It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK makes it harder to arrest war criminals, Israel government thanks them

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Well the war criminals in the Israeli government (or any government for that matter, like Cheney, Bush, Blair, Kissinger, Kaddafi, etc) sure are gonna be happy.

UK tightens rules on arresting foreigners

Britain amended a law Thursday to make it tougher for ordinary citizens or activist groups to get arrest warrants against suspected war criminals or torturers — a move that angered some human rights activists but pleased Israel, whose visiting officials had been under frequent threat of detention.

Britain's universal jurisdiction law allows British courts to prosecute foreigners accused of crimes against humanity, no matter where the alleged crimes were committed. The principle of the law is rooted in the belief that certain crimes — such as genocide, hostage-taking and torture — are so serious that they must be addressed wherever a suspect can be detained.

In the past, attempts have been made to obtain warrants to arrest visiting foreign dignitaries from a host of countries, including former U.S. Secretary of State Henry Kissinger, Chinese Trade Minister Bo Xilai and Tzipi Livni, former foreign minister and now leader of the opposition in Israel.

"We are glad that Britain has made the right choice," said Israeli Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Ilana Stein.

Some human rights attorneys, however, disagreed with the change, saying it could keep real criminals from seeing justice.

``Real criminals``... yeah like Kissinger and many others that visit the UK are not ``real`` criminals. Give me a break.

"This marks a backward, nervous step by the U.K., which is reluctant to bring tyrants and torturers to justice if it suits the government to sell them arms or to turn a blind eye to their human rights violations," said Geoffrey Robertson, who as a U.N. appeals judge delivered key decisions on war crimes.

War criminals protecting other war criminals... not a big surprise.
edit on 15-9-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
It is a good thing since it violates Diplomatic Immunity.

As much as you hate the US, war crimes prosecutions won't occur. The US has rejected the ICC and Rome accords, which established the absurd theory called universal jurisdiction. Not to mention the PResident falls under Sovereign Immunity.

The ICC also violates its own charter by going after people who are citizens of a country that are not signatories to the ICC. It specifically states the ICC has no jurisdiction in countries who arent signatories.

Also, the UN has also labeled some actions by Hamas as well as Hezbullah as war crimes. Any reason you and the others dont take that on?

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

The issue here is that the law has been modified specifically to protect certain people, despite the law not being an issue in the past when scores of other so called 'real' war criminals were arrested. Any individual for whom there exists significant evidence of participation in warcrimes/crimes against humanity should be arrested for these crimes regardless of their origin or diplomatic status.

edit on 15-9-2011 by lifeissacred because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Dude i wouldnt even worry about Kissinger or any other war criminals. When they die they get to face the ultimate Judge, Jury and executioner. He is called God, and what he will do to them will make them wish they were never born.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by lifeissacred

Which to an extent is fine.

However, when the calls for prosecution is limited to Western Governments by some, then what? Should the leaders of Hamas, Hezbullah and a few others be ignored based solely on the point of people just not liking what the US does?

Calls for prosecution of US over the legal and justified war in Iraq yet they didnt care when Hussein was in office.
Calls for prosecution of US over the legal and justified war in Afghanistan yet they didnt care about The Taliban.

Also, the argument for prosecution for people who arent members undermines the very argument for. Using the term of Universal Jurisdiction, any country can protect themselves by invoking that term for the basis of military action.

I dont have issues of people being held accountible for certain things. However, when its a one sided argument, the argument itself is baseless because at that point its based on opinion / politics instead of facts.

As evidence of how that could happen, the personal prosecution, can be found in the OP's post. No where in the title o fthe article does it state Israel thanked them. No where in the text of the article does it have Israel thanking Britain.

When a person prosecutes based on personal politics, the justice is lost.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

Dude i wouldnt even worry about Kissinger or any other war criminals. When they die they get to face the ultimate Judge, Jury and executioner. He is called God, and what he will do to them will make them wish they were never born.

Who told you that? The Christian Bible no doubt.

Who wrote it? The very people you're saying will be punished.

The longer you count on your God to fight your battles and reprimand your enemies, the longer you'll continue to lose the battles that your God put you on this Earth to battle in his honor.

You: "Smite my enemies and these ever evasive war criminals o Lord!"
God: "Um, that's kinda the reason I put you here, to make the right choice and take the right action against these criminals so you're worthy of passing through my gates".
You: "But that's waaaaaaaaaay more difficult than counting on you to do it for me".
God: "Yep, it's your choice my child".

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Everyone should be held accountable for their actions, the part of the law which was altered seems to have been something to do with universal jurisdiction, which if I understand it correctly allows the courts to issue warrants for the arrest of individuals whom may have committed serious crimes in other countries.
This means that it may potentially be increasingly difficult for human rights organisations and campaigners who track people who have committed crimes against humanity to work with the authorities and ensure their arrest if a key piece of legislation utilised by these organisations has been repealed.

edit on 15-9-2011 by lifeissacred because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Sounds like you support the real war criminals

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Diplomatic immunity is a BS concept. It's always used for spying, murder, pedophiles, war criminals... it's totally abused.

As much as you hate the US, war crimes prosecutions won't occur.

I don't hate the US, I hate the war criminals in it. And people protecting them, which you are one of those apparently. Justice must be done.

The US has rejected the ICC and Rome accords, which established the absurd theory called universal jurisdiction. Not to mention the PResident falls under Sovereign Immunity.

So what. If someone wants to imprison Obama, they can go for it since he's a war criminal.

The ICC also violates its own charter by going after people who are citizens of a country that are not signatories to the ICC. It specifically states the ICC has no jurisdiction in countries who arent signatories.

Well they are not signatories because the countries are full of criminals and they run the government.

Also, the UN has also labeled some actions by Hamas as well as Hezbullah as war crimes. Any reason you and the others dont take that on?

They should go and arrest them if they can. But you know, the Hamas leaders and Hizbullah leaders are not going around the world ``catapulting their propaganda`` like Kissinger, Bush, Obama, Blair, Clinton, Netanyahu and others are doing all the time.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Diplomatic immunity is a BS concept. It's always used for spying, murder, pedophiles, war criminals... it's totally abused.

Unless the people accused are one you support, then your fine with it.

[

I don't hate the US, I hate the war criminals in it. And people protecting them, which you are one of those apparently. Justice must be done.

Actually i'm not, but thank you for showing your arrogance. Secondly, regardless of how many times you use the term criminal oir war crimes, they are guilty till proven innocent, unless thats one more double standard you wish to apply?

So what. If someone wants to imprison Obama, they can go for it since he's a war criminal.

And again if he was subject to your sense of law, then you might have a case. Since he is not, and foreign laws dont truimp our Constitution, I dont forsee anything occuring in the form of an arrest / indictment.

For a person who apparently demands the rule of law be applied, you sure have a warped sense on what it is, how it works, and how you want it applied. You need to put dwn your little red book and think on your own for a change.

Well they are not signatories because the countries are full of criminals and they run the government.

Since the President has nothing to doi with the treaty, you would, once again, be wrong in your rant. Congress is respoinsible for ratifying treaties, not the PResident. Is it to much to ask that you actually understand how a legal system works before demaning and making claims?

The ICC is a fraud and is not a part of the UN. It does not guarantee all of the rights afforded to US citizens. You call it criminal, I call it common sense. When you decide to learn about little things called sovereignty get back to me.

They should go and arrest them if they can. But you know, the Hamas leaders and Hizbullah leaders are not going around the world ``catapulting their propaganda`` like Kissinger, Bush, Obama, Blair, Clinton, Netanyahu and others are doing all the time.

Ah yes, confirmation of not only the douvle standard, but also your agenda. You don't care about anything the US does, you just want to punish it and nothing more. You don't care about justice. What you seak is revenge.

Good luck with that.. You should speak with your Hamas / Hezzbollah friends since they seem to be so goood at it. 50 years and counting for their revenge.

While your at it you shojld ask Hezzbullah why they disregarded arrest warrants for top members in relation to the Harari assasination?
edit on 16-9-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter

Sounds like you support the real war criminals

Not at all. Ive gone on record stating I dont agree with the way Hamas, Hezzbollah, Syria or Iran have acted and are currently acted.

You and Victhillo are the cyber equivelant of 1980's/1990's France. Your position is whatever is opposite of the US position.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   

One days these criminals will be up in Chinese courts...

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Most laws are now written by criminals and YOU back them every time..

I think most know what that makes you..

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

Most laws are now written by criminals and YOU back them every time..

I think most know what that makes you..

Exactly the same thing it makes you.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Freedom from those criminals in law might take awhile.
By then they will be gone and a new set might take their place.
Some think the FED is the problem.
Some think Wall Street is the problem.
Some people await free energy.

Wish there were a formula to change things from rulers without our cause
but I have no equation.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
israel=devil
helping the devil=devil`s slave
uk=devil`s slave

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I don't know if this is good or bad, will have to delve further, one thing I do know is that this has nothing to do with Israel as Press TV would make us believe.

From the BBC website

Earlier this month, former Bosnian president Ejup Ganic claimed his extradition case from the UK to Serbia was politically motivated. The case at Westminster Magistrates Court in London continues.
Earlier this month, former Bosnian president Ejup Ganic claimed his extradition case from the UK to Serbia was politically motivated. The case at Westminster Magistrates Court in London continues.

If extradited, he would face prosecution for alleged atrocities in Sarajevo in 1992.

Writing in the Daily Telegraph in March, then Prime Minister Gordon Brown said: "As we have seen, there is now significant danger of such a provision being exploited by politically-motivated organisations or individuals who set out only to grab headlines knowing their case has no realistic chance of a successful prosecution.

BBC link

'War crimes'? is Israel guilty of this because it protects itself or builds where it shouldn't? no this isnt war, no more than what the Chinese are doing in Tibet. is war.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

this judging you speak of is only a man made idea so that people that have no recourse for transgressions against them can feel better. kind of like a "my daddy will get you for this", not going to happen folks, sorry.....

top topics

join