It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Psychic abilities: Do they exist? Whats are they? how can we prove their existence if so?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Super powers, as children we grow up with the classic marvel superheros, superman, spiderman, thor, captain america. Who wouldn't want such powers to defy the laws of physics and transcend reality, who could possibly resist if given the chance. I was raised as a nonbeliever in almost anything that couldn't be proven by science exept God, quite the contradiction if you ask me. Nonetheless the obstinate side of me has always question anything i've ever been taught. I've always been facsinated by science, it has always come naturally, about the only thing that made sense to me, always slept during class in highschool and still managed to ace all tests with ease. However I still question it all, I refuse to believe that something is impossible. For 5 years i've researched the topic of astral projection, psychokinesis, supernatural/ paranormal abilities.... no leads. Nonetheless I refuse to doubt, maybe i'm just a moron? Who knows, anything I ever find is contaminated by some apparant looney who claims they are some sort of psychic alien koala butterfly vampire, thus forcing me to start at square one, in forums I ask if anyone can deliver any evidence, and nothing. Despite all dead ends I still have a feeling that anything is possible maybe we just aren't evolved enough to understand it yet? I've learned of things that "are not possible" but yet there is no explaination to them, perhaps a scientific theory fits however there are always loose ends. We use less than 10% of our brain capacity, maybe a slight fraction more, so what is all that space used for, surely it must hold something truly remarkable, or maybe its just a backup hard drive if you will. I have a gut feeling that it's all possible but I also have a gut feeling i'll have a job soon, doesn't mean it'll happen.

Perhaps i'm just an ignorant moron who refuses to believe he can't lick his elbow, or maybe some of you agree? I'm usure of it all, honestly I just think this world is boring, I could use some excitement. Can anyone here deliver some real answers, something at least semi concrete with some points to back it up. Not just some made up twighlight faerie bollocks, nontheless, thank you and godspeed.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Double Blind Scientific Experiment. Time and time again they show that this ability is fraudulent.

Easy way to test something without BIAS is to use the scientific method.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
You can't prove them. Anybody who would be up for testing them would make the tests so rigorous that you would pretty much have to be God to pass.

And that's basically the way it is. "Prove you're a psychic! Now answer this question that you would have to be nigh omniscient to know!"

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
You could research the cia stargate program.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I have had plenty of psychic experiences.
It would be my guess that it is a survival skill that we lost as our world changed and we "evolved".
The reason I think this is because up until I seriously spent a lot of time and devotion into researching and training my own abilities, I generally would have an experience that saved me from getting hurt or in trouble.
You know, the whole meet someone and get an instant sick feeling and have them screw you over somehow later, or suddenly not wanting to get in the car and waiting a few seconds until the feeling is almost gone, then getting in and rear end someone where if I hadn't of hesitated, it would of been much more than just a headlight that got broken. Knowing it is time to leave a kegger just cause you got the feeling you should go, and as you walk down the street the police pull up and bust the kegger.

These were all pure survival triggered ESP...

How do you prove that to someone?
Good question.

I do know however that you can learn these abilities if you have a natural knack for it. A lot of people do, most people do in fact. Although it has been my experience that some people just can't do it, I dunno why that is.
The best way to prove it, is to prove it to yourself, in fact, so far, that is the ONLY way to prove it.

To really learn how to use ESP takes ALOT of time and devotion to meditation and getting to know yourself really well,most people don't have the time or want to learn, they just want instant results, and unless you are seriously gifted, that would be very rare.

It is a mysterious and ellusive ability, but I personally believe it is a human instinct we pretty much lost long ago and that whats left of it mainly hides out in the subconsious mind,waiting to be triggered.
edit on 14-9-2011 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
You can't prove them. Anybody who would be up for testing them would make the tests so rigorous that you would pretty much have to be God to pass.

And that's basically the way it is. "Prove you're a psychic! Now answer this question that you would have to be nigh omniscient to know!"

Here is the 1 million dollar challenge too!

www.randi.org...

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

Never heard of it, i'll do that, thanks

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by idonotcollectstamps
Double Blind Scientific Experiment. Time and time again they show that this ability is fraudulent.

Easy way to test something without BIAS is to use the scientific method.

this last statement is quite corrrect. the former is quite wrong.

Thus, you know the rules, but an ignorance about the subject of psi and science evidently "rules" for you.

Obviously, you had done no studying on the multiple topics of psi other than that buying into James Randi's crap, and that of the Skeptical Inquirer.

You wanna "scientific method" type of book filled with meta-analysis of studies about psi?

Pick up a copy of The Conscius Universe: The Scientific Truth or Psychic Phenomena by Dean I. Radin, Ph.D, HarperEdge books, 1997.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
In my opinion the tests used on those claiming psychic ability are not the correct tests, if such a test even exists. The reason being that psychics or sensitives tend to pick things up randomly, not on cue, and the energies they pick up on are of a certain type.

If the experiments are designed to, say, guess what's on the card, or read this person's thoughts, then of course they won't succeed. So all I am claiming is that it would take a very specific type of test, and the problem may be that the test itself is pseudo-science, or could be claimed to be if it shows success. This is just a possibility, and perhaps there is a way to test the abilities psychic people claim to have.

Also, I would think that many of the subjects that take these tests aren't psychic to begin with. I would think that modesty is a trait all true psychics share, and real psychics probably wouldn't advertise their abilities, or participate in a test to prove whether they are psychic, sense they don't need to prove anything to anyone...
Even if it is just to show the world that it is possible.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
For years, I have tried to engage in remote viewing, astral projection and telepathy. I am so good at trying I have learned to drop my heart rate down to 32. Yes, I wrote 32. That being said, I am also an avid road cyclist and do 100+ mile bike rides almost every weekend when the weather is warm. My heart rate is more than likely a reflection of my physical fitness. In fact, I had to do a stress test because the doc was concerned about it being that low. It is ok for me. Really.

Despite my ability to lower my heart rate, I have never succeeded in any of my psychic endeavors. I also have not studied how other people do it. I am not sure these types of things exist or not. I wish they did. I have decided that I must be a toad because if it could be done, I would have figured it out by now.

As a child, I could see Auras. As I grew older, I lost the ability. Also as a child, I had almost daily Deja vu experiences. I no longer experience those either. I wish psychic abilities were a fact and that we had the ability to do it. All I know is that I cannot do it. I would love to learn. However, every time I think about buying a book, the stuff is written by folks that seem more like lunatics than anything else. I can't seem to waste my money on something that sounds crazy just on the surface. Make sense?

If anyone has a reputable training guide/book..I would love to learn of it.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Sometimes want to know if one thing is real or want to prove it can be so different. I think if you want to know it just for yourself if those ability is real or not will be much easier due some circumstances.
To have prove, scientifically, might be really hard cuz if you find someone who does have those ability might refuse or hide it, not mention some "rule" that these people dont want to break.

The problem sometimes lies at those scientist itself and theirs method. Some people might just run some test with limited observation subject and limited methods, and when they find an answer from it, they start claimed it as the truth scientifically. Then this will lead into claiming it will be like this all over the world without ever going to know what the rest of the world can do and what other methods can be done. Behaviour of some fish in the fish tank will not represent behaviour all the fish in the sea.

About is it possible if some people can have extra abilities i think it is better if you search them yourself and have your strong believe about it. For example you can go to some place wich had lots of story about people with extra abilities. And then try to build your own scientific method to explain that phenomena as close as could be. For a start you can find some traditional art in you tube. Try key word debus. Hope this can give you basic information about what you want to know.

Peace

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnCreed777

i'm educated in hard science and advanced mathematics. I have found what you are looking for. I read an old book about astral projection a few years back. so one day in the afternoon when it was really quiet, i cleared all thoughts from my waking mind, a simple form of meditation. i laid down for a nap and i repeated over and over "peace and love". i fell off to sleep and went into an out of body experience, which led to crossing into the tunnel so often described in the near death experience. the tunnel was black and gray, no sound. I saw what I knew was God at the end of the tunnel. I said Our Dear Lord and got scared, cause we've all done things we are not proud of. I withdrew back into my body. after that I have had visions and visitations by Mary twice and a verbal message from God after a traggic event occured. I have soul traveled. there have been a lot of things which have happened and I don't think science is ready yet to evaluate this area. you are going to have to experience it first hand. your gifts maybe very diffrerent then mine or anyone elses. if you wish to discuss this further, contact me.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnCreed777

Hi John, tried joining ATS to respond to you many times...finally got a valid password.
Anyway, I do believe that there is something to Psychic powers/abilities. I always kind of believed it, but was skeptical. That is until a few years ago when my son convinced me to take him to the IRVA conference in Vegas (International Remote Viewing Association). At the conf. they did a couple of experiments with the audience.

They had something like 20 pics. hidden, and a set of lists in envelopes that associated each pic with a number. We were given 5mins to draw the pictures (which we hadn't seen yet). Then an audience member was selected to roll the dice to select an envelope containing a list from several different ones. Then after the envelope was selected, another another person would roll the dice to select the particular item on the list. The image associated with the number was then revealed.

During the 5mins. we were suppose to draw the picture we thought would be selected, having no clue as to what the pics were. I spent the first 4.5mins watching others, and not really knowing what to do, I decided I should try to get something on paper. So I just let go, closed me eyes and drew the first images that popped into my head.

All I have to say is WOW! after the pictures were selected and revealed, I was amazed at how closely my drawings were to the pics. The experiment was repeated, and both times my drawings were very very close to the pics selected. I'm now a believer, something is definitely going on here. It still blows me away when I think about this exercise. Somehow our minds can see into the future and get information. This experiment has made me reconsider the possibility of an after-life. I used to think that once you die, its like turning off a light switch. Game over, nothing after. But this experiment made me rethink this. Our self (soul, consciousness, etc) seems to exist outside our normal reality of linear time.

top topics

join