It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple drops 'Jew or not Jew' app in France

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Apple drops 'Jew or not Jew' app in France

www.bbc.co.uk

US computer firm Apple has withdrawn a mobile phone application called Jewish or Not Jewish from its online store in France.

The application allowed users to find out whether celebrities and public figures were Jewish or not.

Anti-racism group SOS Racisme said it was illegal because French law did not allow the compilation of personal data without the individual's consent.

Developer Johann Levy, who is Jewish, said the app was "recreational".

Mr Levy said there was nothing sinister...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Well I have to say this strikes me as pretty bizarre. The idea that people would be looking up whether a celeb was Jewish or not purely for entertainment purposes is surely naïve in the extreme. Why on earth would someone find the information purely 'entertaining'?

Personally I'm more inclined to think the developer, Jewish or not, is simply a savvy entrepreneur trying to carve out a market for himself. Or perhaps he's never heard of anti-semitism, so the very thought never occurred to him.

Maybe it sounds over the top, but the very idea leaves a rather nasty taste in my mouth. It even reminds me - no matter how very slightly - of the Star of David badge: the badge itself was just a marker, you could say. But the consequences for those who were so publicly labelled were unthinkable.

I'm normally all for freedom of expression, but personally I'd be quite happy to see this withdrawn, not only from France, but also from the rest of the world.

(And before anyone reaches for their smartphone, perhaps it is worth pausing to think what anti-Jewish prejudice has achieved in this world. It's nothing to laugh about.)

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

i derive no entertainment from knowing if a person is a jew

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Developer Johann Levy, who is Jewish, said the app was "recreational".

It was created by a Jew, and yet it is still somehow racist? I think this is anti-semitism, against a Jew. Why don't people see this?

Anti-racism group SOS Racisme said it was illegal because French law did not allow the compilation of personal data without the individual's consent.

So an anti-racism group can't even come out and say why they really are against this? They have to use legalese and say it is against French law on the books? Like the French police don't have a database of personal data against the individual's consent.

edit on 15-9-2011 by filosophia because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

I can't see how anyone in their right mind would. "She's Jewish. Ha ha ha ha..." Sick really.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I think this happened because of the WW2/holocaust background in France...

I mean, let's say if someone made the app ``Scientologist or not Scientologist``... you think it would have been banned? I think not.

And yeah I agree with posters above... this whole thing is not funny... so who would be dumb enough to buy this... ridiculous. Doesn't matter what religion someone is, all it matters is what the person is...
edit on 15-9-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

actually , i dont care or derive " amusement " from knowing if a person is :

``Scientologist or not Scientologist``...

but its always good to know in special curcumstances

as is any " vested interest "

ie :

jews opining on aid to isreal

catholics opining on birth control

tibeatans opining on sanctions against china

etc etc etc

not that any example i cite is " wrong " per see

but its always good to know the back story

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

I can't comprehend what difference it would make if a certain entertainer is of Semitic origin. Or would you be looking for a hidden agenda in their lyrics because of their background? (I'm sure you wouldn't - so it's worth bearing in mind that many of the named entries are just 'celebs'.)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

read my replies again -you have missed the point

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Seems like France has a bit of a hole in their law. At least here it isn't a crime if it's public figures and public info.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Not at all:

but its always good to know in special curcumstances

as is any " vested interest " ...

but its always good to know the back story

I am simply asking what on earth the "vested interest" or "back story" would be to, say, a popular entertainer.
edit on 15/9/11 by pause4thought because: fixed code

edit on 15/9/11 by pause4thought because: code fixed

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

i dont give a crap whay a pesons ethinicity or religion is - unless they are using thier " weight " to influence an issue - then i contend that thier vested interest should be declared

as i used as examples :

if a catholic is attempting to exert influence over a birth coontrol debate- we should know they are catholic

if a jew is attempting to exert influence over an aid to isereal issue - we should know they are jewish

if a tibeatan [ or tiawanese] is attempting to influence a sanctioons against china debate- we should know thir vested interest

do yu see now ?

i am not interested UNLESS thier ethnicity / religion creates a potentaial vested interest

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

i am not interested UNLESS thier ethnicity / religion creates a potentaial vested interest

Can you see then, why many would find it disturbing that celebrities are listed, as opposed to, say, politicians?

People who have no observable agenda of the type you cite are listed in the app. Do you not find that odd?

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Does it matter if your a jew or not a jews.....like asking a black or not a black or chinese a chinese.

now political affliliations are a lot more telling of someones alignment....Zionist or not a Zionist.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

no - because "celebrites " seem compeled to coment on issues - using thier " influence " to sway the issue

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

OK, fair comment. But it's an awfully wide net that is being talked about here. People are listed because of their ethnicity, not because they are known to have made public pronouncements on major issues. I still find it disturbing.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I think IBM could have had them for copyright infringment on that app dating back to the second world war

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I think the creator who is jewish himself decided to create this app for the sake of being proud that many in the entertainment business are jewish yet because of name changes people would never know.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
If the app's author is to be understood, it is a matter of pride. Also, as I understand it, the app also lists politicians, not just non-politician celebrities.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
You can find out if someone is Jewish from Wikipedia as well.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join