It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soyuz Capsule / ISS Crew Landing -- Behind the Scenes (Expedition 27)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Expedition 28 of the International Space Station is set to return to Earth later tonight (just after midnight eastern time Sept. 16), returning one astronaut and two cosmonauts using a Russian Soyuz capsule that will be landing in Kazakhstan.

I found this interesting video that gives a bit of a behind-the-scenes look at some of the preparations and goings-on in the days prior to the Soyuz return. This video was shot for the return of Expedition 27 that landed this past May. I imagine a very similar process is being followed for tonight's/tomorrows return of Expedition 28.

While the Soyuz has been bringing back astronauts from the ISS for several years now, it should be noted that with the retirement of the Space Shuttle, the only way astronauts will get back to Earth for the foreseeable future will be via a Soyuz capsule, so expect more astronauts returning to earth in this manner than ever before.

I would like to see a video that gives a more detailed technical behind-the-scenes look at one of these Soyuz landings, like maybe a behind-the-scenes look at the actual recovery team (although they would all be speaking Russian), but this was interesting from a detached observer perspective, never the less.

I found the whole video relatively interesting, but for those of you who are impatient, the part taking place on landing day starts at the 14:00 mark. This videographer did NOT capture the actual landing, but there are pictures (still images) of the landing at the end.

edit on 9/15/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

new topics

join