It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vast Tracts of Queensland to be Written Off ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Today the “The Liberal National Party (LNP) has announced plans for an audit of Queensland pasture and mine buffering zones to identify places where more food could be produced.”

The First Source

Presumably this is in response to “Queensland farmers are angry the state opposition has failed to mention the protection of prime agricultural land in its latest position on coal seam gas (CSG) mining”

The Second Source

To say that today’s announcement is worrying would be a monumental understatement and in particular the justification for the announcement appears to be a scaremongering lie.

“LNP leader Campbell Newman says the state has a responsibility to feed the growing world population. By 2050, the world will need 70 per cent more food than is currently available.” From the first source.

70% more food than is currently available. This statement to me would indicate 70% more mouths to feed, so let’s look at the numbers.

Currently world population is sitting at a shade below 7 billion give or take a bit.

World Polulation (Lin-Log Scale)

A 70% increase is approximately 5 billion, taking the 2050 total to around 12 billion. Let’s take a look at that shall we.

Projected Increase

Projected Rate of Increase

Based on the absolute worst prediction by the UN we would be at approximately 10.5 billion which is only a 50% increase in population and is as I have stated the absolute worst case scenario. So using grossly inflated numbers of population increase we are to believe that Queensland is to bear the brunt and pressure of overinflated population growth.

Is it not likely that the policy of pushing into marginal areas where arable land is of lesser quality is in fact a policy to move farmers off their land to make way for the LNG industry. Is it the reality that large tracts of Queensland are ultimately going to be written off to the benefit of the LNG industry and ultimately to the loss of the people of Queensland. And does that then open an opportunity there for Monsanto (
) to develop crops capable of existing in post fracking gaseous conditions.

It sounds to me as though the fracking will continue unabated with no real regard for the future.

Cheers

P.S. Apologies for no pics, I cannot upload at the moment.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
CSG scares me. Arent' farming families getting sick from carcogens from that industry? Isn't the water being polluted? Isn't the Murray-Darling soon to suffer from this industry too? If any of those rumours are true, Australia won't have much of an agricultural industy left from much longer and we won't be able to feed our own population let alone anyone else.
link, link, link.
There is a petition against this fracking CSC if you want to GETUP in arms about it.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
WTF?
Who are these ghouls that aparently run everything in the worldfor their own benefit?
Doesnt goverment have obligation to all the people rather than the gas and oil lobbies?
The whole freaking world is a cesspool of the very rich stomping on the human rights of the very poor.
(and everybody in between)
Its long past time for us to stop these psychopathic leeches!
I swear its like we are all drugged!
Stuff like this should have the barricades going up in the capital, mobs roaming the streets looking for oil execs to hang......
If we want this world back, we are going to have to be prepared to take it back!

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Stirling, imo the problem got a LOT worse when the STUPID voting public in Qld put CN and his (imo) pathetic group in. Even while he was pushing his weight around in Brisbane I felt there was something "not right" about him, then down came the hammer when he was voted in in the Qld state election. What gets me i how stupid people could be in thinking he was going to do anything to help the average Joe up here in Qld. God help us if they are tupid enough to vote in the Libs in the Fed election. M rabbott (imo) has the welfare of big business far in front of that of the normal worker. Hell! he even said he would bring back the good ol howard days about a week ago and then out comes his former boss encouraging him to, in effect, re introduce work choices. Get ready guy for one HELL of a ride. He only knows how to be NEGATIVE and to scare monger! How pathetic!!!!!

new topics

top topics

join