It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows 8 developers preview is up to download to the public from Microsoft.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Microsoft has released Windows 8 Developer's Preview to the public link to download page

Keep in mind this a pre-beta version they are releasing to the public to test out. There is no WGA and you can install it on any and all hardware you have to try it out.

They really want public opinion on this while it's still in development. They did the same thing with Windows 7. They are striving to make a good product to compete with the iPad and Android base.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I see no detail about how long it is. Is it 30days? A year? Is it even usable?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Just got Windows 7 and now there coming out with this X_X.

Atleast 7 was a major upgrade from Vista. Will be fun to use once I break down and get it (After it's official release).

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by 8ILlBILl8
I see no detail about how long it is. Is it 30days? A year? Is it even usable?

They didn't say so it's up in the air on that. It will defiantly be longer than 30 days as it's pre-beta and it will get updates and security updates too.

It's usable. I have it dual booting with Windows 7. I haven't had any crashes or lock ups.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWorldSpins
Just got Windows 7 and now there coming out with this X_X.

Atleast 7 was a major upgrade from Vista. Will be fun to use once I break down and get it (After it's official release).

Windows 7 SP1 will be supported till 2015 so don't worry. If they release another service pack it will add an additional two years of support to it.

I also upgraded to Win 7 from Vista lol.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWorldSpins

snap son, I'm going back to vista. haha. I cant stand 7.. not to mention 7 is weaker for processing.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I didn't like Vista, Window 7 is
alright for now. Think I will wait
a while before downloading
Windows 8. I can't keep up with
them any longer

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
The one thing they will never do? Make everyone happy

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by GNUFanx86

Not too worried about them supporting it but thanks for the news. (Y)

reply to post by ConspiraCity

Good luck with that sir, think i'll try Ubuntu soon

reply to post by Blaine91555

Yep. If someone isn't happy with what they offer then they shouldn't complain about. Many OS's out there that they can try

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Mac OS X Lion has iOS elements in it and GNOME is going touch UI as well as Ubuntu with Unity. Touch UIs are here to stay unfortunately.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I might try downloading it on my youngest sons computer, he is still running windows XP. (Bad mommy
~for the download, not XP) Everythign I have read about it, I already don't like, such as the built in anti virus, and all the junk programs. I want to do the BETA so I can complain about it.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

The junk apps are to test out the hardware on tablets though most work on the desktop too.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

built in anti virus

Thanks for letting us know - now I know I don't want
it. Don't want to try an anti-virus that hasn't been checked
out very much. I will patiently wait.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
ETA: I'd be tempted to download the Beta just to try it out, but I don't want to set up a triple-boot system. Hmmmmm. I wonder if it can be downloaded to a USB?

edit on 15-9-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
I wonder if it can be downloaded to a USB?

sure it can.
But you might want to consider this take on the giant leap forward Windows 8 is before you bother

Progress!!

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by GNUFanx86

I tested it and I do not like it at all. I am hoping when they release Beta it be better. It is not desktop friendly at all and it is just weird.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

You don't need a triple boot system just to try a new operating system, you can use a virtual machine.

As some are better at some things than others, I use Microsoft's Virtual PC, Oracle's VirtualBox or VMware Player. They are all free and Windows 8 developers preview runs on Virtual Box, I just tried it.

This Windows 8 is a little strange, I think that at the moment the user interface is a mix of several things, and that's probably why they published it, to get to know what people say about it and know what way they should go.

PS: some people even use VMware or Virtual Box to run Mac OS X on a PC.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Virtual box completely slipped my mind, that is a great option. Thanks for the suggestion, now another question: Should I run the VM in Linux or XP? Does it matter?

ETA: 32bit/64bit awareness, gotcha.

edit on 18-9-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I don't think it matters, except for the 32/64 bits difference.

I'm not sure, but I think that only a 64 bit operating system can use a 64 bit virtual machine. That's why I downloaded the 32 bit version of Windows 8, I can try it in any computer.

top topics

join