It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Osama Bin Laden deserve a trial?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Well look at it this way - if a non-military American citizen had been assassinated in the same fashion by agents from some other government what would your - and America's in general - reaction have been? I bet people would be screaming to go to war.

It's the old 'one set of rules for us and another for everyone else' mentality of those with power...

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ka119

Um, yes? You give trials to the accused.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ka119

It's not a question of whether he deserved a trial it's a question of whether we deserved to witness his trial. And the answer is, yes.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ka119
I stumbled upon THIS article today on MSN and it made me wonder.. Did Osama Bin Laden deserve a trial?

Michael Moore makes a good statement:

"My point is that the way we show the world that we're different is that we give even the most heinous person their day in court," Moore said.

Where Elisabeth Hasselbeck states:

"You're telling me Osama bin Laden deserves a trial?" an increasingly angry Hasselbeck asked. "Where? In New York City? Absolutely not! How dare ... and why, because Casey Anthony's trial went so well?

Personally, I know that had I been a member of SEAL Team Six and was the first one in the room, I would have shot him too. The thing we don't always realize as civilians is that in combat, adrenaline is surging like never before, when you actually see and acquire your target a whole new burst is let through your bloodstream. Im sure whether we like to admit it or not, the majority of us would have shot him on the spot as well.

Anyways, I thought this might bring up some good discussion. Have at it.

edit: I just wanted to reiterate and make clear that I DO believe that he deserved a trial, however I can see under the circumstances and the sheer pressure of the mission how he was shot.

edit on 15/9/2011 by kosmicjack because: spelling error

edit on 12/10/2010 by ka119 because: (no reason given)

You make it seem like he was killed by accident or something, even though we know that SEAL Team Six was ordered from the get-go to go in and kill OBL. They weren't told to capture, just to kill.

But yeah, of course he deserved a trial. There's no human that ever lived that did/does not deserve a trial. Even Hitler would've deserved a trial, had he not committed suicide.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by colin42

Of course he did

If you believe in law then there is no choice. His assasination if you believe the hype shows those in power only believe in law when it suits.

Still its pretty hard to put a guy on trial when he has just spent a good few years in a freezer.

Somebody's paying attention....

One could state that the operation was to take him prisoner, and he resisted arrest though....but I don't think they ever made that claim. Like the poster quoted though, I believe they had him on ice for a while, and that this whole thing was a sham. Why else would you get rid of the body so quickly...???

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Of course, he deserved a trial! USA (a Republic, not a democracy) is SUPPOSED to be a nation of laws. Not that I even buy into this recent Osama bin Laden story--he initially denied participation in 9/11--many reported him dead long ago, etc.
What happened to "innocent until proven guilty", may I ask? If someone can be assassinated just on the say-so of someone in government, without benefit of trial, then what's to stop the same someone from saying that you or I should be assassinated, also without the benefit of trial?

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Somebody's paying attention....

One could state that the operation was to take him prisoner, and he resisted arrest though....but I don't think they ever made that claim. Like the poster quoted though, I believe they had him on ice for a while, and that this whole thing was a sham. Why else would you get rid of the body so quickly...???

Then...

Let's take the scenario one step further. If everything is a fabricated sham then why even bother keeping the body on ice all those years in the first place? Then when the time came to "Kill" him they just dumped the body at sea with no photos being released and obviously no trial.

What would be the point of keeping him on ice?

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I am just going to answer the OP question.

No, I think he deserved a bullet in the head, just like what he got.

A trial is to good for such a low life. Personally, I would of liked to have seen him captured, and strung up in NYC at ground zero alive so people could of whacked him with sticks and rocks, but that is just my opinion.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ka119

The problem is we as a nation are not different,we just try to make it look that way and to answer your question "NO".If it really was Osama he derserved to die just like he belived,to give him a day in court would mock the people he killed in what he saw as a "war".

No doubt many more innocent people would have died while he was being tried in court to get him free,there would have been hostage's taken all over the world.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ka119

Personally, I know that had I been a member of SEAL Team Six and was the first one in the room, I would have shot him too

Plainly you are a man of justice.

The thing we don't always realize as civilians is that in combat, adrenaline is surging like never before, when you actually see and acquire your target a whole new burst is let through your bloodstream

You telling like that it was meant to happen. Like we are piece of meet and vessels , we lack mind , reasoning and conscious. Human beings are responsible for what they do.

It is not accepted that , I was angry , my blood pressure rose up , I was impressed by inner vessel hormones . so I pulled the trigger.

It seems to me leading to denying free will and the truth about human nature .

We are responsible beings.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by hmdphantom

We are responsible beings.

So was Osama

He got what he deserved a double tap in return

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Learn that a trial is not even fair.Osama Bin LAden can get off and then order more people to be killed if the right laws and what not protect Him.Bottom line is after World War 2 the world has to understand how wreckless and dangerous this world can get.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
LIve by the sword you will die by the sword.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu

But a trial under WHOSE laws? Remember, US law does not extend across the world. Think that a trial in his adopted homeland of Pakistan, which was harboring him, would have turned out according to US law? Then there are legal issues with kidnapping foreign nationals and bringing them to the US for trial under our laws.

Seriously, some folks read too many spy novels.

I'm quoting that because many here need to really stop and think about this question.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

The crime occurred on US Soil, US laws apply. (If we are talking about 9/11). There are two ways for him to stand trial, one way is to surround the compound and let Pakistan arrest him, so we can extradite. The other way is to send in a Spec Ops team and let him anonymously appear on the front steps of a NYC precinct.

Either way, he could have stood trial, and NYC, NY State plus the FAA and Federal Govt all had jurisdiction.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
There is a reason we have laws and a legal system.
And that is so people wont judge other people based on their personal feelings and opinions.

We have no right to judge Osama or anyone else based on the rule of democracy. In other words what the majority of the public must think or feel.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2manyquestions
reply to post by ka119

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I actually agree with Michael Moore on this. We give trials to some of the most gruesome serial killers to ever walk the earth, yet we conveniently shoot the most wanted man without asking some questions first? Saddam Hussein had a trial and so did other dictators responsible for thousands of deaths. Why not Osama Bin Laden? We have laws in this country, and we get punished when we break those laws. Nobody is letting us off the hook. For people like Osama, life would have been a lot worse than giving him death. Death is the easy way out, it's practically a gift considering what he would have had to go through for the rest of his life.

Then again..... there is the distinct possibility that Osama has been dead for the last ten years, and the only way to cover their tracks was to stage this assassination and "dump his body" into the ocean. We give him no trial and shoot him on the spot for all he's done, but then we supposedly respect his Muslim customs and bury him in the ocean? WTF???! It makes no sense.
edit on 15-9-2011 by 2manyquestions because: (no reason given)
Absolutely positively correct here.Osama was never captured,killed,and dumped.This story is so ridiculous,I dont think anybody with reasonable intelligence on the planet believes this fairy tale.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Act of war is not the same thing as an act of crime.All though it is criminal act.When will you people wake up that this country is in terrible shape and the world is also in terrible shape and it is unfolding before our very own eyes of possibly World War 3.
North Korea attacks South Korea again it is all out war.Mexican Drug Cartel is a terrible war going on not mentioned enough and is getting worse.Iraq War that still is very uncertain which direction it will fall into.Afghanistan is a total mess and I doubt it gets solved.,Karzia is terribly corrupt
Pakistan is a total mess and corrupt and hid the worlds most wnated man in a town near military bases.I mean wake up people for crying out loud.
Now we have turmoil that is out of control in Egypt and Syria.War in Yemen and Libya,Samolia,
The world pushing for a Palestine State when Palestine has some of the worst mass murdering lunatic terrorist minds running the place.Lebanon who has fallen to Hezbollah who also are lunatics.Then you have Israel and Iran threatening war with each other every single year and everyone wonders when will it realy happen.
Top this off with Europe economy crisis and the U.S. economy crisis and nothing good can come out of this.Greece before to long will default and collapse.U.S.almost defaulted on its debt.Italy is going to default eventually.Hate to say it but it looks like a dire terrible slowly evolving process.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

The crime occurred on US Soil, US laws apply. (If we are talking about 9/11). There are two ways for him to stand trial, one way is to surround the compound and let Pakistan arrest him, so we can extradite. The other way is to send in a Spec Ops team and let him anonymously appear on the front steps of a NYC precinct.

And if we are talking about the USS Cole and Embassy bombings? All of which preceded 9/11 by a few years that resulted in the FBI issuing a WANTED Dead or Alive warrant...

Which still stood irregardless of 9/11.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Much, much stickier situation. This is why I hate the terms "terrorism" and "enemy combatant" and other glossed over words.

In my opinion the Embassy bombings and USS Cole were acts of war, and should have been followed up with retaliating acts of war. No need for trials or extraditions, just a need for military intelligence and a counter-strike.

If you attack a military unit, you have initiated a battle of war.

If you intentionally target and attack civilians, then it could go either way. If you are an individual or rogue group, then it is a crime. If you are a state-sponsored military or political figure, then you have initiated a war.

There is no need for the middle ground of "terrorism."

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join