It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What in the? Jersey Shore Production to Receive $420,000.00 from....TAX PAYERS!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   

MTV's 'Jersey Shore' costs taxpayers $420K

The state Economic Development Authority on Wednesday approved covering $420,000 of the production costs for the hit reality series' inaugural 2009 season.

At least one person said something:

Assemblyman Declan O'Scanlon told the Statehouse Bureau of The Star-Ledger of Newark and The Record newspaper he can't believe taxpayers are paying "for fake tanning for `Snooki' and `The Situation."'

Pathetic. It's over. We are broke, no economy, and over taxed...and this is where it is going. I'm done. It's over.

I work so Jersey Shore can Continue

CJ
edit on 15-9-2011 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
this is how you know the world is about to end. state sanctioned tanning and idiocy.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

I wonder how many community programs and infrastructure they had to cut to come up with these funds

I hate that stupid show too!

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by optimus primal

Thanks for the laugh - I needed it. State sanctioned tanning...you are right - it is like a mike judge movie...

CJ

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
The bad thing about it is people will go along with it. Why? Well, it is a great show(I would not know, I do not watch it), right? The simple way to show displeasure on this is to simply just kill their viewer ratings. Nope, could not do that, it is a necessity of life.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Not that I don't believe this, but what is "The state Economic Development Authority"? Is this a federal department or a New Jersey department? I wouldn't be surprised either way I just want to know.
edit on 15-9-2011 by filosophia because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

I understand the show may bring in tourism...how about all the schools that have no $ - could they have used that half a mil? And it is a show about dumb people being dumb.

CJ

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

What in the world?

NJ Economic Development Authority

CJ

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Yeah, that's pretty sad, I have to admit. Out here, I've been sickened the least few days as I drive around town. I see signs that Snooki is coming to town to hang out at a club. She'll get more money for that one appearance than I've made in years and I can't even get a simple pizza job yet here we are paying this biotch to go to a party.

Jersey Shore really shows much that is wrong with us. Just the fact that people watch it is sad enough and now we are paying for it? WOW! Now people out here are paying so they can be in the same room as some weird chick?

I see something like this and I really have to reach deep down to find some sort of faith in humanity. We are so stupid it's pathetic and it's truly hard to root for humanity anymore.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens
reply to post by filosophia

What in the world?

NJ Economic Development Authority

CJ

I saw that, it seems like the EDA is a federal agency that gives money to each individual "economic authority" (talk about a statist sounding name) to give loans to, as New Jersey says, small businesses

The New Jersey Economic Development Authority has always made it a priority to support business growth in New Jersey for businesses of all size, but small business has been a core focus.

We’re talking about companies with anywhere from 5 to 100 employees, that have been in business from 1 to 5 years. And we’re partial to business sectors critical to the State’s economy, especially

So their "small business" they supported was MTV's Jersey Shore?

Wow, we're doomed.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Those were my exact thoughts, your whole post hit bang on!

Taking money that can be put to useful purposes and spending it on a show that promotes the decay in our moral society. I honestly stopped hanging out with a few people because of their obsession with garbage such as Jersey Shore. I don't want to act superior, but I refuse to associate myself with morons who promote ignorance.

" Like OMG! I can't believe you don't watch Jersey Shore! "

Gets me fumed bro.
edit on 15-9-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by optimus primal

Idiocy is the only thing the state sanctions.
Oh, and tanning apparently, but doesn't that fall under idiocy as well?

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
So we're going broke faster because people want to see Jersey Shore?? So my parents and my friends are paying with taxes that goes into a reality show that is NO DIFFERENT then previous reality shows?? You know, this is the kinda crap that tells you that most of us should be further involved with where our money goes. I don't want this country to go broke over some stupid show. Why are we allowing this????

edit on 15-9-2011 by KySc5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoony

Loony - reading your post made me think - I have had some good fortune recently and after TWO years of part time bs I finally got a job that I deserve...two years after working every day non stop for 18 years - so yeah, I hear you man. Don't give up. I almost did.

And to your point, this is just depressing. We have SO much to take care of here, why we are giving VIACOM money is beyond me. I guess people just don't give a hoot.

CJ

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Mommy Smith, Daddy Smith, Jr. Smith.............Let's pretend your a fly on the wall of this families home.

Little Jr. Smith asks, "Mom...whose that guy on Dancing with the stars? What movies does he play in?"

Mommy Smith replies, " Jr. I'm shocked!!! You don't know who that is? That's Mike, *The Situation* He's famous because he met this girl in da club and NOT 5minutes later she was in the bathroom giving Mike the COOLEST BLOW JOB!!!"

......"and that's not all," Says Daddy Smith, "He helps us Males out here by letting us know where all the female bombs are at....and I ain't talking good bombs son...however: he does them a favor by screwing them. I hope your like Mike when you grow up son."

"I will be Dad... I will be!"

People wonder why there's no respect towards one another these days. I resent Jersey Shore and all those that watch it. What is truly sad...I can turn off the T.V. to keep my children from watching that crap, but as soon they walk out the door it's in their face..................24/7~! I'm one Parent against the thousands that watch and approve of that trash including a family show, Dancing with the Stars!!!! If it's on T.V. it MUST BE OK!!!! After all, the MAN says it is! Our society is sooo corrupt morally. It's nothing to lie, cheat, steal, anymore.

The days when a Mans word meant something.....................................a hand shake meant something..............are gone!

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
The Government needs to keep the distractions going.

While people are watching Snooki, the Nation is collapsing so the Govt needs the show going in order for people to keep thinking that all is right in the World.

As long as Snooki looks fat and orange, everything is A-OK.

TV Programming keeps the people Programmed.

edit on 15-9-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Several states have been doing this, in order to attract film and TV productions. Is it a bad deal? Cleveland Ohio has passed tax incentives (under Gov. Ted Strickland) to film productions and it landed "The Avengers" and "I, Alex Cross" which shot parts of their movies there. The trade-off is that they spend more than they got in the way of tax incentives (or so everyone hopes). Apparently this is the new face of government-ran capitalism.

Think this is a scandal? What about the tax incentives we pay other corporations, everything from funding their oil exploration to their fleet of cars, all on the tax-payers dime.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
No offense, but what else does New Jersey have going for it?

The show probably brings more tourism and people the the beaches and stores surrounding it.
Any publicity is good publicity.

To clear any confusion I hate the jersey shore too.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
NJ EDA

The New Jersey Economic Development Authority (EDA) is an independent, quasi-governmental self-supporting entity in the U.S. state of New Jersey dedicated to broadening and expanding the state's economic base.

The EDA creates public-private partnerships to provide access to capital by New Jersey's business community.

Where does the original article get that this is tax-payer money? I think that's a mistake.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
That show is a pathetic display of American culture.
Sad thing is, people latch on to it.
I'm glad I don't pay attention to television.

Hate to break it to you (people who watch MTV)
Life is not about drinking, bar hopping, casual sex and vanity.
That show is and it influences people to think the same way.
Embarrassing.

What's more disgusting?
The people who like it and think that's what life is about?
How the cast promotes that lifestyle?
Or the fact that taxes are being used to fund it?

All of the above.

I can't believe what we allow to happen.
Shame on you, America.
Shame on you.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join