It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NJ Politicians put own names on 9/11 Anniversary Memorial instead of victims

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

on Warren County’s Washington Township 9/11 memorial only the names of the mayor, committee members and the township administrator are on the granite marker — not the victims of the terror attacks.

I don't know if they're incompetent, insensitive or just run of the mill soulless, self serving politicians. I guess I'll go with insensitive. However, to think they were going to memorialize themselves when they probably weren't even in office (or anywhere near ground zero) in 2001 is well, a bit self serving?

But, then I have to think "not too bright", for not realizing the backlash from quite a few angry constituents.

“When I saw was written on the stone I got really, really angry,” former police officer and bagpipe player Dennis Ryan said. “Three thousand people lost their lives and they’re going to get their names memorialized in granite? It’s unconscionable. I couldn’t believe it.”

“What do the politicians have to do with it? It’s the people who perished, their families who are suffering,” resident John Zarra said.

Obviously, the monument stone has been removed. The mayor apologized saying no disrespect was meant. But, someone made the initial decision.

It’s unclear who ordered the stone marker. Some committee members said they didn’t know their names would be on it. The only thing the mayor told Sloan (the reporter) is that he didn’t realize the names would be so big and prominent.

newyork.cbslocal.com...
I'm pretty sure this mayor has potential for higher office.

edit on 14-9-2011 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I'd put my name on a memorial thing too but only as long as the words following say "thanks the dedicated men and women who lost their lives on 9/11/01 so tragically trying to rescue those unfortunate souls trapped that day and all those who lost their lives since in the name of protecting our freedoms and democracies on the world stage. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families. We will never forget."

Otherwise it's just selfish.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maluhia

I don't know if they're incompetent, insensitive or just run of the mill soulless, self serving politicians.

All the above........

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Yep. I'm pretty sure those are the job requirements for politicians.

edit on 14-9-2011 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by curious7

Exactly - Ooops in our haste to see our own names carved in granite, we forgot to mention the reason for the memorial because we are self absorbed and have really bad PR people.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

Updated article - Sept 15th

WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP — As 9/11 services went, it was similar to dozens of others across New Jersey. A small crowd gathered. A proclamation was read. Bagpipes played "Amazing Grace" and "Going Home." People filed past the granite monument. And that was pretty much it.

Then came Tuesday.

The first to notice the engraving on the stone, placed next to a piece of World Trade Center steel in this Warren County community, was a bagpipe player at Sunday's event, who fired off an angry letter read on Jersey talk-radio station 101.5-FM, which promptly flew into outrage.

Instead of noting the thousands of victims who died or the significance of Sept. 11, 2001, the stone listed the names of the Washington Township mayor, deputy mayor, committee members and township administrator.

Within a day, this small, middle-class town found itself confronting a media storm. By Wednesday afternoon, the mayor apologized and the stone was removed.

"I am truly sorry if we have offended anyone," Mayor Samir Elbassiouny said in a statement. Elbassiouny added he took full responsibility.

Dennis Ryan, the bagpiper, said he almost didn't go to Sunday's event after he saw the inscription that morning. But he stayed to honor the victims and their families.

"I got really angry when I saw these six politicians decided to immortalize their names on something that should pay tribute to the 3,000 innocent victims of the attacks," he said.

Others were also uncomfortable about it, including members of the township committee who said they didn’t know their names would be engraved.

"I didn't want to disrupt the festivities," Committeeman Robert Finke said. "What am I going to do? Make an issue out of it?"

Township Administrator Peter H. deBoer Jr. said the town has received many calls about the marker.

"I've heard some people don’t think it’s that big of an issue, and yet some people are upset by it," he said.

Click link for rest of article and appology from the Mayor. The memorial has since been removed.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Click link for rest of article and appology from the Mayor. The memorial has since been removed.

Thanks - the apology and removal were mentioned in the original article. Apparently, both happened quickly because the backlash was almost instantaneous.

TV news report said the only reason they had a pic was because someone at the original service snapped it and provided it to them.

top topics

join