Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Words

page: 1

join

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
I penned this a long time ago and it seems that we here at ATS are very fond of words while others do not seem to pay heed to their proper usage, I am posting this late so it will disappear eventually into the pile that is recent posts Enjoy... or Don't

Words
When we speak does anyone actually, legitametly pay attention? Do we actually think about what we are saying when we say them? Everyday people speak words that have been said a thousand times before in any language, no matter what language you speak the meaning of the words remain the same. Very rarely have I found someone that will actually answer, "How are you today?" truthfully, most of the time its "Terrific" or "Fine and yourself", lets take those two answers. First the "Terrific" can anyone actually be ,terrific, and if you where, would you want to be? When people say terrific, it means, Very Bad, or excitied to the point of fear or awe, still it is lexicon to mean excellent or having a wonderfull time. When someone says"Im Terrific" what they are really saying is "I'm having such a great time, I'm scaring myself and about to pee my pants"....sheesh. Next lets examine the "Fine and yourself?"statment/question, Fine means an exceptional quality or free from impurity, delicate, sensitive or a financial judgment, not one person I know has been free of financial judgment, then the, yourself part...that means your Identical other!!??....what? also referring to health or sanity...umm anyone we know Sane....or healthy? Also to answer a question with another question is just weird, and displaces attention from you, in which case you probably arent fine.
Besides any of these things do not apply to any american citizen I know, or any in charge of any of the americans I know.
We are all fat, lazy and debauched and those that arent are obsessive, dreary or sheltered to the point of insanity.
We dont spend one moment to consider what we are saying to anyone, for even one breath, and those that we are talking to hear "wahh wahh whawh where did you get those shoes they are so lovely I just bought... Wahwhaw" We forge relationships and use words like "friend" and "Love" but those words have limitations we put on them, Friend, comes from, Freon, To love, to care for out of esteem or affection, but you cant say you love, a friend, that means that you may # them one day because sex is now equated with love...."Love" means strong affection for another rising out of personal ties or kinship, that sounds close to friend, that is to say personal ties are predicated by affection and esteem.
But do we treat Friends with love, we half listen, and speak what we think they want to hear, not what should actually be said. Even I dont completley think about what I am saying at the moment, its human nature I guess. That is the problem when you try to match emotions with words, nothing said or spoken in a sentence will ever be able to match what we are actually trying to say, and when we do speak, the other person never hears all that is being said.
So what now you ask should I just become catatonic and not say anything, get a pad of paper and write all that I think? the later might help, when we write we contemplate what we are about to set into black and white for anyone else to read. Perhaps not that, we would run out things to communicate with eventually...but we should think, thoroughly, before we speak and listen fully when someone is trying to speak to us.

new topics

join