It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9 Household objects you can eat to stay alive

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
if you notice the S is in the process of hitting the proverbial fan ....then start growing a garden somewhere.
or a couple.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I wouldn't eat any of those household objects. I'd much rather sneak out the door and eat the dandelions, once I've eaten everything from the veggie patch and fruit trees.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

To funny... good find Dave... S&F
by the way... eatting soap will give you the squirts... might not want to do that one...

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

The SUN WILL provide energy as well you can get known vitamin d from it who knows what else
thanks for sharing. I would rather dig in the dirt for food. smh

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
by the way... eatting soap will give you the squirts... might not want to do that one...

Yeuch, I just got a quick image of bubbly, popping, noisy, u-know-what.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Since people appear to be discussing this in earnest, I might as well add the most obvious "item" of all: urine.
Not faeces, just urine.

It has saved the life of many mountain climbers, of at least one marathon runner and countless other people in dire straits, including soldiers. The trick is to start drinking it ASAP.

Oh, and because it can be used for other purposes in the household, I suppose it counts as a household "object" too.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I'd think you'd probably go for vermin (bugs and rodents) before trying any of those things (except maybe the pet food) in the OP....

If looking for serious emergency rations, there are companies that make them...they are like cereal bars. 5 year shelf life. Taste like sawdust, but you could live on 'em....

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   

she'll die eventually since you're eating her food... >.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
You could eat some of your none essential body parts such as a few fingers, a few toes some skin/surface meat here and there if things got real bad....a finger could keep you going for a few days if you made soup with it, add some leather etc....

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Reevster

uh, that left such a nasty mental taste in my mouth as well as a nasty mental image in my mind... kudos!!

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Except for the pet food, and only then if cooked I wouldn't even attempt to eat anything on that list. There is far too much other better food sources available if you only first get over the "civility" of them.

There are numerous insects available that are edible even in the city. In the city you can live off of pidgeons, they are in the dove family and I can attest to the fact that dove is delicious, we go every season. You don't even need a gun to kill them, rat traps and mouse traps are worth their weight in gold in survival situations, just put some out on a window sill with bait on them and you'll eat just fine.

They work wonders in yards as well for catching squirrel, mice and small game. Even if the traps don't kill the larger varieties of small game such as rabbit or the neighbors cat, as long as its tethered and staked off you will have the game when you come back to check the trap.

There are numerous edible plants that are growing in most peoples yards such as dandelion, rye grass and other grasses, roots of most grasses and shrubs are edible, as well as acorns and the like and inner tree bark of many trees.

I would much rather take my chances with these than eating on the tongue of my old workboots.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

The water in the tank of a toilet is the same water that comes out of your tap. In an emergency situation, it is ok to drink.

Do not drink the water from the bowl!!!

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I have a cute little poodle and a 3 legged cat. The cat is very very old and on its second to last leg (pun intended) also skinny as all get out. The dog on the other hand although cute...is a little turd and there are days when I think about WTSHTF and it gets real bad that he would be better as a roast then my little friend. But before I am flamed to badly I would probably eat his food and the cat food and then grease and some cardboard before I would get hungry enough to look into those creepy (but cute) black little doll dog eyes and salivate...
edit on 19-9-2011 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Some of these would do more harm than good, such as eating soap and toothpaste. Those can make you pretty sick....

Now, how do you eat air? Closest thing I can do to that is swallow air to make myself burp...Does that count?

Honestly I would say, learn how to fish, hunt etc...

Plant some trees that produce fruit, in your yard. Make a small garden even. There are so many better things you could do, than to rely on eating the things from this list.

edit on 19-9-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I recently watched the History channel and the show was regarding a post-SHTF scenario (virus pandemic I think), anyway...the main characters, a husband, wife and teenager, are wandering in the desert or southwest somewhere and they drink the water from a radiator from an old truck. I don't know, don't they put antifreeze in that stuff? Well, maybe not down south. Maybe it is okay but at the time watching it I thought no way! They did boil it but it was nasty, orange/rusty looking water. So I guess that's an option if you live down south. As far as food around the house; paper? Doesn't it have celluose in it, from the wood it was made from? If so, I have plenty of books to eat...

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Americantrucker
reply to post by neo96

The water in the tank of a toilet is the same water that comes out of your tap. In an emergency situation, it is ok to drink.

Do not drink the water from the bowl!!!

Well, unless you are a dog

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by queenofsheba

Ohh books!! Nice idea

Hopefully you can find something by Francis Bacon

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
That is when you take up hunting
And become a carnivore, again.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
~
Dust bunnies slightly roasted ,
topped with some melted toe jam

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
pet food?, so what happens to the pets ?
I guess you could eat them too.

Probably better if you name your three dogs, breakfast, lunch and diner to ready yourself.
Might want to buy some rabbits too, name them snack and brunch.
edit on 6-10-2011 by R3KR because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join