It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yellowstone Quakes are Happening Very Near 7.3 Mag Epicenter of 1959 Hebgen Lake Quake

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   

SnF

I'll be keeping my eyes on this

Thanks for sharing!

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

if that projected target was 500 miles to the east that would be a perfect parallelogram. Assuming the center of the bullseye is Los Angeles (looks a bit further north though) it'd be moved to about Santa Fe, NM.

Not much seismic activity there, though. Probably just a coincidence.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by netwarrior

i'm guessing you weren't aware of these recent NM quakes, not too far from Santa Fe either.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Thanks for posting.
Will be trying to keep an eye on this.
Is there such a thing as a big boomer suddenly hitting without any previous swarm?

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

I stand corrected. A star for you. Wonder if the meteor/ufo tonight is an omen?

*cue spooky music*

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I must be getting complacent with the relative quite we've seen over the past year. I used to check USGS and the park seismos every day, but lately I've been looking at them once every few weeks. Guess I'd better get back in the habit of checking them daily. It's probably kind of irresponsible of me not to be checking them, seeing as how I live within a couple hundred miles of the park!

Weren't you reporting or theorizing in a couple of threads at some point last year that the plume had possibly migrated or expanded towards the Western edge of the park? If it continues, this recent activity could prove to be a reinforcement of that theory.

I know I've said it before, but allow me to say it again: Thank you, TA, for keeping an eye on Yellowstone and the other seismic/volcanic trouble spots!
I'm serious when I say I sleep better at night and have considerably less stress in my life in general because of the ATS geology practitioners like you who keep watch over things. Given yours and the others vigilance, I am very confident that we at ATS would have as much, or even more, forewarning than the professional "experts" and the general public would have if anything serious were to start cooking over there, or anywhere else, for that matter.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by netwarrior

Wouldn't that be Yellowstone? When you make a perfect diamond shape, which is what I think you're referring to?

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing. I will watch this thread.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

He means a rhombus, with opposite sides parallel to each other.

I would be very surprised if the Earth's surface was somehow segmented so as to cause such a pattern so precisely, even if the earthquakes were induced by an outside (natural) force.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Recouper

I agree. It shouldn't. Neither should EQ's happen with such consistence. Yes, a rhombus shape would put it on the dotted line on the map I posted which looks to be Yellowstone. It's curious none-the-less.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Good site to watch also
www.isthisthingon.org...

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

Hoping you're leaning more toward UT than NV since I'm in NV and I don't really think we're setup for earthquakes...UNLV seems to agree earthquakes.unlv.edu... in fact they've been talking recently about the Harmon tower @ citycenter that isn't up to earthquake codes that was built/almost finished being build and never opened.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by kittendaydreamer

atm, i am leaning more toward Utah but now that you included that helpful source, the direction from Lk Mead north toward Arrow Canyon warrants watching, but i don't see the Vegas Valley as an immediate concern.
as for Ut/Nv, think more towards their joined border and much farther north.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Well a 7.2 just hit in fiji...but it doesn't fit the pattern

2nd

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
And now a 2.7 in Utah? You may be onto something Honor93.

2nd

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by dalloway

Weren't you reporting or theorizing in a couple of threads at some point last year that the plume had possibly migrated or expanded towards the Western edge of the park? If it continues, this recent activity could prove to be a reinforcement of that theory.

Something like that, yes. That comes from various opinions in scientific papers. But the opinions vary.

I know I've said it before, but allow me to say it again: Thank you, TA, for keeping an eye on Yellowstone and the other seismic/volcanic trouble spots!
I'm serious when I say I sleep better at night and have considerably less stress in my life in general because of the ATS geology practitioners like you who keep watch over things. Given yours and the others vigilance, I am very confident that we at ATS would have as much, or even more, forewarning than the professional "experts" and the general public would have if anything serious were to start cooking over there, or anywhere else, for that matter.

Thanks again and you're welcome.

At this point I am back to monitoring the park. There are some key stations down at the moment, particularly YML and YMR, which doesn't help much. But this current activity in this thread is near other stations in the west of the park, so we're ok for now. There is still some minor activity coming in, so something's definitely stirring up there. Hopefully it will die down.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Yup. Another small shock just hit. Shows up on all the west stations. Something's stirring in a bad place near that massive fault. Even shows up at 207.
edit on Thu Sep 15th 2011 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

In the last several days, many small earthquakes have occurred near the epicenter of the infamous 1959 7.3 Hebgen Lake quake- which was so powerful it created a new lake and a new geyser in Yellowstone, as well as caused 28 deaths and 76 million dollars in damage. It also caused multiple landslides. These new quakes are happening here, just miles from the 7.3 epicenter:

Ok, so what does this mean!? Any thoughts? I thought you were the resident Yellowstone expert.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
In the last several days, many small earthquakes have occurred near the epicenter of the infamous 1959 7.3 Hebgen Lake quake- which was so powerful it created a new lake and a new geyser in Yellowstone, as well as caused 28 deaths and 76 million dollars in damage. It also caused multiple landslides.

These new quakes are happening here, just miles from the 7.3 epicenter:

www.seis.utah.edu...
See upper left yellow squares.

The epicenter of the 2.2 is here, marked by the green arrow, and the other recent quakes are in a similar location:
g.co...

The epicenter of the 1959 quake was here (after a relocation of epicenter occurred using more modern methods):
earthquake.usgs.gov...

I had a couple of pictures prepped which make this a lot clearer to see the relative locations, but the ATS media portal keeps giving me errors on upload- and that is rare. Never really had much trouble uploading pics before.

But in any case, I think you get the idea.

It appears there is small activity now on fault extensions of the Hebgen Lake fault. May be nothing, but certainly worth keeping an eye on!

I wouldnt worry about the yellowstone volcano erupting unless the ground starts rising. If the elevation of the ground starts to rise exponentially then the magma chamber under yellowstone is filling with magma again and that means that the prophecied 800K year super eruption is about to happen, since were 60k years overdue for it to explode.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012

Ok, so what does this mean!? Any thoughts? I thought you were the resident Yellowstone expert.

I am no expert by any stretch. I have just spent some time studying it. And that's how I recognized that these quakes were a little too close for comfort to the fault producing the 7.3 in 1959.

As to what it means is anyone's guess. Could be these are just some small adjustments along the fault, and nothing major will happen. Again I say, this thread is simply a "heads up" post, to keep people aware of what is happening. I am just saying "some small quakes are occurring, and here is what has happened there before."

And it may be of some benefit to watch threads like this if you like to get the latest the quickest. For example, I am sure another shock occurred, yet here it is still not listed:
www.seis.utah.edu...

But I have it on GEE, registering at multiple stations, so I am dead sure it was a quake.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join