It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kaitangata and the Tower of Babel

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

In figuring out linguistic matters, you can't do the "sounds like" or "is spelled like" as a basis.

…….you can't determine anything based on a single word. You have to know how it is used (and how its pieces are used) in other languages.
* you can find meaning and similarities in languages of people who live around this culture group at a certain point in time (think Mexican Spanish, Spanglish, and English here in Texas.) However, this cluster of languages is NOT related to the Khosa language spoke by some Bushmen, even though you could find syllables and possibly some words that sound similar and might even have somewhat similar meanings ("funda" and "find" in Khosa and English.) This doesn't mean that Khosa and English are related, or that "fundament" (as used in the Bible) derives from an ancient word in an ancient language that means something which is found through searching.

I know that - I really do. At the same time, and scientific rigor aside, I think it's an interesting little sidebar. Doesn't prove anything, but thought-provoking, leads to some diverting questions, opens illuminating Google pathways.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

I would love to learn more about Franz Boas, and read the paper you talk about - but your link leads to the Wiki entry on Karnak. Also quite interesting, but...

new topics

<< 1   >>

join