It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Jersey Taxpayers Are Billed $420K in "Jersey Shore" Production Costs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Here a situation that has residents in New Jersey pretty riled up: taxpayers in the Garden State will be footing $420,000 in production costs for the MTV show Jersey Shore. The New Jersey Economic Development Authority approved today a state film tax credit that had previously been suspended by Governor Chris Christie in 2010. Last year Christie cut the program in order to narrow in on the state’s budget deficit, but the NJ Economic Development Authority is now awarding credits to qualifying programs. As a result, taxpayers will cover the $420,000 in production costs from the MTV hit’s inaugural 2009 season.

So it's a state film tax credit. If I lived in NJ, I wouldn't be happy either. Simply put, the money, from taxpayers pockets, will be wasted. Even if it is $420K, it could be put to better use.

rt.com...

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I don't see it as a big deal. 420k to attract more tourists to the area and in turn make make a lot of money for the local mom and pops that are only open a few months a year seems like a bargain in this economy.

NJ has a TON of more important issues then a TV show getting a tax break. Let's not forget this show and it's image didn't appear from nowhere. This is a pretty accurate representation of seaside heights during the summer.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by drock905
I don't see it as a big deal. 420k to attract more tourists to the area and in turn make make a lot of money for the local mom and pops that are only open a few months a year seems like a bargain in this economy.

NJ has a TON of more important issues then a TV show getting a tax break. Let's not forget this show and it's image didn't appear from nowhere. This is a pretty accurate representation of seaside heights during the summer.

How does that joke of a show called jersey shore attract tourists? You think people will swarm to New Jersey to see a bunch of steroid using, spray tan wearing losers,such as the ones on that travesty of a show?

I wouldn't.

Id be protesting if I were a citizen of New Jersey.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Stereotyping.... oh my...

For starters...

I wear black 90% of the time...
I listen to and make Heavy Heavy Music
I have long hair...
I have tattoos...

Most people think I am a devil worshiper...

Not at all... I'm Christian...
I just don't "act" Christian

Second....

New Jersey is being portrayed as Idiotic Italian Americans
who are skanks and alcoholics who care more for how many they bang
than they do what day of the week it is...

If I were closed minded... I would think everyone from New Jersey is that way...
Luckily I am not... for one I been to New Jersey a time or two...

and...

Being from Kentucky... Every time they depict my home state or people from it...
Its always the Dumb Rednecks...

But we're NOT all like that...

They love to Stereotype...

People from New Jersey...

Contact your senators... contact your representatives...

Put a stop to this...

Once you are Stereotyped... it sticks with you...

Do you want your hard earned tax dollars going towards such filth and trash as
The TV Show Jersey Shore?

I watched this show once and I was so disgusted...

Why should the good people of New Jersey be portrayed this way?

Why should you front the bill so those douches can party?

Trust me, that show is a stain on the face of Humanity...

Sorry its filmed in New Jersey

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

I live there and yes it attracts tons of tourists while they are filming. You may think it portrays Jersey in a bad light but it is a fair representation of the type of people who go to the shore.

All these shows about NJ aren't really playing up stereotypes because they are millions of people in this state that act exactly like that.

There are very pretty parts of NJ but for the most part it's filled with very obnoxious, loud, ignorant, spray tanned, aggressive people acting like tough guys.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Having seen nothing but the previews of Jersey Shore, it's kept me from visiting.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I don't think you guys understand

sure this is only 420k, but what's next?

420k is just the start, if you think it ends here you are sadly mistaken

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
MTV should be paying the taxpayers that amount of money for having aired that sickening excuse for a show.

Cheers

new topics

top topics

join