It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan floods.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Floods of a biblical scale are now inundating large areas of pakistan. This is the second year in a row that the monsoon rains have caused chaos in the region. The Pakistani government and the United Nations has yet to coordinate government aid and charities' responses, and the scale of the disaster seems like it is being ignored by the msm.

An estimated 300 people have died in three months of torrential monsoon rains which have destroyed 400,000 homes, breached sewerage and freshwater canals and left two million people suffering from malaria, hepatitis and other sanitation-related diseases. Three-quarters of a million people are living in temporary shelters and seven thousand people have been bitten by snakes in the water. More than 21 million people fled their homes in the 2010 floods which left one fifth of Pakistan under water and killed an estimated 1000 people. According to aid agencies the impact of this year's flood is worse than last year because many of the victims have been forced abandon their homes for the second consecutive year, but a slow international relief effort is threatening to compound the suffering.

The UN seem to be out of their depth in responding to these types of mega disasters, all the huge amounts of aid and food that is put into their care every year is mostly sitting in wharehouses untouched because of bureaucracy and ineptitude. Source:www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Great job OP! Thanks for bringing this to our attention. S&F!
Hope the people are hanging in there, and pray things will get better soon enough. Last year's floods were epic, and many people died. Guess the media won't bother reporting the news, because Pakistan is not a "developed" country... I wish the people there all the best.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Pakistan has my heartfelt sympathy, i am however very much against my home country the U.K sending any more aid money.

A solution need's to be found however ! But it need's to be one that does not involve a never ending cash cow.

Take care.

Regards
Lee

edit on 16-9-2011 by h3akalee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I did not even realize that Pakistan had flooded again, so thanks for this thread. How awful for people to lose their homes two years in a row.

This has been the most expensive year in history for disasters, and I wonder what happens when and if the insurance companies run out of money. I do not think they will be able to pay for all of the disasters that happened this year and last year, especially if the current trend continues. Interesting times.

Natural disasters Make 2011 Costliest Loss Year in History

Even though we're barely halfway in, 2011 has stolen the dubious distinction of being the most expensive year for natural disasters in recorded history. That's according to a statement released yesterday by German insurer/reinsurer Munich Re, which does this sort of grim tally regularly.

A Bunyanesque grab bag of catastrophes makes 2011 the "highest-ever loss year on record," with about $265 billion in economic damages by the end of June. That mountainous figure whups the $220 billion of the previous costliest year, 2005, which welcomed in the amazingly destructive Hurricane Katrina. It's also five times greater than the first-half-year average for the last 10 years

Natural Disasters Make 2011 Costliest Loss Year in History
edit on 16-9-2011 by PacificBlue because: sp

top topics

join