It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Psi-Ed class eyeopener and possible solution for the homosexual double standard.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
So what is the "Homosexual double standard"? Well if you dont know, its the view that we have that Lesbians are ok, but gay men are sick, gross, and child molesters.

Scene: Freshman college Famcon Resource Class

So I was sitting there, Watching some video about how boys differ from girls in the first 6 years of development, almost falling asleep when somthing caught my attention. Good thing i was absentmindedly taking notes so I can share them with you, although they only said it shortly.

In the first 6 years of early childhood, many children develop their gender roles. At age 4-5, Children recognize that Blue is for boys, and Pink is for girls; Teachers and parents steer their kids towards age appropriate toys. Boys are made to learn spacial skills by playing with trucks and blocks. Girls are made to learn social skills by playing with stuffed creatures or dolls. When a child crosses gender appropriate toys, It is normal. However, many parents react with anger or fear, and do not see this as normal. However, in studies, MOTHERS let girls play with trucks and blocks way more than FATHERS let boys play with dolls. I speculate that this is renforcing gender roles to a whole new extent. This subconsiously stays with us untill the day we die. Do you ever see a woman being teased or beat up because she wore a buzzcut and a baseball cap? No, you don't. How often do you see a guy who wore makeup and did their nails getting beat up though? A lot. Also, as I said, this is made by the parents, and sadly, this will never end for it is a cycle. Parent genderizes their kid, kid grows up, genderizes theirs, and so on.

Also, MSM renforces this. with their constant drilling of gay men in comedy, satire, and those crappy "Inspirational" films where sombody goes and helps the world because they see some dude getting beat up that is so flaming you can see him from a mile away. But yet, you never see a lesbian getting beat up, or being hazed because they look like a guy.

We need to stop doing this to our kids, I mean it's hurting WAY more people than it's helping. Than again... Who IS it helping???

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Who is it helping?

The "alpha male" mentality.

Shame it happens too, who are we to put boundaries and labels on others just because we're not comfortable with something?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
wait...

you take a Psi Ed class?

like moving stuff with your mind...

that's freaking awesome!!

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by freelance_zenarchist
wait...

you take a Psi Ed class?

like moving stuff with your mind...

that's freaking awesome!!

lol no i wish!!! Its a psyc class, in specific famcon reasource ( family and consumer science/reasource)
Its all about life skills and the developing brain

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I recently read an article about a school that did not allow any type of gender typing. The children were allowed to evolve has humans rather than boys or girls. When I was in school it was not lady like to learn math. Sadly, many girls were discouraged from the fields of sciences, technology and math. Times have changed a little but not by much. I was one of "those" girls who were considered odd because I happened to like cycling as a sport and devoured the sciences. I am heterosexual but people often thought otherwise. We live in a sick world and our stereotypes make us even sicker.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by applebaum

That's disgusting.

Luckily in the UK, boys and girls were taught equally for over a century as equals but what I don't like is the story of a 10 year old who wants to be a girl and his family are trying to get him surgery to become one. It was on my local news earlier in the week.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
i'll agree to a point, but i think gender roles are reflective of neurophysiology, and not the other way around. men and women are wired differently, and there's no way around it. women are wired to be more social creatures, and men more physical.

i think the typical gender roles (and no, i don't believe they fit everyone, and people shouldn't be harassed for choosing a different path) have developed in society BECAUSE of neurological differences, both in brain structure and chemistry.

yes, it's kind of unfair that a guy wearing a dress is ridiculed, but a woman wearing a suit is professional. double standard? sure, but when in rome...and societal rules are distilled over time. following them makes things simpler. you want to forge a different path? go for it, but there will be alot of brush in the way.

take a time machine to feudal japan and tell them skirts are for girls, you'll get your ass kicked.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by spw184

My kids ( of each sex) went to Montessori schools. No gender typing. 100% self directed learning.
They shared all of their toys and hobbies at home.
They've become perfectly "normal" adults.

Who are you blaming?
For what?

Aren't you generalizing and exagerating a bit much?

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
take a time machine to feudal japan and tell them skirts are for girls, you'll get your ass kicked.

Yeah or come to Scotland, just voted the place of manliest men in the world, and tell the Tartan Army their kilts are actually skirts.

--------------------------------------------------------------

As a young girl growing up I played football, with toy cars, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Ghostbusters, Transformers. I was never one for barbie and My Little Pony. Let kids be kids, they'll figure themselves out. I haven't wore a dress or stupid high heels for many years. I don't wear makeup most of the time. I'm in a solid relationship for 11 years with the man of my dreams. Even if kids do grow up to be 'different' then so what? If someone has an issue with that then it's THEIR issue. Deal with it.

The whole "lesbians are ok but homosexual men aren't" is a male edriven ethos in society.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by spw184
Do you ever see a woman being teased or beat up because she wore a buzzcut and a baseball cap?
Yes, sadly, it happens all too often. Particularly in the south / bible belt.

But yet, you never see a lesbian getting beat up, or being hazed because they look like a guy.
You're living with blinders on if you believe that. Rent Boys Don't Cry and come back and say that again.

Now, it may be a little different... I would say often the agressors against lesbians, particularly high school aged, may often be straight girls who are bullying the gay girl for being different. But the effect is often the same, and yes, sometimes even that turns to violence.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by spw184

I was actually wondering the other day when and why pink became feminized. I mean, it's just a color, we only relate it to girls because we have for so long. When and why did it become "girly?"

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by spw184

Also I read an article recently about a family that was keeping their babies gender a secret from everyone, but it's siblings so other people won't influence in just the ways you listed. I wish I could find the good article I read, it was unbiased and scientific, but this is all I could find so it will have to do: www.smosh.com...

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
WOW!
And to think all this time I thought it were things like a uterus and testicles, estrogen and testosterone, breast and scrotum, DNA and Y chromosomes that "genderize" people.

Turns out it was over exposure to those evil Tonka trucks and LEGO blocks!!!!

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by jdub297
reply to post by spw184

My kids ( of each sex) went to Montessori schools. No gender typing. 100% self directed learning.
They shared all of their toys and hobbies at home.
They've become perfectly "normal" adults.

Who are you blaming?
For what?

Aren't you generalizing and exagerating a bit much?

but you see, there WAS gender typing. It all starts in the first month or so, when they are super-infants

Boys tend to not be looked at, which in turn (Although i do not know it seems logical though,) Makes the boys have less social skills from an early age. Girls however, get talked to and looked at more by their mothers, which is proven to allow them to develop social and reading skills faster.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by GuyverUnit I
WOW!
And to think all this time I thought it were things like a uterus and testicles, estrogen and testosterone, breast and scrotum, DNA and Y chromosomes that "genderize" people.

No, body parts determine your SEX.

SEX = Do you have a Penis or a Vagina?
GENDER = The role that civilization has for you. Aka: What girls do, what boys do, clothes, hair. ect.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Interesting. This reminds me of a few things.

1) My best friend in college, despite being a girl, would wear boy clothes. She just felt way more comfortable in boy clothes and safer too. Walking alone in the city at night wasn't very safe for a girl. A girl was almost raped by 4 guys on my college campus later that year. But dressed as a guy, and with her short hair, no one would really bug her.

2) I met a gay guy in college, whose social skills were a tad lacking, but one of his many quirks was he would occasionally wear high heels and dress like a girl. I'm assuming he was trying to discover himself and experiment with gender roles, that sort of thing, but anyway, I was walking with him one night, and his shoes would click and clack on the sidewalk, and then these college guys who were drinking beer on their apartment balcony started catcalling my acquaintance. It was dark and they thought he was a girl. Then he turned to me, and he started smiling. He was like, "I love it when they do that. I think it's so funny." I mean, it was kind of funny that he tricked straight people into finding him attractive, but I thought it was kind of twisted in a strange way too.

3) My little cousin, God bless his heart, he had this superman outfit that my mom bought for him. He loved wearing it, and he felt really cool, but his mom and uncle would just laugh at him. They thought it looked really silly and they'd point and laugh at him. he was like 4, but he was so embarrassed that he took the outfit and put it in the garbage can, and not just that, he took some stuff out, and put it on top over it so that it was hidden. Well his grandma was in the kitchen, and she must have been sorting through the garbage because they found the outfit. Then his family laughed even more that he did that. But I was like, duh! When you laugh at a little kid, they're going to develop a complex, and who knows, maybe at 30 years of age he will have to see a therapist over the matter.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Xaberz

Yeah, but i cant see how a parent treats their kid would make them gay, what i was trying to say is that it is hardwired into us by our cultural heritage to have a inclantion to accept genderbending from girls, much more than boys.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I will be careful to skip over the abusive parts and try to stay on focus to some instances where I see a certain and obvious double standard.

In my day it was quite common for a girl to be referred to as a "Tom-Boy" and accepted, no one ever called a boy a "Jane-Girl" for his role orientation. I know that sounds silly and I guess that may be the reason but it did seem to be the norm. Tom-Boys were everywhere, there wasn't a neighborhood without one! They would notoriously beat up their "boy-friend's" enemies! They were tough brutes and yet they were encouraged!

I say this because the above description was my sister! She had a football and would toss it as she walked down the road to go find a game of "tackle" with the boys.

Dress-making, decorating, dolls, animals, flowers, these were my things and I barely survived long enough to finally indulge myself as an adult by finally learning about my interests instead of hiding them from ridicule.

As for kids today, I find their clothing to be so out there that I cannot see what I saw as a child; I am not around young people any more for several years and I would think that times have changed considerably in favor of expressionism but I may be wrong.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Greensage

Tom boys are a great example! A straight female who likes boyish things. If a guy does that, technicly he is "Metrosexual" But to the general populus he is "Gay" even if he is sexualy interested in women.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by GuyverUnit I
WOW!

Gender and sex are two completely different things. "Sex" is one's biological make up, as you mentioned. Gender, on the other hand, is whether a person is masculine or feminine. This is something that is taught to children, early on, through societal interactions. The definition of gender is different in different societies. For example, in some native societies, they have people who are born male, but live as a female. While this is considered a "transvestite" in America, in the native society it is not a big deal.

As for the color pink, early in the 1900's, pink was considered a masculine color, because it is a shade of red, which is considered a strong color. Blue was considered feminine because it was a 'softer' color and the Virgin Mary is customarily dressed in blue.

As far as bullying is concerned, I feel if parents would raise their children to be more open minded and understanding of differences, no matter what they are, then this world would be a much nicer place for us all.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join