It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tatooine like planet discovered orbiting 2 suns....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

"It's a real-life Tatooine. A spectacle made popular by the "Star Wars" saga — a planet with two suns — has now been confirmed in space for the first time, astronomers revealed.

Scientists using NASA's Kepler space telescope captured details of a giant planet in orbit around the pair of binary stars that make up the Kepler-16 system, which is about 200 light-years away."

If its possible out there why can't it be possible over here?

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I'll hold my excitement until they release a Millennium Falcon to travel to this Tatooine-like planet.

edit on 15-9-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I'll hold my excitement until the 5th thread gets made about this....just about there.

Edit: NM IT TURNS OUT THIS IS THE 5TH THREAD!!!!!

*EXCITEMENT*!!!

edit on 15-9-2011 by superman2012 because: excited.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Yeahh buddy, now let's find Coruscant and have the Jedi train us in their ways

S&F

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by KeepYourAnonymity
Yeahh buddy, now let's find Coruscant and have the Jedi train us in their ways

S&F

Find that planet quickly, you must.
edit on 15-9-2011 by greenCo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
you are all part of the rebel alliance or join the dark side of the force (I couldn't resist)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Hey - I haven't been on long enough to actually create a thread. But I live in Frederick, MD and I can see the moon shining bright in the sky. As of now 11:09PM Sept 15th - there's been a light in the sky under the moon some. Also very bright but clearly not the moon or any refracted light. I don't have a telescope, but an optical camera. So I zoomed in and it kind of looks either a super large star (but not emanating much light when zoomed in) or almost like a mini-moon (trying not to sound too stupid) or planet. If anyone lives in the area or has a clear view of the moon from this side of the time zone let me know what you see.

See this now: earthsky.org...

edit on 9/15/2011 by Vivec because: Jupiter lit me up

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
i find it funny that nasa has to use a star wars reference... why couldn't they just say they found a planet with two suns... did they think it would make it easier for people to swallow or something?

anyway...

EVERYTHING IS GOING ACCORDING TO PLAN...

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Youji69

EVERYTHING IS GOING ACCORDING TO PLAN...

Truly said. They always have and will be just spoon feeding the people what they want to hear. Not giving us the least bit of truth. But eventually they will have to state everything.. it cant all stay hidden forever.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Vivec

It's a star or a planet, skies pretty clear here and I can tell it's a really bright star or planet, it's been there all night so far (went outside 3 times)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by f3rm1N

It is a two stars with one planet wizzing around it. And no you cannot live there the planet is Gassy just like Jupiter.

A planet orbiting two suns - the first confirmed alien world of its kind - has been found by Nasa's Kepler telescope, the US space agency announced.

It may resemble the planet Tatooine from the film Star Wars, but scientists say Luke Skywalker, or anyone at all, is unlikely to be living there.

Named Kepler-16b, it is thought to be an uninhabitable cold gas giant, like Saturn.

BBC NEWS

Sadly the force might not be with us, on finding a planet with two suns to support life, my little Padawans.

edit on 16-9-2011 by AnonymousFem because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Youji69

Something, something DARK SIDE....something, something COMPLETE!

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
F' you Lucas and F' NASA.
Stick your #ty blu ray plug where the twin sun's don't shine!

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
I'll hold my excitement until they release a Millennium Falcon to travel to this Tatooine-like planet.

I don't think the Millenium Falcon ever went to Tatooine in SW.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by damwel

Originally posted by boncho

I don't think the Millenium Falcon ever went to Tatooine in SW.

edit on 16-9-2011 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
nice job by kepler team. keep up the good work

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Vivec

Yeah I'm currently staying in Frederick for a little, and I saw something strange too..... interesting.

I've also been hearing lots of air activity, whether military or whatever, lately.
Aren't we near Camp something or other?
ha
edit on 16-9-2011 by bojimbo because: adding

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Good for NASA.
Anything Star Wars related or referenced is GOLD.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vivec
Hey - I haven't been on long enough to actually create a thread. But I live in Frederick, MD and I can see the moon shining bright in the sky. As of now 11:09PM Sept 15th - there's been a light in the sky under the moon some. Also very bright but clearly not the moon or any refracted light. I don't have a telescope, but an optical camera. So I zoomed in and it kind of looks either a super large star (but not emanating much light when zoomed in) or almost like a mini-moon (trying not to sound too stupid) or planet. If anyone lives in the area or has a clear view of the moon from this side of the time zone let me know what you see.

The light you were seeing is Jupiter. It's bloody bright this time of year.
peace

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vivec

The light you were seeing is Jupiter. It's bloody bright this time of year.
peace

top topics

<<   2 >>

join