent on a personal level. It only becomes an issue when the press and the so-called leaders get involved.

You can take someone that thinks they are racist, and immerse them in a counter-culture, and they will connect with certain "individuals" and they will hate certain other individuals. Race will not be a factor. Race is an illusion, that is perpetrated on the masses.

Now, "culture" is a real issue. And it seems odd to me that we learn to hate the bad parts of one another's culture, and emulate the good parts of one another's culture, and all the while we are still subjected to cries of "racism." That is a very odd thing to me, and I don't have an answer. There are some things I absolutely HATE about the black culture, but there are also some things I HATE about the white culture. There are some things I LOVE about the black culture, and there are some things I LOVE about the white culture.

Often times the "racist" views that people have, are the stereotypes attached to the worst examples of that culture.

Maybe we have a semantics problem, but I still think we have a leadership problem at the core of all these issues.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I'll guarantee you that the kids doing the flash mobs don't remember a time when it was groups of roving whites terrorizing random blacks, they aren't old enough to remember the 60's or earlier.
Hell, they don't even remember a time before there was Nintendo.
Yet their attitudes and actions are being quietly approved and inculcated by PC revisionist historians that still cry about the "inherent racism" in the system that is supposedly holding them back.
Sorry, but you can't blame the drug, alcohol and violence problems of one group on another group. It's a sad case of self-justification to excuse a perceived lack of social and economic advancement.
For the last 30 years everyone in this country has had more or less the same opportunities.
It could be argued that women and minorities have had even more opportunity through hiring and matriculation quotas and special grants.
While there is no way to measure it I would bet that there is a direct correlation between economic status and the number of hours of television watched. The more you watch the less likely you are to be successful.
edit on 16-9-2011 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Whoa nobody told you guys? It isn't blacks and hispanics we are supposed to hate anymore. Now it's Muslims and it isn't race it's religion. So do the good Christian thing and hate a Muslim.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Excellent post there. I know, no one liners, but had to commend you on that.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

That is where the hate of the cultural differences comes in to play.

I agree with you, the ghettos in the US have a self-perpetuating problem, and the problem is excused and exasperated by drawing racism from 150 years ago into the equation. The poverty, and lack of education, and lack of self-responsibility and illegitimate children, and reliance on government support is a major problem, but it is politically incorrect to point that out. Even the standardized testing has been called into question because it may not be fair from one culture to the other.

How can things like grammar and algebra and history and geography be dependent upon one's culture.

I agree with you in that regard, and I think we are saying similar things.

It isn't only black folks in the ghettos either. There are impoverished white areas, and there are poor education pockets of white people in some rural areas. The situation is rather dire, and as long as we allow the leadership to make political correctness a requirement, then we can never address the underlying problems.

That is exactly why I place the blame on leadership and media. Until they are willing to be honest, we cannot begin to fix the problems.

I think we should start with the Department of Education. Either do away with it, or establish some basic norms that every kid at each level must complete to advance, regardless of their personal situation.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Amen to that. Much of the blame lies with education which despite being public is far from evenly endowed with good teachers, facilities and curriculum.
The same thing applies to certain poor white areas too as you mention and I apologize if I came across as sounding racist in any way. We do have far more minorities now who are middle or upper class than at any time in history although the middle class across the board is shrinking from a stricken economy with few job opportunities and stagnant wages.
The alarming statistic is that more children in the US today live in poverty than any time in the last 80 years. We're heading in to a new depression that will further widen the gap between income classes.
Whatever opportunity that was there is quickly disappearing and at the current rate those PC liberals that bemoan the inequality in the system will in retrospect be proven correct.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

I apologize if I came across as sounding racist in any way.

It is impossible to honestly discuss the situation without sounding racist, because the honest truth is that each race does have endemic problems. Each race is situated in geographic proximity, and each race does embody certain cultural and stereotypical problems.

In our current climate, since I am white, it is acceptable for me to point out the rural meth areas in Missouri and Kansas, and the poor education in Kentucky or Alabama, but it is unacceptable for me to point out any inner city problems. A black person can point out the crime and poverty and poor education in the inner cities, but they can't talk about Kansas or Kentucky without being called racist.

Political Correctness is the heart of this problem. If we can't be honest about the problems, we can't begin to discuss any solutions.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Political Correctness is the heart of this problem. If we can't be honest about the problems, we can't begin to discuss any solutions.

This is honestly what I believe is a huge contributing factor to the downfall of our nation. Not so much race related issues but political correctness. You are absolutely correct, not only can we not be honest and find solutions that work, but pc speech is also used against people to shut them up.

Political correctness is the only language that gets smaller over time.
edit on 9/17/2011 by DelMar because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/17/2011 by DelMar because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/17/2011 by DelMar because: having some major issues with this post format : )

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by DelMar

Stay out of the S-hole nieghbor hoods and dont buy anything from them is my advice.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Im suprised they werent beet by white people for spending money at such a bad nieghborhood. Noone wants to see those places do good.

top topics

join