It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Praying in Paris streets outlawed

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I haven't read all the posts, but it's clear some people in this thread can't seem to distinguish between praying in the streets and praying in PUBLIC. You can still pray in public in France. They were having a problem with Muslims blocking the streets because there wasn't enough room in the mosque. Then, because the street was blocked, people had to take detours and it snarled traffic for many blocks surrounding the area.

I understand both sides, but I think the French were correct to pass this law. If it happened in an American city, we would probably do the exact same thing. Nobody has the right to make life exasperating for other people in order to practice their religion. The only difference here is that it would probably be a local law, not a national one.

I also believe the SCOTUS would uphold the law. The streets are public throughfares for traffic, plain and simple.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Unless you can show me when it was typical behaviour to crowd and block streets in prayer throughout French history then I think France have every right to act towards their own cultural visitors and guests with a degree of reserved stature.

Since it's not typically French behaviour to crowd streets with hunched heads and an overwhelming lack of respect to the host country, I fully support France's right to keep and activate this law.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

Gee, people dont even do this in muslim dominated Tunisia. This is for show and protest.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy
Muslims pray anywhere......there was one guy seen praying on top of a new york cab...il try and add the pic in an edit

Ive not seen many christians praying in the streets,

Well, better than getting his prayer rug dirty on the New York streets, no? At any rate, how would you know if Christians were praying in the street - different style of prayer, you'd have to see them with their eyes closed and their hands clasped, unless they were one of those Evangelicals with their palms raised toward heaven.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
This law is against a showy display that disturbs the public, if I am alone and want to close my eyes for thirty seconds, and make a silent prayer nothing will happen to me. The police will enforce it on those groups that are blocking public area's for an unnecessary amount of time. There is a time and place for everything.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

For once i agree with french with this.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Am I going to be allowed to meditate in the park in Paris?

Maybe, but then chances are you would not be in a large group lining the streets.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

I am surprised France tolerates Islam in general. France was one of many locations in Europe, which were under Christian control for countless of generations. Europe was a very-very heavy Christian society.

edit on 9/16/2011 by Section31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SemperGumby

No offense to islam but shouldnt they be praying in their masques?
How many times a day do they pray anyway?

It is 5x a day. I think it is going to be a big problem if they expect to block traffic and create a display 5 times a day, but more people go to mosque on Friday than any other day. This is probably Friday when people make a bigger effort. It is probably about 1 oclockish too. Midday prayers I bet.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Tony4211

tell that to the daughters of muslim fathers who were murdered because they dated non muslims

tell that to the millions of women who have been stoned

tell that to the millions of women who have been raped but need 5 witness to prove it.

and a myriad of others.

oh and thats recent history.
edit on 16-9-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Let's put the Ten Commandments back up in front of that Courthouse then shall we?

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

I've seen people do this in a restaurant in the States. But then they owned the restaurant. It was not outside blocking traffic though.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Here’s the deal: Muslims are supposed to pray 5 times a day at specific times.

It usually is about:
Morning: 3 to 5 am
Early Afternoon 12 to 1
Late afternoon 3 to 5
Early evening Right after sunset

But the Shariah allows people to make up these prayers one misses later at home rather than disturbing the peace of others as these “Muslims” are doing.

Though it’s only the “devout” or those who want to show off their piety and religion that do this ostentatious stuff like in these videos.

It is though actually against the spirit of Islam to do this because these people largely are praying “to be seen of men” not really out of piety IMO.

Most Muslims who work on western schedules and do 5 prayers a day do them later at home or go to a mosque and do the community prayer.

These videos may be the community Friday prayer called Jumah

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by inforeal

You are actually pretty much on target here, but you missed the nightime prayer

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ToneDeaf
Jails will be then filled with people, their crime praying ?

What is the world coming to *sigh*
The planet has become insane.

Jail is only one form of punishment and it's only illegal because they are causing a problem. If they weren't doing it in the street blocking traffic no one would care. They know what they are doing and we know where it will lead eventually....to bloodshed. Maybe not today but it will. Only a matter of time.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by stainlesssteelrat
I just want to point out, that non-believers, atheists, agnostics, or people like me, who simply believe in god, but disregard existing religious orders, very rarely have a problem with praying people in their vicinity.

It's nearly always the believers, from other major religious, who feel offended that someone is praying to the wrong god.
You know, "You shall have no other gods before Him, they are sinners and blasphemic, kiiiiill them. Thankfully some parts of our world live in 'age of reason', so they will not kill them. They will make rules, regulations, which breaking will bring repercussions.
Some other parts aren't so "civilized", praying with hands together and cross around your neck would be considered "deliberate suicide" in them.

Well, unfortunately, this has a feeling of an attempt at covert conversion of the infidels. When will the seculars figure out that this is radicalization at its best.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

The nighttime prayer is Isha the 5th.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Praying in public is fine, and I am all for religious equality...BUT, when your praying starts physically interfering with other people, those actions must be stopped immediately. Why do muslims think it is okay to stop and pray in the middle of the street? That is ARROGANT. Islam is the only religion that is quick to not only get their feelings hurt, but the first to call for violence in response to something as trivial as showing the face of their "prophet."

The reason I say this is because that is hypocritical. THEY think they should be allowed to interfere with other people's lives everyday without consequence, but they don't mind their own business, and start attacking other people who they think have offended them. What about all of those people you offended while sitting in the middle of the walkway, blocking people's paths? Is it okay to offend them, as long as they don't offend you? How can you argue with that, because I am not seeing a way out of it.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
This is an attack on the muslims because they pray wherever they want. I dont see why people would want to pray in public in the first place, go home and do it in your own privacy the way its suppose to be done.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
By the way... when I go to paris I'm goin to walk right down the street and pray while my eyes are open and im walking. Praying in my head...no one would ever suspect I'm praying but I will be. Just to piss on their shoes so to speak

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join