It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Higher Netflix prices = 600,000 fewer U.S. customers, much harsher than Netflix Inc. anticipated.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

The customer backlash against the higher rates, kicking in this month, has been much harsher than Netflix Inc. anticipated. That prompted management to predict Thursday that the company --the largest U.S. video subscription service-- will end September with 600,000 fewer U.S. customers than it had in June.

and

Netflix suffered another setback earlier this month when Starz Entertainment ended talks to renew the licensing rights to a key part of Netflix's video library for streaming over the Internet. The fallout from that decision will hit in March when Netflix will no longer be able to stream the popular mix of recently released movies and TV shows that it got from Starz, raising the specter of another onslaught of customer defections.

Source:
finance.yahoo.com...

Rising price while in recession does not appear to help companies stay afloat. Customers are leaving due to price increase, while companies need to increase the prices in order to stay alive while having less customers.. are we heading into a dangerous loop?

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
this is a perfect example of how people are NOT powerless

this scum company raised prices on people and starz is gonna pull their content

when these mega companies and governments start losing not the minds of people, but also our money and support, they will get punished

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Well yeah! They more than doubled their prices. There streaming selection sucks too!

My rent goes up 8% every year. It's built into the lease and is mechanism that never accounted for this recession and we can't do anyhting about it, as tenets, because a big management co. manages the property and the money. They don't care, because they are not people.

But this is fantastic! What $8 a months times 600,000 people can do. YEAH!

I'n gonna go cancel my netflix now, and climb on board. I feel empowered by this post!

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Funny how that works, huh? I cancelled my DVD portion of my membership. I still have the streaming portion for now but if we don't utilize it much over the next couple months I'll be cancelling that as well.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I put my account on hold last month...power to the people.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
The only thing pulling me to Netflix is that the $8 a month outweighs the hassle and time wasted with torrenting and only ending up with garbage files - in early 2000's there was better quality than I find these days. And that also, I can stream to my tv easily through my Roku.

But then there is the fact that the video selection is pretty rubbish, though I usually stick to documentaries if I watch anything. I guess once I watch all of those that'll be the end of it, since there isn't much else that is worthy of paying for, then I'll just fall back to my even crappier list of Amazon Prime movies if I absolutely need to watch something.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
No Netflix in my country and torrenting sucks since I won't watch anything compressed. It has to be full mpeg quality and no one uploads that. Solution? Pirated DVDs!

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Turn the damn idiot box off altogether. Just think of what that one move could do; not just for your life, but to TPTB and the major corporations.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I gotta go with the popular opinion here - We dropped the DVD rentals since they raised the prices and stuck with just the streaming. However, their selection sucks and they removed the 'Genre' option. As a previous manager of Blockbuster, I think they just got comfortable when they saw BB going under and decided to relax or push their weight a little. Now their arrogance is getting the best of them. I wonder how Redbox is doing...

In all truth, you really don't need to pay for anything these days. You can watch full seasons online, movies, etc. Their are TONS of sites! Pretty soon Netflix and these PPV sites will be completely irrelevant. Good riddance!

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I also watch mainly documentaries , so no need to pirate any Hollywood movie!
Here is an online index with documentaries (my fav):
topdocumentaryfilms.com...

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Netflix is a scam. The first month you can get a movie in the mail the day after you order and send that movie in the next day and get another movie. After that month it takes a couple days to get your movie.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
Turn the damn idiot box off altogether. Just think of what that one move could do; not just for your life, but to TPTB and the major corporations.

I turned in my cable box and DVR about 2 months ago, cut my land line as well. Saving about $85 bucks a month, so I signed up for netflix, and after 30 day free trial, I got billed this week. I've already seen most of what they have, and am already bored with them. Hence, my ATS activity!

Funny tho, the cable/phone guys, COX, keep calling and offering me free HiDeff, free HBO, free phone, etc. 6 mo. offers. I keep telling them, its not about the money, its about addiction. The person on the other end of the phone gets it, but COX keeps calling me anyway.
edit on 15-9-2011 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
the whole streaming thing is crashing now on a heap of netflix dung

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Now if we could only get Americans to take this kind of action to a whole new level.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I read this yesterday and seeing this post thought it was fitting. I don't subscribe to anything other than Internet access, movies come from OTA TV, Hulu or Torrentz and I am quite proud to say that.

If you’re like many millions of other Netflix customers, you were probably pissed off when they jacked up their prices last month, effectively doubling the cost of some people’s subscriptions. And before that, you were probably annoyed when they started putting out their DVDs 28 days after they went on sale. And maybe you’re mad now that they’re losing their contract with Starz because they had an argument about money.

It’s almost like Netflix got tired of making money or something. Why do they keep doing all this stupid stuff? Well, simply put, it’s not really their fault. You see, film studios aren’t the biggest fans of things like Netflix, Redbox, or Hulu. You know, those things that allow you to pick and choose what you want to watch when you want to watch it for a reasonable, affordable price. The reason is that it eats into their sales of DVDs and pay-per-view rentals, for which they get a much higher cut of the profit. As DVD sales drop, movie studios panic.

So, instead of adapting their business model to a format that consumers obviously prefer, they’d rather try to turn back the clock and take away the distribution methods people love and enjoy. That means demanding more money from Netflix to lease their movies, ever-increasing delays between a DVD’s release and its availability out of Redbox machines, and putting Hulu, a service created by the content creators themselves, up on the auction block when it ended up being too successful. The Time Warner CEO has even taken to blasting Netflix in the press for the last year, describing them as a “fading star.” You’d fade, too, if someone wrapped their hands around your throat.

www.filmschoolrejects.com...

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
DGAF.

Their selection is crap, and until they make their software compatible with "alternative" operating systems, I'm not giving them a dime.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
It was one thing to raise it for bucks, but I was shocked at my bank statement this month that it increased another 10 bucks. I think that is a bit much. They bankrupted Hollywood and any other video, Blockbuster is all but gone from my area, then they raise the price. Pretty shady. And I am about to be 601,000

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by MJZoo
Funny how that works, huh? I cancelled my DVD portion of my membership. I still have the streaming portion for now but if we don't utilize it much over the next couple months I'll be cancelling that as well.

We canceled our streaming since it was always messed up anyway and lowered to 2 DVD out at a time cut our cost in half.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Romanian

I guess with post offices drying up it will be hard having a business that relies on fast mail too.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
uTorrent + ThePirateBay = Happiness

Bugger paying exorbitant rates for cable or streaming services. Until the media companies wake the hell up and realise they cannot force us to view programs on their terms anymore then they will continue to lose more and more money. It's like they are signing their own death warrants really.

top topics

join