It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Osama Bin Laden deserve a trial?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

If a US citizen rapes a Canadian, that person has violated Canadian law and is subject to Canadian law. I don't go to Canada and speed in my car, that would be breaking Canadian law. But I should not expect Canada to let me go because I am American and therefore have Constitutional rights. I'm subject to their laws while I am there.

Now thinking about the right to keep and bear arms, are illegal nationals afforded the right? Gun ownership here requires licenses but if you are not a legal citizen you can't buy a license. But the Constitution does not say we need a license, only that we have the right. So do all illegal persons have the right to keep and bear arms because the Constitution says persons? When we say persons, we must define that. And if persons means everyone, then all illegals can have guns.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griffo
Well, if you American's want to bring "democracy" to the Middle East, then you should be prepared to bring your 6th amendment with you too

The sixth amendment applies to the conduct of criminal prosecutions. As Osama bin Laden was not criminally prosecuted, the sixth amendment does not apply. In any case, the Constitution does not follow armies into foreign territory.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
yes he deserved a trial.
he may well have planned and executed it the world at least should have seen him punished for his crimes. he had an easy escape.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by rudigerfoodiger

here is an article on cracked.com that makes a perfectly good case that bin laden is a fictional construct.
osama bin laden

I think that was satire....I mean it is a comedy site, and they are making an argument based solely on the different spellings of his name. Anyone can tell you that ANY English spelling of his name is simply a phonetic approximation, because his original name is not written in English characters.

It's either satire.....or it's the single dumbest article I've ever read from Cracked.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by bhornbuckle75

here is an article on cracked.com that makes a perfectly good case that bin laden is a fictional construct.
osama bin laden

I think that was satire....I mean it is a comedy site, and they are making an argument based solely on the different spellings of his name. Anyone can tell you that ANY English spelling of his name is simply a phonetic approximation, because his original name is not written in English characters.

It's either satire.....or it's the single dumbest article I've ever read from Cracked.

I think you are making a satire of changing names as well.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by RSF77
You could just set him loose in the middle of times square and let him be judged by the kin of those who he claimed responsibility for killing.

When did he ever claim responsibility for 9/11? When it first happened, he denied any involvement.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jessicamsa
When did he ever claim responsibility for 9/11?

October 29, 2004, at 21:00 UTC.

When it first happened, he denied any involvement.

Of course. He needed to establish a long-term hiding place before he risked attaching any culpability to himself.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by SevenOhhTwo
Then again didnt members of the seal 6 die?? Maybe they knew something we didnt, and thats why that chopper go shot down..
edit on 15-9-2011 by SevenOhhTwo because: (no reason given)

NOOO! ugh... people from the same unit died, but no one from the OBL mission is dead.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
A trial is for someone who pleads not guilty. He admitted planning and coordinating the hijackings and subsequent crashes. No, he did not deserve a trial.

With that said, I wish we could have taken him alive.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

tho it is my opinion that the osama bin laden identity is a fictional construct, used for war hysteria purposes - yes, of course he should have been tried, not illegally murdered - on the off chance that he actually exists.

osama bin laden

Are... Are you serious? Cracked is a COMEDY website. I mean, I honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic and if you are i'm sorry, but Cracked.com is not exactly something I would source when it comes to speculation on a topic like this. Also, of course they're joking. Just read it. It's funny.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by StopFearMongering

tho it is my opinion that the osama bin laden identity is a fictional construct, used for war hysteria purposes - yes, of course he should have been tried, not illegally murdered - on the off chance that he actually exists.

osama bin laden

Are... Are you serious? Cracked is a COMEDY website. I mean, I honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic and if you are i'm sorry, but Cracked.com is not exactly something I would source when it comes to speculation on a topic like this. Also, of course they're joking. Just read it. It's funny.

Actually though I have seen his name spelled both ways. In the beginning it was UBL, but someone changed it to OBL later.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Wouldn't have mattered. Just gave a chance for retaliation, or some subversion to get him released or effect an escape. He would have been found guilty and sentenced to death. And I don't think he wanted to be captured. He has gone on record as saying in the event of a capture, he would have his own men shoot him (which imo, may have been what really happened) - so he could live on as a martyr to his cause.

Even if you try to dismiss 9/11, he has openly admitted to more than enough to be convicted to death. Why some people feel the need to protect the most vile scum on the planet baffles me. Especially on this site. Threads that villify our own government, and praise people like Ghadafi, Saddam, Castro, Bin Laden, etc. It's a bit sickening.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit
Wouldn't have mattered. Just gave a chance for retaliation, or some subversion to get him released or effect an escape. He would have been found guilty and sentenced to death. And I don't think he wanted to be captured. He has gone on record as saying in the event of a capture, he would have his own men shoot him (which imo, may have been what really happened) - so he could live on as a martyr to his cause.

Even if you try to dismiss 9/11, he has openly admitted to more than enough to be convicted to death. Why some people feel the need to protect the most vile scum on the planet baffles me. Especially on this site. Threads that villify our own government, and praise people like Ghadafi, Saddam, Castro, Bin Laden, etc. It's a bit sickening.

To be fair, how we treat the most vile scum on the planet says a lot about our civilization as a whole. People who plead innocent need to get a trial and it's up to the courts to determine their guilt. People who have admitted their crimes don't need one.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

Because if you are not a "legal" resident in this country, then by definition you are "illegal" and thus already breaking a law, and we don't want criminals with guns. You can be here on a Visa and still buy a gun. I have plenty of friends that are citizens of other countries, and they have concealed weapons permits.

I wasn't asking what laws the US citizen rampaging Canada would fall under, I was asking what moral code. Is it different if he is outside the US? Are Canadians less important than Americans? Apparently, if Iraq is any precident, it is ok to go to Canada, capture a Canadian, and torture or abuse them, refuse them any rights or visits or contact with the outside world, and then either release them back into the wild, or dispose of their bodies. Are Canadians some kind of lesser animal than Americans?

My entire argument is that the Constitution is more than a law. The very existence of the United States is based upon some ideals that our forefathers found to be "self-evident" and "inalienable." In other words, the document is not necessary to have those rights. Those rights exist in nature. A person is born with those rights. As Americans, we believe this to be true, and so where ever we may go, we carry those ideals and morals with us. It does not matter that we are out our country, because we live by a certain morality. It is ludicrous to think that it is ok to refuse those same rights to our captives or criminals.

Another example, the US is currently prosecuting "sex trips" where Americans go out of the country and do things that are somewhat legal in the country they are visiting, and then coming home innocently. We think it is immoral and we are prosecuting those cases.

Ideals and Morality are something a person sticks to no matter where they are. Our politicians and military and contractors and tourists overseas should be living by the same moral code they live by in the States.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ka119

As much as I despise the man, I feel he did deserve due process. Murdering in response to murder makes no sense in a civilized society. I was disgusted when 9/11 happened and I was disgusted when Americans cheered at the man's death. It's appalling to me how savage we can be in this world in the most modern of ages. I believe that no matter the crime and how awful it is, every human being has a right to due process. It's not a popular stance for sure, and it hits home for those who have lost loved ones by the hands of such criminals for sure but as much as I wanted to kill the man who murdered a member of my own family, I was able to refrain and see justice done in court.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by FurvusRexCaeli

Living in HIS house...are you serious? It just took 10 years for the most advanced technology in the world to find this house. Yeah sorry dude I'm not buying it

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ka119

I believe he deserved a trial. I believe everyone know matter what they do deserves a trial. It gives the world a chance to prove what happened, as well it gives us a chance to show the man what he did, and what he is to pay for his crimes. As far as I'm concerned if they could prove that he was guilty then absolutely I believe capital punishment should be the sentence. How ever, I do not feel there is enough evidence to charge Osama with the actual attacks. Conspiracy to commit terrorism, funding and aiding in a terrorist attack, but those who carried out the attacks are already dead. As far as I'm concerned he was not involved, not even a little bit. The fact he was killed kind of makes this stand out a little more. The dead can't testify, they can't reveal the truth, as well they can't apologize.

I also believe bush should be put on trial for war crimes. For the unnecessary invasion of 2 Sovereign nations, for murdering innocent civilians, for releasing falsified documents as well as other intelligence stating that Iraq was creating and in possession of weapons of mass destruction that still have not been found to date. For attacking innocent Afghan citizens, for invading and occupying Afghanistan, for removing their government by force as well as installing a new leader by force. Neither of these countries did anything Wrong. Neither of these nations had anything to do with 9/11. Osama Bin Laden is not a citizen of either country, and as far as any infantry or other intelligence stated he wasn't even there. It wasn't until 10 years later, by some unknown source of information the Saudi born Osama was found in a compound in Pakistan where he had been living for some time.

After discovering his(Osama Bin Laden's) compound The United states launched a surprise attack under the cover of night and upon discovering Osama, shot him in the head. Once the suspected bin laden was successfully identified his body was disposed of ( At sea I believe.Interesting....) in a manner so as not to allow islamist extremists ( or another investigation ) the chance to enshrine his body. I assume, they also were trying to avoid them considering his grave a holy place. I don't know, but either way I consider this obstruction of justice, destruction of evidence in an ongoing investigation, as well he plays a key witness in the events that took place. Whether it be to help fill in gaps in the attack plan, or point the finger at those who were involved in the attacks. If he really was the mastermind who better to explain in great detail everything that went down. Why 757s against a structure built to withstand a plane impact? How did he bring down an entire steel structure far larger and stronger than a single aircraft ? Who was involved ? Did you have any more people on the inside helping you with the attack ? Did you have any more people help you prepare for the attack ? Where are the rest of your terrorist organization ? Who funds your organization ? Are their anymore attacks we should be aware of ? Blah blah blah so on and so on. He was worth farrrrrrrrrrrrr more alive than dead.

If he was responsible which I and many others sincerely doubt, he still deserved a fair trial. If he did it, there is obviously enough evidence to prove that. After all we don't accuse Priests of molesting little boys with out fair evidence, or throw men in jail with out significant proof they in fact murdered, raped, or kidnapped women or children why would we treat him any different ?

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by StopFearMongering

osama bin laden

With a name like stop fear mongering i would think you would know the widely suspected ideal that Osama, or Usama, or better yet United States of America's Murderous Apparition. Other words he was simply a made up fictional character based on a real man the bush family used to dine with. It's really sick actually, this man used to be really good friends with George Bush Sr., and their families used to get together quite often. They seemed to have a great relationship and trust one another. The American CIA helped Train Osama, and other men in the area to fight off the soviets. Really, sad that they chose him of all individuals to head their false flag attack. Really sad..

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
First of all there is every reason to say he is dead no reason to kill him. If Al Quesadila is what they were after then they failed to make the right choice.

But beyond that in this topic while I am glad he is dead I also believe in what OJ's attorney once said a couple years back.

"you either believe in the justice system or you don't" - meaning there is no room for negotitaion you either trust it to do it's job or it's anarchy mitigated or not.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Yes he should have gotten a trial. Where we the USA would have concocted some serious phony evidence and convicted & killed him anyways. I don't understand how they could kill someone who was allready dead? But then again, it's the USA and what every lie we tell is the truth. As far as we all are concerned what ever CNN the Caballa News Network say's is the gospel.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join