It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To the 2011 Evacuees: Please give ATS a progress report? We want to hear from you.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I do not intend for this to be North American centric, because I know that horrible disasters in Japan and New Zealand hit this year as well. I am haunted by all the pics and videos I've seen since spring of this year of all the natural disasters that forced people from their homes and their land, whether from fire or flood , tornado, typhoon or hurricane, this spring and summer. (I'm not forgetting about the famine victims either, but there are threads about that. Just type 'famine' into the ATS search engine)

I often think of those people from all parts of the world who have had to drop everything and leave what had been until then, a daily comfortable routine, until they encountered their own SHTF situation. Families in Japan, Christchurch, Joplin, Texas, Slave Lake lost their homes. Many are still flooded out in New Jersey, to name but a few.

And I think most of us do care about your present situation. (For those of you who are thinking to make some snide remark about links and pictures, or aliens, don't waste your time being disrespectful and posting in this thread. Shoo, go elsewhere.)

I am interested in knowing what has happened to the evacuated people, how far away you've gone, how long you've been /were gone, and whether you have returned or can ever return.
I am also interested in knowing what kind of help you obtained and what kind you really needed and wished you had received. How are you able to post online?

Were your SHTF preparations of any help? If not, why not? Were there things in your plan you should have revised?

What unexpected surprises awaited you?

The school year has begun. Are your children back in school somewhere?

What happened to your animals and pets?

How are you coping now? Is there any way ordinary people can support you?

Please keep us informed. We all care about you.

voluntary military evacuations in Japan
Vermont costs
edit on 15-9-2011 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

I live in Bastrop, Texas. We are just now putting out the last of the most devastating fire in Texas history. I did not personally suffer except for mandatory evacuation at the fire's worst. I was persoonally "hurt" by knowing that several friends had lost their homes and that our beautiful part of the state, the "Lost Pines" of Bastrop are gone for the most part.

You do youself or others no service with this thread. Please remove it.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Well I was just watching the evening news here...
seems the High School in Joplin cannot be rebuilt where it is with Federal money... seems it's on a flood plane so it has to be moved several miles.... to build on the proposed new location... the City of Joplin is buying up some 60 properties from home owners....

in one case the city had in enact the imminent domain laws and force that home owner to sell ... right when they were in the middle of rebuilding their home.... by the way that displaced home owner.... is a retired teacher

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

I too lost my home, so I do understand more than you know. I'm sorry you feel that way. At the very least we can learn something from each other and give some support. Peace and love.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Relocation will be a reality for many. Did the news report mention what is happening to the school year of those students at the present time?

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I do understand that for the current ongoing situations, the loss is raw and the pain is fresh, too fresh to post perhaps.

There are some though who have returned and are forging ahead. For me, although I lost almost everything, I discovered how wonderful total strangers could be, how they filled gaps that not even family could fill. That was unexpected and really appreciated. I have had to adapt to frugal living, and although it means a lot of change, it's not a bad thing for me.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun

I live in Bastrop, Texas. We are just now putting out the last of the most devastating fire in Texas history. I did not personally suffer except for mandatory evacuation at the fire's worst. I was persoonally "hurt" by knowing that several friends had lost their homes and that our beautiful part of the state, the "Lost Pines" of Bastrop are gone for the most part.

You do youself or others no service with this thread. Please remove it.

are no words that are intimidating, fear-mongering hateful, nothing negative about it. She or he is simply tryng to percieve a future SHTF scenerio for her or himself. To share your delimas is being what americans once called patriotic and american. "Help thy neighbor" Through yoru disaster we can prepare even better.

S&F to the OP

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

I also live in thexas, south west area. This extreme drought is very veyr bad. Just this morning I was watching the local news and was informed with the El Nin`a comming we are foreseeing a multi years drought. Your asking people who have survived natural disasters if they were fully prepared and what would they do differnet was a very good question for others to consider. It is quite sad all the natural disasters happening and that have happened, yet from their mishaps we cna learn further more a better prepared emergency system/package.
peace

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by aboutface
reply to post by DaddyBare

Relocation will be a reality for many. Did the news report mention what is happening to the school year of those students at the present time?

I live about 60 miles due west of Joplin and really only get my local news from them...
Saying that... if I remember right... they have a temporary place for students... and bus away as many as are willing to go elsewhere... it'll be two or more years before the high school is up and running again... esp with them having to relocate... rebuilding BTW is slow and steady... the city has upped their building codes.... insurance has not kept up with the costs of rebuilding... so many are stuck with out of pocket expenses... many of the business that were lost are only just now reopening... in new locations... even the home depot is still doing business out the parking lot rather then in store... slow and steady progress

top topics

join