It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if Creationism and Evolution coexist?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
DISCLAIMER: This is not what I believe, I am an evolutionist and I am merely playing devils advocate.

WHAT IF 'God' did indeed create life on this planet, but not in the form that it exists today?
What if possibly 'God' created simplistic life forms and provided external stimuli to further the development of certain genetic strains?

Has anyone ever bothered to take this into consideration?

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Yes, Yes they have.

It has all the same problems or benefits, whichever way you believe, of creationism.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
i think its very primitive not to see them as two sides of the same coin.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Okandetre

Heh, I was reading through the two current threads trying to prove both evolution and creationism separately, had a drunken moment and decided to post what I posted.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
I just watched, "Did Darwinism Kill God" today and now there's a question pertaining to it

I really don't see why not. I myself believe there is a God. My God has nothing to do with the Christian, Judaic or Islamic God. Aside from that, evolution doesn't necessarily disprove God at all. In my honest opinion, I think that God created the very fabric of existence itself and left everything else up to its natural processes.

No Heaven, no Hell and no Purgatory.

We are composed of "star dust", so it only seems fit if we return to our consort star. This is only touching the surface on what the Ancient Egyptians believed. The Book of the Dead and Pyramid Texts are RARELY talked about which is sad! It's like a popularity contest with the Bible being that jock who attracts nearly everyone.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Looking at the broader picture using the term outside of the Christian context you would imagine that stories like about the Annunaki would show we are "created". thus you can call it creationism.

I'm very much open to the idea but not in any religious context. Knowing that the Bible is just a collection of these "old stories" says enough about anything coming from that bible... just theories based on old tales.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Well of course they do. I don't understand why people think evolution discredits God. It's all part of his design.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I would suggest to you the Ben Stein documentary Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed. It's free to watch on youtube www.youtube.com... (legally). Apparently its a big foepaw to even suggest that creationism is in anyway an acceptable theory in the scientific community. It's worth checking out.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
It would be like trying to mix water and stones.

They are two different things.
Creationism is the belief that the world was created like genesis says.
Evolutionism, if you like to call it that way, is a theory, a work in progress, subject to change.
It's a field of study gathering people of relevant knowledge/expertise using the scientific method.

As such, it does not rely on itself to exist, but can borrow works done in other fields, following the same scientific method (geology, chemistry...).

The Bible is not subject to change, it's interpretation is another issue.
Science changes all the time and is not affraid of admitting that stuff considered right today might be false tomorrow.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrysalis

Right, and I'm not saying that one could be applied to the other verbatim, but there could to be some kind of happy medium.
edit on 9/16/11 by TokiTheDestroyer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by damwel

And that is quite possibly the most intelligent thing that has ever been said on this site regarding religion.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I ran across this -- it explains how science and creation myths can and do coexist --- the sciencey part because it is real and the myth part to cover the holes left by stuff yet to be discovered. In any case Sagan's can turn a phrase.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 16-9-2011 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TokiTheDestroyer

You already got a happy medium, it's called the big bang. One of the most confusing theories made just so that religious crazies don't start burning books.

Both coexisted before, it was called the dark ages and religion was the law.
Where one went to war against the other and successfully managed to suppress it for loooong centuries.
edit on 16-9-2011 by Chrysalis because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
How about this:
Evolution is the means by which God creates. There are no inbetween fossils because God just takes a look and says "Well that ain't gonna work" and wham wipes em out and wham brings in the next model. I mean to say, how can you expect anyone or any 'God' to just imagine a creature, and its perfect right off the bat - ain't going to happen I reckon. So he/her/it had to improve each model until it was pretty close to what was wanted.
There ya go, evolution meets creationalism and both sides are happy - but then....

I'm also pretty keen on the idea that aliens did a little genetic engineering with their dna and some local bipods they found here. A little ape, a little alien and "We Are Borg".
Could be they realised they needed to get all those pesky dinosaurs and ginormous critters out of the way before introducing modern man so they arranged a bit of a hell storm with some handy meteors they came across.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Creationists claiming that God is responsible for Evolution is such a cop-out. Science with it's new discoveries and asking questions is continually pushing Religion back and back.

When science discovers new things about the world the religious just say "oh yes, god did that"...religion is having your cake and eating it too.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
The truth of the matter is that they very easily can coexist, but the fundamentalists seem to constantly have a bone to pick with it. I know many Christians who accept evolution as fact without questioning their faith in the least. If there indeed is an intelligent creator, wouldn't something like evolution strengthen your faith, rather than dispute it? I'd think it would make sense for a designer to set up a self replicating process, rather than do each detail individually. The whole evolution vs creationism thing is nothing more than a religious fundamentalist movement that has nothing to do with reality. The people who actually dispute evolution are a small minority of religious folk who cling to literal translations of a bunch of stories that are thousands of years old and unverified, rather than what is tangible and has been discovered through science.

It's like the same way folks dispute the big bang theory. But if an all powerful intelligent designer was going to create a universe, how do you think that process would go down? Big bang maybe? It's silly. I think people just need to focus more on what they have in common instead of the differences.

BTW I've never heard of somebody who considers evolution to be true call themselves an evolutionist. That's not even a real word, since evolution is a science not a belief system.

I would suggest to you the Ben Stein documentary Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed. It's free to watch on youtube www.youtube.com... (legally). Apparently its a big foepaw to even suggest that creationism is in anyway an acceptable theory in the scientific community. It's worth checking out.

That movie was terrible and very misleading. You can't teach intelligent design in a science class as its not science.

There are no inbetween fossils because God just takes a look and says "Well that ain't gonna work" and wham wipes em out and wham brings in the next model. I mean to say, how can you expect anyone or any 'God' to just imagine a creature, and its perfect right off the bat - ain't going to happen I reckon.

If only that were true, but there are tons of in between fossils and genetics also show the evolutionary changes. You'd have to think god experimented first hand on this planet for 3 billion+ years. But if he did that, how did he have time to set up all the other stars galaxies, and planets? Seems like a waste of time and effort when a smart guy would merely set the plan in motion and let it unravel by itself. Fun to speculate about, I admit.
edit on 6-10-2011 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by IEtherianSoul9

Perfect answer. I believe our God created us just as you said. I also believe we go through an evolution. Look how much we have advanced in the last one hundred years. I also fell we are on the verge of another consciousness upgrade. Creation and evolution go together perfectly.

The Celestine Prophecy is a book I recommend.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
One of the best evidences there is no God is the fact of evolution. Not only does evolution explain perfectly how life works without any need at all for a supreme being, but it also completely contradicts the explanations given by "God" in the Bible, the Koran, and every other book written by man claiming to be written by God.

And if God were the mastermind behind evolution He wouldn't have explained how life works incorrectly. And since the books God writes are the best evidence man has made to prove God's existence, God therefore can be determined not to exist anywhere but in the minds of men.

Science is indeed the right way to acquire knowledge, and science again and again proves God wrong. This does not bode well for man's invention.

I believe that eliminating God from our minds would only have a positive effect on our morality, because life would be seen as even more valuable (since we only have one), and our differences could be more easily solved on the bases of evidence instead of pretending we have knowledge of God's true intentions then fighting to the death for them (that's what a true belief in God's Will entails).

edit on 6-10-2011 by ac3r88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ac3r88
One of the best evidences there is no God is the fact of evolution. Not only does evolution explain perfectly how life works without any need at all for a supreme being, but it also completely contradicts the explanations given by "God" in the Bible, the Koran, and every other book written by man claiming to be written by God.

No it doesn't. Evolution explains how life on this planet could have transformed from simple, single celled organisms to the complex multicellular organisms we are today. It doesn't explain how the universe was created, and how the whole process started. If you believe in a supreme being/creator, why couldn't he/she have created the world in a way that it would continually improve itself?

Of course it contradicts those books, because they were all written so long ago, people still thought the world was flat and the sun revolved around the Earth. The point is that they're all stories written to deliver a message. Now if you decide to take these stories as historical and scientific facts, you're either insane or stupid.

This is not my opinion either, I'm just trying to explain that evolution has nothing to do with the existence or nonexistence of some kind of supreme being.

Religion/belief in god is based on faith in something that is not supported by evidence. Science/evolution is based on observations and supporting evidence. I think it's time people realize that this whole creationism/evolution argument is comparing apples and oranges...

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Why don't people ever search before starting new threads...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join