It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How I gave It Back to Corporate America Today!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I'm definately in favor of a free market, but this ranter hopes to demonstrate how utterly ridiculous it is to get around Big Corporations to get a job in this technologically impersonal world.

I saw an on-line ad for a job as a travel consultant--something I am qualified for. I am willing to move to this tiny little town in XXX to fullfill the duties for said job. I love the rugged state that the position is located and so I have no qualms about moving there. I also figured, that since I have good credentials and skills, I would probably be as qualified (if not more so) than 50 or more percent of the less than 10,000 people who make up this tiny little town.

So, this big corporate company emails me to set up a phone interview. I think I do a good job explaining my skills and work history in the industry. I figure I have a good chance of at least scoring a second interview . As the interview terminates, I am told if I make it into the second round, I'll hear back within 24 hours. I am also told I will hear back either way. I am beginning to feel like I am on American Idol.

So, 48 hours goes by and I hear nothing. So, I email the interviewer a professional and kindly email and politely ask him what my status is.

12 hours later, I get this:

Dear XXX

Thank you for taking the time to discuss your application for Travel Sales Consultant.

After careful consideration, it is with regret that we have decided not to pursue your application any further at this stage.

We wish you the very best of luck and thank you again for your valuable time and interest in a career with XXX.

Okay. Whatever. You win some, you lose some. But I'm thinking WTH? How is it possible that they have millions of qualified travel consultants waiting in line to move to XXX?

As the day went on, I started getting angry. I'm sure if the manager of the office at this job in XX had a chance to talk to me, she might think differently about me. I know these towns in XX much better than this guy from New Jersey who interviewed me over the phone. I have spent a lot of time in that beautiful state and I know how life moves there. I know how people think. I was a perfect fit for a small town job! So, I emailed this New Jersey corporate hack back and told him this:

Dear XXX,

Thank you for your email confirming that my ten years in the travel industry, including 5 years as a consultant, 7 years as a Certified International Tour Director, a world traveler (more than 50 countries), and status as an award winning employee at several of the companies that employ me----were not quite up to snuff for a $30,000 a year job answering phones and making flight reservations in a town the size of a walnut.

I am incredulous that I didn't make the second round for a position located in the thriving metropolis of XXX. I imagine that tiny little outpost is just teeming with candidates with my experience and credentials! It might behoove you to know that while the people there are lovely, most have yet to set foot in another state, much less another country. If it's not too much, would you mind sharing that endless list of candidates who are willing to move there and have--at the same time--visited 50 countries in their lifetime? And worked as a consultant for 5 years?

I thank you again for the opportunity to interview with XXX. But what I'd really like you to know is this:

1) I called the office in XXX and spoke to the woman in charge there. She shared with me that her business was recently bought by your corporation and she was appalled that qualified candidates were being turned away by your mysterious and impersonal corporate recruitment system.
2) She was impressed with my resume and would like to interview me next week! They are desperate for help.
3)She recognized my love for her beautiful state and it's people and said she couldn't think of a better person than me to have on board there.

Kindest Regards,

I think my letter to him tells you.....the outcome of the story.

I probably won't get the job, thanks to my own big mouth. The corporate office is sure to put the brakes on my being hired.

But I have proven a valid point, I think. To myself..and hopefully to you.

Find a way around the stumbling blocks, my friends. It's not as hard as you think.

edit on 15-9-2011 by MRuss because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Having been a manager and in charge of new hires, I doubt they gave your letter a glance. BTW, I kept thinking you were trying to get into the adult industry or something lol

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

proved that your competence of the travel industry is there however failed to show your intent and motivation.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Dear Stereotype (fitting name)

I went behind the corporate office's back...called the small town office....connected with the people there (as I knew I would) and got an interview.

If that's not clear enough for ya...

Well, I think that's your problem.

Not mine.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by deadmessiah

Haha to the adult entertainment industry! Thankfully, I haven't had to resort to that!

I did have the recruiter's email address, by the way. He was actually a real person---so I'm pretty sure he got the email.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Im proud that their is people like you still out there that have a free mind and are not held down by societal taboo's like calling out a bad play, or asking why.

In my world in just seems as though no ever ask WHY anymore. They just seem to accept things at face value and dont go beyond the surface of things.

S+F not that you need it, im just feeling exhilarated im not the only one. I really hope you get the job either way.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
He may have seemed like a "real person", but it was probably a good act. He had a friend that needed a job, or a friend of a friend that needed a job, and that's who he was going to give it to. He just had to go through the corporate procedure and take in X amount of resumes and conduct X amount of interviews before he would be aloud to hire someone. Our corporation required a minimum of 50 resumes before a decision could be made.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by deadmessiah

Couldn't agree with you more, I was first hired into my company as a temp, after about a year of working there they notified me that they were going to give me the job. But first they had to go through the rounds of posting another job opening, which i had to again reapply for and they had to interview at least three other people. All the while they guaranteed me the job and assured me they just had to go through the legal process. I personally don't think its fair, while these people most likely take time out of they're life or other job to go out of they're way apply and then go in for an interview all the while thinking they have a good chance of getting hired, which in fact the job has already been given to someone else. It's just not right that they make you jump through hoops get your hopes up and let you down.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

If you are so qualified...why are you applying for such a crappy job, in such a small crappy town, that you are sooooo self proclaimed over qualified for???

It may be...just might be...that you arne't as good as you think you are.

And congrats...you probably just got the manager in the small town of XXX fired. Big corporation buys small office...and small office manager bad mouths big corporation and goes behind their back to set up interviews. Congrats...you probably just ruined someones life.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Unfortunately they first try to "Promote" within, which means they can offer the job to someone internally for considerably less money.

The Placing of the ad is merely a legal requirement.

The best way in which to get hired is always by talking directly with the Hiring manager.

I used to do technical recruiting for a major Fortune 500 Corporation and perssonel is more of a screen ing system vs a recruiting and hiring one.

If you have the name by chance, even if you have to chase them down in the parking lot of their offices to get a word in. It would enhance your probability of getting hired for that particular position.

Bon Chance, Viel Gluck, Buena Suerte and most of all Good Luck.

PEACE

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Oh, my goodness. Having a bad day?

You are totally missing the point of my post, dear friend. It was meant in the spirit of "fight the big guys---hang with the small guys." You know, the small guys are down to earth, appreciate what you have to offer, and give you a chance.

Why am I applying for a job that is so beneath me? I actually don't thinnk it's beneath me. I think it would be a nice job.

And....oh wise one...have you looked out the window lately? Watched any news? Seen any foreclosure signs on the lawns next to yours?

Come on!!!!! Everyone is looking for a job! 30,000 people were just laid off from Bank Of America...and Post Office employees will be getting their pink slips any day now.

Hello? Are you in there?

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by MRuss
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Oh, my goodness. Having a bad day?

You are totally missing the point of my post, dear friend. It was meant in the spirit of "fight the big guys---hang with the small guys." You know, the small guys are down to earth, appreciate what you have to offer, and give you a chance.

Why am I applying for a job that is so beneath me? I actually don't thinnk it's beneath me. I think it would be a nice job.

And....oh wise one...have you looked out the window lately? Watched any news? Seen any foreclosure signs on the lawns next to yours?

Come on!!!!! Everyone is looking for a job! 30,000 people were just laid off from Bank Of America...and Post Office employees will be getting their pink slips any day now.

Hello? Are you in there?

There is no fighting the "big guys." They deemed that you lost in the first round. End of event, lick wounds, go home.
(You sound so awfully full of yourself and that causes you to feel justified as some sort of winner in this none- existent fight?).

new topics

top topics

join