It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Things Are Heating Up On The West Coast.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Looks like more activity all the way from South America to Alaska along the West Coast. Many will say this activity is normal, and I partly agree. But the article explains the recent rise in tectonic activity in the area. Not here to fear monger, just to share some news. Hopefully all this recent activity isn't the start of something big.

Mild earthquake rumbles under Vancouver Island

VANCOUVER — A mild earthquake shivered across northern Vancouver Island early this morning. Details from the U.S. Geological Survey's earthquake centre say the 4.1 magnitude quake occurred at 4:02 a.m. Pacific Time. It hit off the northwest coast of the Island in almost the same area jolted by a 6.4 magnitude shaker last Friday. Today's quake was centred 25 kilometres under the earth's crust and was strong enough to be felt, but not powerful enough to cause major damage or injuries. The U.S. Geological Survey says the Vancouver Island quake is one of six that occurred between midnight and just after 4 a.m. along the west coast of North America from Baja, Mexico to Alaska. The strongest was in southeastern Alaska, but none of the quakes was above a magnitude of 4.5 and none generated a tsunami.

Here is the map of the activity in the area over the last week.

USGS

I used to live on the island and loved it, but the never ending talk about "the big one" was hard to ignore. Now I'm on the East Coast and still get EQ's LOL.

So what is it folks? Is all this acivity normal or a precursor to something drastic. The rise in quakes in the north east and Central USA must have people thinking about Yellowstone, New Madrid, even Elenin and Nibiru LOL.

Hope my favorite island doesn't sink. I got some good friends out there, and it's paradise.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I would keep watch over it for the next few days.

Why is it that whenever a pattern of earthquakes occur, people seem to think that it's a precursor to something bigger? Does it always end up that way?

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I don't think most of the recent earthquakes, like the one that hit here in Maryland, is natural. I read up on a site I go to often called Educate Yourself that states that the earthquake that occured on the East Coast was not a natural earthquake, but rather the results of an explosion deep underground. I don't know wether this is the case on the West Coast, but you might wanna look into that. Just to be sure.

link   

Originally posted by The Sword
I would keep watch over it for the next few days.

Why is it that whenever a pattern of earthquakes occur, people seem to think that it's a precursor to something bigger? Does it always end up that way?

No, it doesn't always end up that way. It just seems lately that there are more earthquakes in places that don't normally have them, and stronger than normal ones in places that do. The Earth is going through changes as it has been for millions of years.

Do I believe something bigger is going to happen? Yes. Nothing to back it up other than gut feeling and a little bit of research that I am trying to piece together. I do NOT however believe it will be anything close to the end of mankind like so many on here try to make it seem.

It is always good to be aware and prepared for something bigger- if it happens you have a better chance of survival, and if it doesn't, well you are stocked up for a time

link   
reply to post by The Sword

Playing the numbers I suppose.
The odds of anything eventually catches up.
If the possibility exists, then it is only a matter of time when the worst happens.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

I have know way of knowing if it is a hint for something big. I have personally noticed a slight rise in the patterns. I'm just an amateur and I'm certain the professionals will be here any minute to tell us everything is personally fine

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Whats astounding is the amount of activity thats been happening over the last couple of days..you can't just dismiss it as normal....cause in a sense it really isnt.......I would have to say we are building to something....what that is I cant readily say.

However....just take a look around and you'll see what I mean. A friend and myself predicted 3 days ago that there would be a sizable quake on Wed. in Alaska.....guess what...there was.....while I wont disclose my method of doing such (still under research on my end so until I get a exact model that doesn't fail, then I will disclose how Im doing this. Much of it has already been disscussed here over and over in many threads anyway) I will say our method is at 90% accuracy as picking the location has become hit or miss. Yet the dates of such are right on the money.

Believe me when I say there is nothing normal about this.....at all. It is set to continue all the way into next year if Im right......I hope I'm not.

We'll just have to wait and see.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
im pretty sure it's looked pretty dam similar to this for the last 6 months.

just another average day for quakes

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

The U.S. Geological Survey has been busy overnight dealing with reports of three big earthquakes, all in different countries and all occurring within an hour's time.

The first quake, a magnitude 6.0, was reported off the coast of New Zealand.

Seven minutes later a magnitude 6.2 quake shook the east coast of Japan.

Luckily, it wasn't strong enough to trigger a tsunami warning.

Less than 45 minutes later, more shaking as a magnitude 6.0 earthquake struck just off the southeastern coast of Cuba.

The earth was busy last night. I'm in Southern California and we had a 3.5 here last night.

link   
reply to post by KySc5

I heard of the explosion theory as well. I was not convinced by it, but I am open to all possibilities. The one in VA sure shook up a lot people since we are located on that bedrock and the epi center was so shallow. Some say we were due for it, some say it wasn't normal. I will let mother earth decide.

link   
reply to post by KySc5

Serious? It's an earthquake on the west coast, they happen every day. Almost literally, every single day. Did this, "educate yourself" place have any evidence or do they operate entirely on instinct?

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

I have know way of knowing if it is a hint for something big. I have personally noticed a slight rise in the patterns. I'm just an amateur and I'm certain the professionals will be here any minute to tell us everything is personally fine

Amateur or not, the more eyes paying attention to this the easier it will be to see the headlights cresting the hill in the darkness of night. Everyone with an idea may contribute something previously overlooked by those that are not amateurs....good on ya mate...keep a watch out for sure.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Headshot
reply to post by KySc5

Serious? It's an earthquake on the west coast, they happen every day. Almost literally, every single day. Did this, "educate yourself" place have any evidence or do they operate entirely on instinct?

Yes you are correct, they do happen everyday. Thats probably not whats being paid attention to as much as the frequency that they occur in any one blanketed area of sesmic concentration. I take the OP's statement as more of a general query than an attempt to provide details on any given incident.....IE he's curious, he put his notion out there for others with more knowledge than him to answer.

Or you can respond as you did and not help the progression of the thread........not tryin to make the vein pop out of your forehead, just sayin....

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

A powerful earthquake struck off Japan's northeastern coast late Thursday, but no tsunami warnings were issued.

The U.S. Geological Survey says a 6.2 magnitude quake struck near the coast of Honshu, about 155 kilometers east of Tokyo, at a depth of 10 kilometers.

The U.S. Geological Survey says the magnitude 3.5 quake hit at 2:56 a.m. Thursday. It was 7.2 miles deep and centered 4 miles east of Newport Beach and 38 miles southeast of Los Angeles.

The USGS website shows hundreds of people in the area reported feeling very light shaking.

Orange County authorities say there are no immediate reports of damages or injuries.

HAVANA (Reuters) - A magnitude 6 earthquake occurred in the Caribbean Sea off the southern coast of Cuba on Thursday, but there were no immediate reports of any damage on the island.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the quake was centred 67 miles (108 km) southwest of the Cuban town of Campechuela at a depth of 6.6 miles (10 km). The epicentre was about 70 miles (110 km) from the northern coast of Jamaica.

A 6.4-magnitude earthquake and dozens of aftershocks shook the walls of homes and office buildings across Vancouver Island and Vancouver Friday. The epicentre was about 80 kilometres south of Port Alice on the northwest side of Vancouver Island. The quake occurred at the relatively shallow depth of 18 km.

WELLINGTON — A shallow 6.0-magnitude earthquake hit off the coast of New Zealand's North Island on Thursday, seismologists said, but no tsunami warning was issued.

The quake struck at 7:53 pm (0753 GMT) at a depth of 13 kilometres (eight miles), with the epicentre around 500 kilometres northeast of the town of Gisborne.

We have 4 quakes about the same depth and magnitude...interesting...all occured within a very short time frame. I only included the Newport Beach one because that is where I am

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Headshot

If you read his post again, you will see that he was talking about the east coast earthquake in Maryland a couple weeks ago. That was definitely not a normal occurrence on the east coast.

link   
well looking at all the info id say the most likely place is san francisco and it should be today but lets hope the info is wrong.

link   
reply to post by marzabeth

Did you feel the 3.5?

From what I hear quakes of that magnitude are rarely felt in California, and if they are felt they do not sound the alarm because of the frequency in that area.

I have felt 4+ magnitude quakes on Vanvouver Island. I guess the depth and location of the epi center dictate how the quakes are felt.
edit on 15-9-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Headshot

Um maybe I can't remember. I was tired last night. You could look it up yourself. And to clear things up, I was merely stating what I saw. I wasn't presenting this as a fact. Or did I? You tell me.
edit on 15-9-2011 by KySc5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

I absolutely felt it. People talk about California as being this hotbed of earth movement but it is a big state. Where I am we just don't have them very often compared to other parts of the states. As just happens my dog has been acting very strange the last few days and I did tell my family yesterday to be aware that we might have an earthquake (I did feel like a fool telling everyone but my pooch is a very level headed fellow and I felt he deserved to be taken seriously). It was just one single very large jolt..lt woke everyone up around here.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by marzabeth

Here are the stats on our little quake:

4 km (2 miles) NNW (344°) from Newport Coast, CA-Where I am located.
Depth-10.6 km (6.6 miles)

edit on 15-9-2011 by marzabeth because: nevermind

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join