It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have one question about the 6-ton dead NASA satellite, which is about to crash on Earth:

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
According to NASA, the incoming 6-ton Atmosphere Research Satellite (UARS) is dead since 2005, so why they didn't try to retrieve it, while the Shuttle was active??? I mean, despite the fact that they can't track a dead satellite by electronic signal, they could have used the sh*tload of military satellites of USA to, at least, locate it within a rescue window, during some STS mission, couldn't they??? And how come they don't have any clue about where this satellite will crash?? According to NASA experts, "only" half ton of metal will survive the re-entry, and what if these debris fall into a populated area and kill people??? Well, just take a look in how cynical a spokesperson of NASA can be, when asked about it:

It's just me, or that guy speaking in behalf of NASA, doesn't give a sh*t whether this satellite will kill people or not??

www.huffingtonpost.com...
www.theglobeandmail.com...

I'm posting this thread on "Fragile Earth" topic, but I'm not sure if this should be in some conspiracy topic... I think the timing of this satellite crash is too in sync with Soyuz crash, evacuation of ISS and comet ELENIN's approaching, to be just a coincidence... I don't know, but maybe NASA is using this satellite to prepare people for a bigger disaster soon... ISS perhaps...

edit on 9/14/2011 by 1AnunnakiBastard because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I am willing to bet that that dude from NASA has Asberger's. They tend to be super smart but not very compasionate sounding or respond to humor like the average person.

The satellite itself will not likely fall on anyone, but it always has the potential. I have heard of some space junk falling threw peoples houses and such althought I think you are more likely to win the lottery. I personally hope it passes where I can see it. I would love for my kids to see it too, they will think it's pretty darn cool.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Why cant they use it for target practice then? and make it into smaller burn-up-able size bits and make sure everyone is safe? This seems a little wrong to me that they cannot even predict where it will land, when they say they can predict exactly how far a comet will come close to us.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Oh boy, NASA is really on fire in the last couple of years. First they crash a satellite into the moon, and now another satellite will crash to earth. Bravo guys, the aliens mother ship must be proud.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
So when is it scheduled to crash?
Might it be about 9/26 per chance?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
The exact time of re-entry depends on space weather conditions which change from day to day. As re-entry gets closer more accurate estimates of the location will be made.

A NASA update stated that the satellite is now expected to plummet back to Earth during the last week of September. Previous estimates by NASA and the US military, which is monitoring the hefty space junk, suggested the UARS satellite would fall sometime in late September or early October.

au.news.yahoo.com...

The Earth is a big place. There is a lot more empty space than populated space. Yes, there is a chance that debris from the satellite may hit a populated area but there is just as great a chance that a large meteor will. How often do we hear about any place being hit by meteors?
edit on 9/14/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
They definately need to clean house out there. Apparently there is so much garbage out there now, that things could start a ricochet storm according to the Kessler Syndrome. I would hope they could splash the sattellite into the ocean and salvage from there, but then again, most military and logistics ships just throw their garbage overboard anyhow.
It could be worse though, as there is debris out there now like the ( SNAP-10 ) nuke powered satellite that crapped out some 50 years ago and is parked in GS orbit for another 4000 years.
Maybe that's why we stopped our shuttle program. It's like running through a field of mayflies with your mouth open

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by lilowl53
I am willing to bet that that dude from NASA has Asberger's. They tend to be super smart but not very compasionate sounding or respond to humor like the average person.

The satellite itself will not likely fall on anyone, but it always has the potential. I have heard of some space junk falling threw peoples houses and such althought I think you are more likely to win the lottery. I personally hope it passes where I can see it. I would love for my kids to see it too, they will think it's pretty darn cool.

A piece of this satellite can hit someone's house, can hit a hospital, a mall, a school, ANYTHING. Well, the US military spend zillions in hi-tech weaponry, including powerful laser cannons. Why they don't pulverize this satellite in the atmosphere?? Uh, let me see... 'cos they ALSO don't give a damn??

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
And if it just happens to land on China or Russia would this be grounds for starting a war?
If one of theirs landed on D.C. would we go to war with them?

I agree that this is highly irresponsible.
How much of it will burn up on the way down?
6 ton, 12,000 pounds..there is so much talk about what a space rock that size and smaller would do.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
They seem to be narrowing the impact window...

Update #2
Thu, 15 Sep 2011 08:54:30 AM EDT

As of Sept. 15, 2011, the orbit of UARS was 143 mi by 158 mi (230 km by 255 km). Re-entry is expected Sept. 24, plus or minus a day.

source

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

A meteor / comet is typically travelling a hell of a lot faster, and made of denser material.

So the impact velocity combined with this denseness would be very bad compared to the satellite.

Also, as someone has stated, the chances of it hitting an unpopulated area far outweighs a populated one, then that chance is reduced when singling out residential areas and lived in buildings, etc.
edit on 15/9/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
This space junk will be impacting a little sooner due to solar activity.

Update #3
Fri, 16 Sep 2011 03:12:40 PM EDT

As of Sept. 16, 2011, the orbit of UARS was 140 mi by 155 mi (225 km by 250 km). Re-entry is expected Sept. 23, plus or minus a day. The re-entry of UARS is advancing because of a sharp increase in solar activity since the beginning of this week.

NASA UARS site

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Most of it will burn up anyway. Omly small amounts of it will reach earth.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Google "Cosmos 954" it was a Soviet satellite that landed in Canada in the '70's. Even though there was nuclear materials on board, we didn't go to war over it.

As far as having used a Shuttle to retrieve it,I believe that it was in an orbit that the Shuttle couldn't reach.

Laser cannons' that's a laugh. It might be possible to hit it with a Standard missile from an Aegis cruiser, but that may create worse problems.

Skylab came down without hurting anyone and it was much larger. Personally I can think of a few places that I wouldn't mind it hitting.

top topics

join