It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F 15s do low altitude fly by over small town in upstate NY

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
The other day I was woken up by jets flying really low over where I live. They were so low they were shaking the houses. They said it was an "air sovereignty" mission, but they did not give any notice to any of the airports nearby.

Fighter jets from the Massachusetts Air National Guard performed some air maneuvers over the Glens Falls region Wednesday morning, prompting inquiries from residents wondering why they were here and what they were doing. Two F-15s from the Massachusetts Air National Guard base in Westfield were practicing the interception of civilian aircraft in what was termed an "air sovereignty" mission. They spent 10 to 15 minutes at low altitudes over the area.

m.poststar.com...

This is a pretty small city, and I don't know why they would be practicing intercept missions here

I've lived here for years and years and never, ever seen anything like this, plus they flew from 3 hours away to conduct a mission? Just doesn't make to much sense. Also, seems weird if they had it planned, why wouldn't they notify any of the airports?

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Hmmm, this is very strange.

edit on 15-9-2011 by atoptreetops because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by atoptreetops

It is strange!! Theres only 2 very small airports in the area one right near where they were flying by, both only have small private jets flying in and out of them. There closest big airport with commercial planes that wuld actually have a lot of people on them would be in Albany, which is like an hour away.

Why not go do their exercises in a remote place farther up north over the woods or someplace else. Why over this small city/ town?

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Consider yourself lucky, unless its an air show all we ever get here is the regular c130's and c 5's. Wish our base was still something other than an air refueling wing. Long gone are those days though.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Oh please I was in for 21 years, 5 squadrons - you would be amazed at what pilots will pull to impress parents, or other personal VIPs. Me thinks you have a momma on the ground in the region and these guys just pulled a divert to send down a big hello. Trust me this happens. ~ Bird

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
By the way where are you??? - I read that Albany is an hour away from you - which means you have F15s stationed about 1 /1/2 hours further E at the 104FW of the Mass Air National Guard - a unit I once belonged to - this only confirms my hunch, its a message to someone on the ground, a show off - possibly by a new pilot on a training flight, or a last flight by someone retiring. By Air this isn't really much of a flight. Stranger things have happened out of that Squadron I can assure you!!!!!!! Somebody in the Air said HELLO that is all.

ps, I didn't notice the embed in the orginal post - it was the 104FW - my old unit - I can write with pretty much 100% assurance - this was done for someone on the ground - I know these guys. I left with the A10s though, the Lawn dart business is not my trade.
edit on 15-9-2011 by LittleBirdSaid because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by DeVIAS

You say that there are two small airports nearby? could it be that while the F-15s were in the area anyway they were helping the Air Traffic Controllers calibrate their radars? That happens regularly beside me where RAF tornados come in low over Aberdeen airport(and the surrounding area).

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I noticed Top Gun has been playing on AMC lately.
Maybe the pilots watched it a few too many times and were doing flybys.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by DeVIAS

just saw something very similar while walking outside my office in Clifton Park, NY. 12065

wonder what they were doing?

2 fighters flying low, in formation. looked to be going south... not sure though

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
They might have been shooting practice Instrument Landing System (ILS) approaches using the local airport's systems. It would keep them out of congested airspace. Right before Desert Storm the local C-130 squadron flew practice approaches at the small airport I worked at. We had people calling and complaining. I finally agreed to call the local Air Force base and report the complaints. When I got a hold of a Captain in Operations, I told him what was going on and then asked if he could arrange for a C-5 to do a missed approach at our airport. When he stopped laughing he said "No can do.". I live in Western Pennsylvania and for years fighters have been flying low level training missions through the valleys every summer. It started with F-4s, then F-15's and F-16"s. We just pull out folding chairs and watch. The only time I was ever really concerned was on Sept. 11th 2001 when I was on my way home from work and saw 2 F-15's armed to the teeth with warshots flying up the Allegheney River.

new topics

top topics

join