It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria About To Go Up In Flames?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Well well. Sky News are reporting that Americans living/working in Syria should leave immediately. No more details as of yet, but messages like this are usually suggestive of a pending attack/invasion/UN Intervention.

news.sky.com...

See their breaking news ticker taper thingy

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
@CNBC
US Urges Americans To Leave Syria Immediately

www.breakingnews.com...

be very surprised if U.S. or NATO went in here.

would not be surprised if Israel struck.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Wirral Bagpuss

Or considering all that has been going over there for the past 5 to 6 months it's simply the smart thing to do considering how much the Syrian Government has been cracking down on their own citizens.

No need to have a potential hostage situation when Syria implodes.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Here's another link

US urges Americans to leave Syria immediately

The US may be thinking things over there are going to get very worse, very fast because an opposition council was formed earlier today.

Earlier Thursday, a group of Syrian opposition activists announced the creation of a council designed to present a united front against President Bashar Assad's regime, which has waged a bloody crackdown on anti-government protesters during the past six months.

The Syrian opposition consists of a variety of groups with often differing ideologies, including Islamists and secularists, and there have been many meetings of dissidents who say they represent the opposition. But activists said the new "Syrian National Council," formed during a meeting in Turkey, is the most serious initiative aimed at bringing revolutionary forces together.

The name sounds somewhat similar to the National Transitional Council from Libya. So far, the Syria council said no foreign intervention. Not sure how long that will last though

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

My guess would be that Syria is going to get a slap from Turkey.
It makes the most sense. Very doubtful if America got involved directly.

edit on 15-9-2011 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Unrest in Syria will turn to war soon imo, it feels like it is more a matter of when than if these days

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I cannot help but think that the way that Cameron and Sarkozy got some great publicity in Libya today - may sting the US into doing something.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Interesting, there's a Bible prophecy that people have been saying would herald the beginning of the End Times, and it deals with the destruction of Damascus:

Isaiah 17:1
The burden of Damascus. Behold, Damascus is taken away from being a city, and it shall be a ruinous heap.

Many believe this will come about as a result of a nuclear attack, both because the above passage states it will be made a "ruinous heap" and because the following passage explains it will happen in less than a day:

Isaiah 17:14 At evening time, behold, there is terror!
Before morning they are no more.

Damascus is the oldest continually inhabited city in the world, so it's complete destruction would be an unusual event indeed. It would be horrible because the loss of life would be tremendous, but it would be hard to argue that it's not an obvious fulfillment of Bible prophecy.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I guess I find it odd that there actually Americans in Syria right now. Why in the world would an American, other than an intelligence/military-type, be there? Is there that much commerce between our countries that businessmen would be there? Vacationing on the Syrian beaches maybe? I'm being serious here, why in the world would anybody, let alone an American, want to go there? Oh, archaeologists and scholars, I bet!!! OK, I could see that.

I feel like I'm talking to myself....

edit on 15-9-2011 by DragonTattooz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by templar knight

The video looked stagted, since i only saw a small handfull of libyans cheering for them, the helicopter shot showed us that the city is a ghost city,from the looks of it.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Can you still see it? As the only breaking news I see on the ticker tape thingy there is the naming of the 4 trapped Welsh miners.

Will check other links now.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Ahhh that is interesting. I know the domestic news are for now being focused on the mining disaster, but it could also mean Sky is typing up a news article which will appear later, or that a D Notice has been slapped on the breaking news story and thus pulled. I cant think what else would be the reason. Still, i have been keeping my ear to the ground and even the Russians have had enough of the killing/slaughter inside Syria. Looks like the UN are going to have to meet again soon and put measures in place...

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
This latest advisory from the State Department is an update of an advisory dated August 7, 2011, in which the State Department also told American nationals who did not have to be in Syria, to leave immediately.

According to Agence France Presse the update was issued in view of President Obama's call (Aug.18) for regime change in Syria.

Link to the Aug. 7th. advisory:

damascus.usembassy.gov...:-updated-tra vel-warning-for-syria-07august2011

The latest advisory wasn't on the State Department website as of a few minutes ago, but the press is reporting on it.
edit on 15-9-2011 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by templar knight
I cannot help but think that the way that Cameron and Sarkozy got some great publicity in Libya today - may sting the US into doing something.

Sarkozy made reference to Syrian youth in his public address to the people of Benghazi. The handwriting is on the wall, I think, for Assad. However Russia and China are blocking any attempt by the "allies" to increase UN imposed sanctions against Syria.

I think there still is some horse trading to be done with Russia and China before Assad gets the boot. Maybe the US will agree to stay out of Iran.

This whole story reads so much like the lead up to WW2; hot house uprisings, Hitler taking just another little nibble of Europe and just another and just another until the con game blows up in his face.

Edit: I just read on the France 24 screen crawl that the Syrian dissidents have named a "National Council".

I wish I had a pick-up truck dealership in Syria.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ipsedixit

I think the russians will be seen as the liberaters this time around.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

I think you might be right, although the government of Russia is still something of a question mark itself. Who are they really? Do they care? I think they are, quite rightly interested in their own security only. Which means territorial security, i.e., "hands off our buffer state Iran". They don't need middle eastern oil. China is another story.

Things would be clearer if the US was looking for physical lebensraum, as Hitler was. It's a more obvious aggression. The Americans are looking for financial lebensraum, though. That is easily disguised by these "spring" revolutions. Even if you don't like "smiley face" fascism, it is still an improvement over Hitler's variety . . . as long as it doesn't lead to general war.

new topics

top topics

join