It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House Pressure for a Donor?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Another potential obama administration scandal coming to light.

This one involving "allegedly" pressuring a general to change his testimony to congress on a project to make it more favorable to a big obama campaign donor - sound familiar?

source

The four-star Air Force general who oversees Air Force Space Command walked into a highly secured room on Capitol Hill a week ago to give a classified briefing to lawmakers and staff, and dropped a surprise. Pressed by members, Gen. William Shelton said the White House tried to pressure him to change his testimony to make it more favorable to a company tied to a large Democratic donor.

The episode —confirmed by The Daily Beast in interviews with administration officials and the chairman of a congressional oversight committee —is the latest in a string of incidents that have given Republicans sudden fodder for questions about whether the Obama administration is politically interfering in routine government matters that affect donors or fundraisers. Already, the FBI and a House committee are investigating a federal loan guarantee to a now failed solar firm called Solyndra that is tied to a large Obama fundraiser.

Here's the real problem:

The general told Turner's committee that preliminary tests of a new LightSquared proposal to use only a portion of the band that it was licensed originally in 2004 would cause significant disruptions to GPS.

So bottom line, it appears we have the White House pressuring a general to change his testimony to make it seem like he supported the big obama campaign donor's project when in reality the military is concerned that this project will significantly disrupt their GPS system. The exact same military GPS that EVERYTHING in the military runs off of.

When can we stop this madness?

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Oh...you forgot to put the part of the article in where it says this is a ROUTINE PROCEDURE done when ever an agency member has to testify. You also forgot to mention it was a request, which they routinely do...and not a demand.

www.thedailybeast.com...

The White House confirmed Wednesday that its Office of Management and Budget suggested changes to the general’s testimony but insisted such reviews are routine and not influenced by politics. And it said Shelton was permitted to give the testimony he wants, without any pressure.

OMB “reviews and clears all agency communications with Congress, including testimony, to ensure consistency in the administration’s policy positions,” said White House spokesman Eric Schultz. “When an agency is asked by a congressional committee to testify, OMB circulates the agency’s proposed [draft] testimony to other affected agencies and appropriate [executive office of the president] staff. If a reviewer has a comment to the proposed testimony, that suggestion is typically conveyed to the agency for their consideration. When divergent views emerge, they are often reconciled through discussions at the appropriate policy levels of OMB and the agencies.” The general’s office declined to comment.

I know you didn't mean to omit that...fair and balanced and all that you know

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

I have talked about the vulnerability of or GPS system for quite some time. There is such an overdependence on this technology that people should remember or learn how to use a map and a compass. I remember that the first generation GPS would simply get you within the ballpark of your destination... Flip the switch again and everyone will be screwed and confused especially the younger smart phone dependent generation.

Good luck and don't count on GPS for the future.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Often I feel like these political shows are rigged. We get Democrats in power, Republicans find dirt of them, we are outraged, Republicans win the next Presidency. Republicans are in power, Democrats find dirt on Republicans, we are outraged, Democrats win the next Presidency. It seems like a game they like to play to make us believe we're really handing power to the better party the next time around. They occupy is with bull stories, and while we bicker among each other who's party is the lesser evil, they make away with all of our liberties and wealth.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

Oh...you forgot to put the part of the article in where it says this is a ROUTINE PROCEDURE done when ever an agency member has to testify. You also forgot to mention it was a request, which they routinely do...and not a demand.

www.thedailybeast.com...

The White House confirmed Wednesday that its Office of Management and Budget suggested changes to the general’s testimony but insisted such reviews are routine and not influenced by politics. And it said Shelton was permitted to give the testimony he wants, without any pressure.

OMB “reviews and clears all agency communications with Congress, including testimony, to ensure consistency in the administration’s policy positions,” said White House spokesman Eric Schultz. “When an agency is asked by a congressional committee to testify, OMB circulates the agency’s proposed [draft] testimony to other affected agencies and appropriate [executive office of the president] staff. If a reviewer has a comment to the proposed testimony, that suggestion is typically conveyed to the agency for their consideration. When divergent views emerge, they are often reconciled through discussions at the appropriate policy levels of OMB and the agencies.” The general’s office declined to comment.

I know you didn't mean to omit that...fair and balanced and all that you know

Except ...

The general didn't seem to think it was routine. And what else would the White house be expected to say besides, "oh, it was nothing".
And they wanted to make sure the general's testimony was "consistent with administration policy" - a euphemism (look it up) for making sure we help obama get re-elected above all else.

And with the possibility that national security could be "significantly compromised" to help out an obama donor, it's a lot more relevant and consequential than what (non-candidate and non-office holder) Palin did in her distant past, don't you think? Anyway, you might want to try posting these kinds of serious items sometime.

edit on 9/15/2011 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

The corruption of this administration is simply staggering. I must have been very naive in my earlier years; I did realize that bribes from lobbyists happened, and things like that, but this bozo flaunts it in broad daylight. I never imagined such a depth of graft and corruption as this crook commits. We all know by now where the "stimulus" money goes -- it goes to pay off his union cronies and his campaign cronies. What other WH had a special seat for union bigwheels, as Trumka has? Check this out:

I wonder who is more important to Obama, Union Business or Government Business. The old saw is you make time for the important things or people in you life. Obama or Someone at the White House Speaks with AFL-CIO president everyday and meets with him twice a week. Another report says that the President hasn’t met with members of his own cabinet in his first two years in Office.

Obama union corruption

That's where his "jobs bill" money will be spent, folks -- lining Trumka's pockets with money spent on "infrastructure" repairs.

ETA: Sorry for the off-topic rant. I'll comment on the OP soon. But it won't be flattering to BarryO, or give him the benefit of the doubt. He is ghetto crooked.
edit on 15-9-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
guess this is what they mean by "chicago style politics"

fast and furious
solyndra
and now gps

to name a few id say thats more than just a lil bit of dirt.

read in another thread things make sense now that gibbs and mr never let a good crisis go to waste left the wh.

a crook is a crook and crooks are in the white house

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   

This administration and the idiots advising them have such utter disdain for the military and defense that they somehow think that a supporter's business model is more important than the defemse communication infrastructure; and , even more ludicrous, that they could tell a Genreal Officer what to do to help them, their friends, and their agendas out.

I wouldn't be surprised if General Shelton, in his private session, didn't give the committee everything they wanted, and more. i know how I'd feel about these back-stabbers.

What gall!

snf
jw

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
You also have to ask,

How many other people have been 'asked' to change their testimony .....

and agreed to!

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by CitizenNum287119327
You also have to ask,

How many other people have been 'asked' to change their testimony .....

and agreed to!

Well, the article quoted above in the thread says the White House considers it "routine" to see ahead of time what everyone plans to testify and then modify that testimony to "fit the administrations policy objectives".

Sounds like a lot of asking and changing to me ...

edit on 9/15/2011 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Move along nothing to see here. Usual run-of-the-mill political business "Chicago Style." What is national security, government budgets, four star generals, congressional inquiries, justice department investigations, or any other roadblocks when attempting to maintain political leverage and winning re-election no-holds barred? Absolutely nothing! No such thing as roadblocks for this administration? This administration puts such a kind and happy face to the grime and slime riddled world of graft and corruption. Some would like to spin blatant examples of corruption by this administration into something else less serious and rather routine, but some of the more recent dealings have all the hallmarks of corruption.

Like manipulating the political system, hooking buddies up at the expense of the American people and the Office of the President, potentially hindering National Security, and even going so far as to mislead congress during an important investigation. In the last sentence I was referencing the Sestak and Romanoff Scandals leading up to the 2010 midterm elections, the Solyndra Scandal, this incident from the OP with the Four Star General being asked to doctor his testimony, and the Fast and Furious debacle.

Those are some of the allegations off the top of my head, but there are probably other reports I have failed to mention. I guess out of sight and out of mind is the walking orders for the media when covering incidents like what was mentioned above? There have been incidents of shady dealings by the White House, and that goes with out question. The biggest conspiracy here is why nothing sticks to the President or the administration? Perhaps, if this White House survives without indictments or severe public outcry we can consider calling them the Teflon Dons?

Other administrations have engaged in illicit dealings and even corruption, and I am not trying to single this one out in comparison to others. However, just the very practice of it by any political party, politician, or government agency is absolutely appalling and despicable! No sense trying to sugar coat or downplay allegations of corruption, because all it does is help the crooks take advantage of the people they are tasked with serving.
edit on 16-9-2011 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

It looks like a clear case of - suborning perjury -.
That sounds illegal to me. Is it time for a special prosecutor?
Where is Ken Starr???
---------
LightSquared has a HUGE spotlight on it right now.
There is a brighter spotlight on the corrupt Chairman of the FCC. He has - refused - to
testify at the House hearing! OOPS! That's a red flag.
Maybe.....just maybe he has something to hide???

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

i just heard obama as a senator invested in lightsquared.

and now?

impeach the crook

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
guess this is what they mean by "chicago style politics"

fast and furious
solyndra
and now gps

to name a few id say thats more than just a lil bit of dirt.

read in another thread things make sense now that gibbs and mr never let a good crisis go to waste left the wh.

a crook is a crook and crooks are in the white house

No this is the transparency he spoke of, he's doing all of this in plain sight. This is payoffs for all his corrupt buddies that are pulling his strings and got him elected.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Well, the article quoted above in the thread says the White House considers it "routine" to see ahead of time what everyone plans to testify and then modify that testimony to "fit the administrations policy objectives".

Sounds like a lot of asking and changing to me ...

Asking and changing.... that's being polite. I've got other words for it, not so polite.

Like, "If we want your opinion, we'll give it to you".

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

reply to post by Eurisko2012

i just heard obama as a senator invested in lightsquared.

and now?

impeach the crook

Obama must have been a real frugal guy, to be able to afford Ivy League education, big fancy house in Chicago, all the trappings, all on a community organizer's minor ducats.......real role model for the youngsters, earn a penny, save a penny... then on to Wall St investments as a junior senator....

No wonder he had enough material to write 2 books about hisself. Too bad we can't see what his grades were..

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

pretty much know what his grades were by the last 3 years

honesty and integrity F
reading and comprehension F
failure to play well with others F
business and finance F
rewarding failure A+
accelling the destruction of this country A+
crony capitalism A+
lying A+

edit on 17-9-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
2nd "witness" now.

Sep 19, 2011 11:44 PM EDT

A second government official has come forward saying the White House tried to influence his testimony concerning a wireless broadband project backed by a Democratic donor that military officials fear might impair sensitive satellite navigation systems.

White House’s Testimony ‘Guidance’

LightSquared, a wireless network backed by billionaire Democratic donor Philip Falcone, could beam broadband Internet everywhere—but some military officials fear it could interfere with critical GPS signals. Now, as The Daily Beast's Eli Lake exclusively reports, two U.S. officials allege the White House tried to influence their testimony to rush key testing, to LightSquare's benefit.

Russo’s comments come just days after four-star Air Force Gen. William Shelton, who heads U.S. Space Command, told Congress in a classified briefing that he felt pressured by the White House to change his testimony about the same project to make it more favorable to the company.

since most regular citizens don't care one way or the other on most issues like this,

I would think these are normal corporate micro managment tactics.

designed of course to influence the players within the fold of corruption.

I don't expect a town hall meeting on this .....

Obama faces questions on his investments

WASHINGTON — Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama said Wednesday he was not aware he had invested in two companies backed by some of his top donors and said he had done nothing to aid their business with the government.

The Illinois senator faced questions about more than $50,000 in investments he made right after taking office in 2005 in two speculative companies, AVI Biopharma and Skyterra Communications. Obama set up a trust that gave his broker authority to trade stocks on his behalf without his input, according to 16 pages of documents he released Wednesday.

"At no point did I know what stocks were held, and at no point did I direct how those stocks were invested," Obama told reporters at the end of a news conference called to trumpet an unrelated immigration bill.

and now we have another elected official that won't read and tries to claim ignorance !!!!
!!!!

Obama purchased $5,000 in shares for AVI, which was developing a drug to treat avian flu. Two weeks after buying the stock, as the disease was spreading in Asia, Obama pushed for more federal funding to fight the disease, but he said he did not discuss the matter with any company officials.

Obama also had more than $50,000 in shares of Skyterra, a company that had just received federal permission to create a nationwide wireless network that combined satellite and land-based communications systems.

WHeeeewwww.......

new topics

top topics

join