It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arsenic in our food, What is going on?!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Htrowklis82
Oh good....Makes me even more glad I never gave my kids juice! Rots teeth, and makes kids fat!
People were always shocked how much my kids liked water at the age of 2-3. Well, your kids are never gonna want water/milk because nothing is as sweet as that sugar in a bottle they drink everyday!
Even the pure stuff is just unnaturally sweet....Eat a real apple!
My kids are also very big veggie eaters and I swear juice changes kids tastes buds at a young age, gearing them to only want sweet stuff!
I was under the impression that arsenic is in the environment. Maybe when you eat ONE apple the arsenic is minimal but then when you squeeze thousands of apples together for juice it becomes more concentrated...idk.
How many "apples" is there in one bottle?

Indeed, this is the scheme of the plan. I have been observing how Gov. and Corps. have tried different tests in different foods, from sodium benzoate to aspartame etc. It's sick how chemicals are becoming the leading test foundation. Would you want to pay billions in research? Nope, so lets test it for free. The people.
edit on 15-9-2011 by jdmmade because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Some info on arsenic, and where it comes from.

About one third of the arsenic in the atmosphere comes from natural sources, such as volcanoes, and the rest comes from man-made sources. Due to natural geological contamination, high levels of arsenic can be found in drinking water that has come from deep drilled wells.

Industrial processes such as mining, smelting and coal-fired power plants all contribute to the presence of arsenic in air, water and soil. Environmental contamination also occurs because it is used in agricultural pesticides and in chemicals for timber preservation

www.greenfacts.org...

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

The B12 my doctor has told me to take is made from Cyanocobalamin

[edit]Possible side effects The oral use of cyanocobalamin may lead to several allergic reactions such as hives; difficult breathing; swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat. Less-serious side effects may include headache, nausea, stomach upset, diarrhea, joint pain, itching, or rash.[5] In the treatment of some forms of anemia (e.g., megaloblastic anemia), the use of cyanocobalamin can lead to severe hypokalemia, sometimes fatal, due to intracellular potassium shift upon anemia resolution (but this same effect should be observed with any B12 vitamer, not just cyanocobalamin). When treated with vitamin B12, patients with Leber's disease may suffer rapid optic atrophy.[citation needed]

I guess the B12 injections do not contain cyanocobalamin and are better to get than the over the counter pill form.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Wow, just wow. The thing I don't get is, they claim "it's too minimal to actually cause damage" or the key phrase here is "in moderation". BUT, in the long run it will build up. It will take it's toll. Think about it this way, lets say someone burns their hand on the stove once, the the next day again, and again and again. Do you think that hand will be the same since the first burn? The damage is done. Just a thought.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by jdmmade

Just because a molecule contains a poisonous element or functional group does not mean that the whole molecule will become poisonous. Salt, for example, contains sodium and fluorine - two very poisonous chemicals on their own, but when combined are no where near as deadly

The thing I don't get is, they claim "it's too minimal to actually cause damage" or the key phrase here is "in moderation"

What is there not to get?

BUT, in the long run it will build up.

Well, that depends on the substance really. Some compounds are more prone to remaining in the body for long periods of time, whereas others pass straight through.
edit on 15/9/2011 by Griffo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Griffo
Many plants contain poisonous chemicals. The cassava root, for example, naturally contains a very high amount of cyanide and if it is not prepared correctly you may die.

Organic arsenic, like you would find in food, is less poisonous than inorganic arsenic (500 times less poisonous). According to wikipedia though, the minimal lethal dose of arsenic is estimated to be between 70 to 200 mg. (I don't know how that would equate to parts per billion - anyone care to do the maths?)

Arsenic poisoning

Arsenic Facts

Molar Mass 74.92 gmol-1

Molar Mass conversion factors

Mole (unit) wiki

As of 2011, the mole is defined by IUPAC to be an amount of a substance that contains as many elementary entities (e.g., atoms, molecules, ions, electrons) as there are atoms in 12 grams of pure carbon-12 (12C), the isotope of carbon with atomic weight 12.[1]

Avogadro Constant

6.02214179(30)×10^23 = 6 hundred sextillion atoms. (? Pretty sure I got that one.)

6 x10^ 23 / 1x 10^ 9 = 6 hundred trillion
6 hundred trillion / 1 billion = 600,000

So 10 parts per billion = 600,000 parts per 6 hundred sextillion (one mole of atoms)

600, 000 x 74.92 (molar mass) = 44,952,000
44,952,000 / 6 hundred sextillion = .00000000000000007492 grams

There is sixteen zeros behind that decimal. ( 1 / ten quadrillionths)

10 parts per billion arsenic = .00000000000000007492 grams of arsenic

Anyone want to correct my math? Be my guest.

I think I finally got the right answer though.

7.492 ten quadrillionths of a gram. For 10 parts in one billion parts.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
So that's the EPA drinking water limit for arsenic.
7.492 ten quadrillionths of a gram.

Any over that and it's against regulations!

But , in case I did do my math wrong and divided by a billion one too many times, I forgot it was a long time ago and a TON of zeros ago....

Anyways If I was wrong the only possible other answer would be .00000007492
or 7.492 ten millionths of a gram.

Either way. That's our two possible answers. I like my first number but Just in case, here is my backup answer.
edit on 15-9-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Can you imagine though something that small being dangerous?

It's only 7.492 ten quadrillionths or ten millionths of a gram. Either or.
Pretty sure it's ten quadrillionths though.

They are both so freaking small it's inconceivable almost.

Yet that is what we consider dangerous for this material for long-term exposure in drinking water. ( 10 arsenic atoms per billion water molecules) (?)
edit on 15-9-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mianeye
Some info on arsenic, and where it comes from.

About one third of the arsenic in the atmosphere comes from natural sources, such as volcanoes, and the rest comes from man-made sources. Due to natural geological contamination, high levels of arsenic can be found in drinking water that has come from deep drilled wells.

Industrial processes such as mining, smelting and coal-fired power plants all contribute to the presence of arsenic in air, water and soil. Environmental contamination also occurs because it is used in agricultural pesticides and in chemicals for timber preservation

www.greenfacts.org...

Thank you for the link. Interesting information.

Also this adds many more sources to our potential airborne arsenic pollution list. Hey there's our buddy the Clean Coal corporations!

So 66% of the airborne contamination is man-made approximately. That is just unacceptable!

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Griffo

Well, that depends on the substance really. Some compounds are more prone to remaining in the body for long periods of time, whereas others pass straight through.

Let us undertake an investigation to discover how quickly this stuff passes through the body.

Here is a link

There is a ton of reading there. Make sure to look around, I was on like the 4th page or so of body metabolization information.

Apparently the body does two things, converts it into other compounds, and passes it through the urine.

I will find more.
Here , arsenic poisoning discussion wiki
arsenic poisoning wiki

Arsenic kills by multi-system organ failure. It's absorption is gastric and excretion is renal. Which is why the test for arsenic poisoning is examination of urine.Angrynight 16:50, 21 February 2006 (UTC)

arsenic poisoning pathophysiology

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
This appears to be very well supported:

In the journal Food and Chemical Toxicology, Keya Chaudhuri of the Indian Institute of Chemical Biology in Kolkata, and her colleagues reported giving rats daily doses of arsenic in their water, in levels equivalent to those found in groundwater in Bangladesh and West Bengal. Those rats which were also fed garlic extracts had 40 percent less arsenic in their blood and liver, and passed 45 percent more arsenic in their urine. The conclusion is that sulfur-containing substances in garlic scavenge arsenic from tissues and blood. The presentation concludes that people in areas at risk of arsenic contamination in the water supply should eat one to three cloves of garlic per day as a preventative.[30][31][32]

link 1

link 2 'garlic combats arsenic poisoning'

3rd source:
Chowdhury, R; Dutta, A; Chaudhuri, S; Sharma, N; Giri, A; Chaudhuri, K (2008). "In vitro and in vivo reduction of sodium arsenite induced toxicity by aqueous garlic extract". Food and Chemical Toxicology 46 (2): 740. doi:10.1016/j.fct.2007.09.108. PMID 17983699.

Looks like we have a winner. Garlic is awesome!

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
According to the Virginia Dept of Health Toxicology Document

It claims that while most arsenic is converted to other compounds in the Liver and the rest is passed through urine, that it can take several weeks for it to fully exit the body.

Sometimes it can even take months or longer.

But if the Garlic extract studies are accurate, than perhaps we could lessen the time frame by roughly half by taking it as a supplement.

Just FYI.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by jdmmade

Hope I didn't scare everyone away from your thread with all my math and dull science documentation.

I have like 6-7 posts in a row here. That doesn't look very good!

Someone come talk to me!

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by jdmmade

Something that hasn't mentioned is arsenic in chicken. 70% of all broilers and 90% of all fast foods chicken contains inorganic arsenic. The practice of adding Roxersone into chicken feed which is made by the drug company Pfizer for decades. Once Roxersone is feed to chickens it changes into inorganic arsenic. The FDA or the Agriculture Dept. have never tested the amount of arsenic in chicken meat. The Los Angeles Times June 9 2011 has an article covering this and says that Pfizer has decided to quit using Roxersone and 3-Nitro to be used in chicken feed in the US. There is the similar drug niarsone is currently marketed for chicken and pig feed. This goes to show that not only is chicken feed contaminated but also pig feed. Which I am sure hasn't been tested for the amount of arsenic in pigs either.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by redrose123

It's all so unnecessary. It boggles my mind all the things they add to things that there is no real need for. It does really make me wonder if they are indeed trying to slowly kill us all.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I love the fact that Gerber the brand most associate with babies has the highest parts per billion. They also use water that contains flouride, isn't that swell?
edit on 15-9-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by redrose123
reply to post by jdmmade

Something that hasn't mentioned is arsenic in chicken. 70% of all broilers and 90% of all fast foods chicken contains inorganic arsenic. The practice of adding Roxersone into chicken feed which is made by the drug company Pfizer for decades. Once Roxersone is feed to chickens it changes into inorganic arsenic. The FDA or the Agriculture Dept. have never tested the amount of arsenic in chicken meat. The Los Angeles Times June 9 2011 has an article covering this and says that Pfizer has decided to quit using Roxersone and 3-Nitro to be used in chicken feed in the US. There is the similar drug niarsone is currently marketed for chicken and pig feed. This goes to show that not only is chicken feed contaminated but also pig feed. Which I am sure hasn't been tested for the amount of arsenic in pigs either.

Thank you for the information. That is very disturbing, especially since you say it is inorganic. It just goes to show you, we are being polluted from every direction imaginable.

It's no surprise that I am highly anti-establishment as a result, and I despise the corporate and government environment we are subjected to. They are the ultimate source of this, because it is they who are suppose to make sure that we are not poisoned by them in the first place. Normal citizens don't have access to sophisticated chemical analysis equipment to test our food, water, air, soil, etc.

It's a real shame, it really is.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by WildWorld
reply to post by redrose123

It's all so unnecessary. It boggles my mind all the things they add to things that there is no real need for. It does really make me wonder if they are indeed trying to slowly kill us all.

I agree there is no need for it to be added to our food.

However I bet I can guess why, the information implicated Pfizer, a pharmaceuticals corporation.

It is probably part of a medical cocktail that they give to industrially raised chickens and pigs to compensate for the severe detrimental conditions that arise when you squeeze thousands of these animals into extremely small cramped places. There would be severe incidences of disease and things of this nature in that completely disgusting setting.

So I can guess what the explanation would be.

However I am 100% against the totally inhuman methods of which we conduct our business in industrial farming settings. Not only do they treat our food horrifically, it actually decreases the taste quality and chemical nutritional quality of the meat products.

It's unacceptable. I want humane organic natural methods of raising animals for food. I am willing to go the extra mile just to do things right, it's well worth the trouble.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
The FDA cracked down on the Amish because they were mashing Apples whole to create Apple Juice to sell.

Apple Seeds contain Arsenic.

Well with Commercialized Agriculture and machines mashing apples to make Apple Juice, what do we get?

Apple Juice with Arsenic.

The FDA failed to regulate Commercial Apple Juice makers. Force them to core the apples first. That's Big Government for ya. Killing their fellow Americans to make a buck.

We'd likely be safer drinking Amish Apple Juice/Cider.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jdmmade

This was discussed on the news today.. The testing was overall Arsenic levels, and did not take into account the naturally occuring ne that is harmess vs the naturally occuring one that is harmfull.

The base rate was also established by how much "water" and not apple juice we drink. Since we drink more water than aple juice, the results are still off.

Doctor Oz doing the study jumped the gun a bit by making the announcement in the manner he did.
edit on 15-9-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join