It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is winning the lottery, the worst thing that can happen to you?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
S + F.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by listerofsmeg

You live in Wales...There's not much to sue for, around those rural parts

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
thinking about it, I would probably get a ticket to one of those 10,000 a plate political dinners/shakedowns buy a big huge prada bag, some animal tranqs and a skunk. Im guessing when he wakes up he'll be pretty pissed and what better place than in the middle of some flowery speech about nothing.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
It would be the best thing that happen for my family. the worst thing for me world be I have a whole lot of family. If I had a million $$$ id have it spent in a week

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Romanian

Many people have totally regretted winning the lottery especially those who seemed to LOSE loved ones
on account of their being able to provide them with money..unfortunately some burn that money on drugs and that is what has happened in at least one case I heard tell of.
I say it depends and like gambling..you'd have to figure the odds..all things you could think of ..that YOU
will lose more than you gain if YOU win the lottery..say now if you were single and mature and just wanted
to travel and knew how to be quiet about what you had then yeah that might be okay...that is, the odds might
be in your favor.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Yes. There was something about rich men, camels, needle, and heaven.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
There are a few potential negatives to winning the lottery, but it is hardly the worst thing that can happen to you. If you are smart with money and not greedy it can really change your life for the better as well as the lives of loved ones and friends who are in need. It would be wise to keep the news of your win to as few people as possible - perhaps just your immediate family. The more people that know the more complicated and risky it becomes to hold on to your money and secure your financial security.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
The lottery is jinxed, yes. If you knew some occultism, you would know why. But, I can't tell you why because occultism means "hidden", and there is a reason for this.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by nidstav
The lottery is jinxed, yes. If you knew some occultism, you would know why. But, I can't tell you why because occultism means "hidden", and there is a reason for this.

This reply to me is pretty well right on the money. Nidstav aint telling why though.

I will say that he may mean that there is no such thing as a free lunch, and that everything we receive in life has to be paid for. One person's "win" may be the payback for an equivalent labour in an earlier time, even a previous life. Another's win may have to be paid back in the future, like a credit loan. I have often observed that even fame has its price and many famous people lose a loved one in tragic circumstances, after which they will say that they would pay anything to have that person restored to life.

If your win is the credit type of win then the best way to protect yourself from the hoodoo voodoo is to give most of it away to strangers, not family members. You just make a life of traveling incognito and meeting everyday folks and if you have developed compassion and empathy you arrange a helping hand in such a way that the recipient has no idea it was you who was responsible. This way you are paying something out to allow you to spend the interest on the principal.

That's a strategy old Murphy will find hard to deal out some torment with.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SmoKeyHaZe

wales is not all rural, i live in newport (worst city in wales, it really sucks)
but if i won the lottery i'd love to live in a more rural area. my main house would probably be near brecon( great place) sueing is mainly for greed not justice. damn deborah medan from dragons den sued on old couple because their hedge was slightly on her acres of land.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Romanian

these people would f***k up regardless of winning the lottery.

second

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
People are winning the lottery all the time. You only hear about the few stories where it ruins their lives. How many people have won and are doing well right now and are pretty freakin happy? Look at all the millionaires in the world today, how many let the money ruin their lives? Truth is, these people whose lives were ruined by the lottery were obviously not responsible enough with money to begin with.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by SmoKeyHaZe
reply to post by listerofsmeg

You live in Wales...There's not much to sue for, around those rural parts

Sheep....plenty of sheep!

No really winning the lottery is not even close to the worst thing that could happen to you.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by taccj9903
People are winning the lottery all the time. You only hear about the few stories where it ruins their lives. How many people have won and are doing well right now and are pretty freakin happy? Look at all the millionaires in the world today, how many let the money ruin their lives? Truth is, these people whose lives were ruined by the lottery were obviously not responsible enough with money to begin with.

Yea I hear you but responsiblity was never part of it.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I know personally a family that won the lottery...I married one of their sons.

My ex-father-in-law picked the six numbers that won Connecticut Lotto drawing, 24 years ago. Worth $1.2 million.

My ex in-laws raised 53 foster children over the years. They had 3 children naturally of their own. They adopted several of the children that were fostered to them. In the end they had 9 children total.

They put the money into expanding their home, to give the foster children more room, and so they could take in more if needed. The most they ever had at once were 15 in their home. They were the most loving, giving family I had ever met. They gave so much to the kids they had fostered over the years, even when they didn't have it - they gave it. They put in a built in gated swimming pool, that was enjoyed for many, many years by the children and adults as well.

After they won the lottery (which I thought they so deserved), a lot of the foster kids came back with their hands out...they could not say no to any of them...they helped who ever needed it. They took in those who needed a place to stay, food to eat., an ear to listen. They were the best people on earth.

After their last payment (they chose to take the winnings over 20 years), they had to sell their home, move, and basically had nothing to show for it. Not to mention my father-in-law never stopped working until he was able to retire with a pension.

They gave so much to others and never thought about themselves. They never complained when the money ran out and no one was around to help them out..they just sold the house and down sized to a smaller home. It didn't ruin their life. It enhanced those that they loved and cared about. Never expecting or wanting anything in return, only to help those who needed it.

If I could hit the lotto, I would want the same...to help those who need it, those I care and love, and live a comfortable life while enjoying the ride.

Just thought I would share.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by summer5

Not to say I wouldn't take 1.2 million but in reality it's not a lot, especially after they take the taxes out. I worked with a guy several years ago who won the Colorado state lottery, not sure how much, but I guess he spent it all and ended up having to go back to work.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
winning $25,000 would be the equivalent to a million dollars for me. I would be living the rich life.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
It can be the worst thing that happened to some people but definitely not all.
Like others have already said, it's what you DO with it.

I know how I would do with it and part would be buying a nice place with a huge vegetable garden and a good quality car for myself and my loved ones (so we can grow our own food), set up a bank account that only let's go of a certain amount of it every year and life of it.
The other part would go to research into better treatment of chronic pain. I've had chronic pain for over 8 years now and I know firsthand how it can ruin your life.
The only "benefit" I've had of it is knowing exactly who I can count on and only those go under the category of "loved ones". They would be the only ones whom I'd let it know too since I know that they wouldn't abuse our friendship/family bond.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Logarock
Sheep....plenty of sheep!

hey man thats racist. lol

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romanian
Apparently YES. I was quite familiar with some stories of people that managed to destroy their life after winning the lottery. So I decided to google it for myself:

www.cosmoloan.com...
www.cafeterra.info...

Could search for more, but the bottom line is: winning the lottery does not necessary make you rich . Most of the people not used to manage money would end up as poor in less than a decade. I am not so sure I want to win the lottery any-more haha..

It's the people who don't know how to handle money that have those issues.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join