It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Tree of knowledge - An Exegesis of Genesis 3.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
When analyzing the verses of Genesis Chapter 3, most people have no clue whatsoever what is being spoken about. Most people take what theyre reading literally. Another, smaller minority, who know the esoteric nature of the story, imagine Elohim was preventing Adam from coming to a knowledge of himself in order to keep him weak and elsnaved to the "demiurge"

Reading it this way however ignores all the earlier motifs in chapter 2 and 3. Its these motifs which give shape and meaning to the later part of the chapter.

A few poignant questions:

Why was Eve the one tempted by the Nachash-Serpent? Why not Adam?

Why, earlier on, When YHVH Elohim spoke, the tree of life was regarded as being "B'tok HaGan" - "in the center of the garden", whereas later on, when Eve recounts to the Nachash what God told her, she says the opposite; the Tree of knowledge of good and evil is in the center.

Why did Eve get her story all twisted up?

The Nachash-serpent symbolizes the awareness of individualized existence.

Eve symbolizes ones own personal unconscious. She is "Chawa, the mother of all the living" - the source of conscious energy. Eve, the unconscious, was approached by the snake, or rather, the human observor - ego - looks at reality, and unconsciously reacts " this outer world is real".

The woman said to the serpent, “We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, 3 but God did say, ‘You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.’”

The intuition has the built in knowledge that this world is to be engaged in. But the awareness of "I am a separate being" was not focal. It was not in the "center of the Garden". On the contrary, YHVH Elohim told Adam that the Tree of Life - The Etz Chaim, was the focal point of reality, and not vice-versa.

But Eve was told otherwise. Some force within her said “Did God really say, ‘You must not eat from any tree in the garden’?” Are you SURE your intuition is correct??? Further. Why did she say God said "dont touch it". God never says that. He just says "dont eat of it, lest you die". What does this mean?

The Tree of knowledge of Good and Evil is Ego consciousness. God never told Adam dont touch it. No. You ARE to touch it, since you percieve reality through it. But dont eat of it; dont internalize this awareness before you've grasped on to the Tree of Life,.

The snake inverted the situation the ego finds itself in. The sense of self can be intoxicating, and the feeling of "i am to live and act responsibly" becomes like a means to contain me; to prevent me from realizing my own Godly powers. The Nachash says

“You will not certainly die,” the serpent said to the woman. 5 “For God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

To know good and evil means to understand the hidden ways of reality.. This knowledge brings one to self knowledge, and in doing so, become like Elohim, knowing the intricacies of the world.

6 When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it. 7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves.

The unconscious becomes attracted to the knowledge of the world, and how it makes one feel about oneself. This knowledge becomes conscious, and so "he ate of it". Both the conscious and unconscious aspects of the self are exposed to this world, and in so becoming aware of the ways of the world, they realized they were vulnerable ie; naked. The fig leaves and the coverings are personas the ego 'wears' to cover its nakedness; its vulnerabilities.

Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the LORD God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the LORD God among the trees of the garden.

The Ego, through the personal unconscious, becomes aware of something greater in the background: The Lord God active in the Garden. What is this?? The Garden is the symbol for the collective unconscious, and the Lord God walking, is the conscience. It is the light of reason which seeks to guide man in his ways in the world. But Adam and Eve hide from Him. The ego ignores the call and represses it "hiding among the trees of the garden".

But the LORD God called to the man, “Where are you?”

The conscience provides direction and purpose. Ayeka - Where are you in your life?

He answered, “I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid.”

The Ego responds to this awareness with a sense of fear, and so "hides" from it. He is afraid because he is vulnernable. And he is vulnerable because he has taken a liking to the tree of knowledge - to the ego. He is vulnerable, so he hides from this "conscience" which seems so counter-productive to the needs of the ego.

1 And he said, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?” The man said, “The woman you put here with me—she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it.

Contrary to what Bible critics say. Adam is not blaming the woman, or his unconscious. Au-contraire. He is blaming God! YOU put me in this situation, YOU allowed her to become tempted and so believe the wiles of the snake.

3 Then the LORD God said to the woman, “What is this you have done?” The woman said, “The serpent deceived me, and I ate.”

And here, man enters his current existential state:

4 So the LORD God said to the serpent, “Because you have done this, “Cursed are you above all livestock and all wild animals! You will crawl on your belly and you will eat dust all the days of your life. 15 And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring[a] and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel.”

The Nachash - that aspect of ourselves which percieves our individuality, becomes cursed below all things. It will "crawl on its belly", or, the Ego will feel a strong craving towards the physical ie; "And I will put enmity between you and the woman". He will struggle with this situation within himself. However, HE - the ego, will control the machinations of his evil side :"Will crush his head", whereas the evil side will still manage to "strike the heel" ie; throw contrary ideas into consciousness.

The tree of knowledge is not evil. It is only Evil when it becomes the focal point within the garden; when that becomes the center of your attention, you have granted entry to the Nachash; not in the useful sense, where Nachash becomes Moshiach - savior (same gematria) but in its destructive sense. Where it leads you down a path of self delusion and endless strife.
edit on 14-9-2011 by dontreally because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

good narrative. man's struggle is caused by man himself, this we know is true. people with an ego will seek power and will stop at nothing to attain it, but this causes suffering as well, as we see in wars, even human enslavement. but at the same time man also has a higher consciousness, which if used correctly, can free him from this struggle and suffering.

star and flagged!
edit on 14-9-2011 by Youji69 because: spelling

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
i came in skeptical but that was an awesome point of view, snf for making me ponder deeper...............................................

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I put some thoughts into that story, too (coincidentially^^)! But I have a different point of view.. I'll try to explain...

The whole creation story takes place, after Lucifer was thrown out of the Garden, I think and as Lucifer had the ambition to become god, I think he tried to start a creation himself. Let's say there are two dreams now. The apple tree was a manifestation of Lucifers dream, and God knew, he didn't create that tree, and so he told adam and eve not to eat from it as it would be Lucifer's dream that they or better she eats the fruit!
Both of them ate the apple and so both of them stepped over to Lucifers Dream and out of Eden!

I know there could be more explanation and there are many, many maybes about how the story continues. But I will post that later eventually, as I don't feel like writing too much right now. Also it is hard to explain for me in english, as it is difficult for me even in german to express those thoughts with words...

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Youji69

To the woman he said, “I will make your pains in childbearing very severe;
with painful labor you will give birth to children.
Your desire will be for your husband,
and he will rule over you.”

It will be difficult to transmute these negative emotions. Only with much labor will you see changes (children).

The emotions in the unconscious will long for expression (the husband), but the Ego will rule over you (repress your full expression).

17 To Adam he said,
“Because you listened to your wife
and ate fruit from the tree about which I commanded you,
‘You must not eat from it,’

Because the Ego obeys the impression taken in from the unconscious and believed iteself to be completely separate from the whole

“Cursed is the ground because of you;
through painful toil you will eat food from it
all the days of your life.
18 It will produce thorns and thistles for you,
and you will eat the plants of the field.

The ground is his basic situation. It is now unstable. Only through much effort will he derive pleasure. The "thorns and thistles" are the sins/mistakes he commits. These will be 'thorns and thistles' ie; cause him to suffer later on.

19 By the sweat of your brow
you will eat your food until you return to the ground,
since from it you were taken;
for dust you are
and to dust you will return.”

With much physicaleffort he will have to survive. He will return to his basic existence "the ground", or collective unconscious, since from it the ego is derived. Dust, is immaterial. It has no defined state. In other words, the essence of the self is nothing. It has no existence outside the context of the name YHVH Elohim.

The LORD God made garments of skin
for Adam and his wife and clothed them.

This has a more astral explanation. The word for skin in Hebrew is the same as light, except the letter Aleph is exchanged for Ayin. Aleph is the first letter of the Alephbet and also the first letter in the word "Or" light. The soul before it enters physical existence is a body of light. Adam, apparently, was an astral being before he incarnated into a body of Or -skin, with an Ayin (70 gematria, referring to the 7 'worlds' of physical existence, each in its 10 aspects). He was a luminous being. He wasnt physical, because his consciousness didnt touch the physical. Only with this fall in consciousness was he "clothed" with a body of skin.

22 And the LORD God said,
“The man has now become like one of us,
knowing good and evil.

Man is the microcosm of the cosmos. Lord God, YHVH Elohim, are the two levels. Elohim provides the 'contraction' into a definite form. It is the expression. Whereas YHVH is the form; the schema of existence. Man contains within himself the powers of God.

He must not be allowed to reach out his hand
and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.”

The hand is the extension of the self.

This is often regarded as a more cryptic line, because it sounds like Gods trying to keep us away from it.

How i understand it: In the state that man has entered, if he were to obstinantly insist in his separateness - ego -, and also try to unite that awareness to the 'tree of life', he could live forever.

23 So the LORD God banished him from the Garden of Eden
to work the ground from which he had been taken.

The ego is banished from an awareness of the self. To work 'the ground from which he was taken', to deal with reality - the ground from which he was taken - in egoic ignorance.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   

pretty deep stuff. we are all living in a reality in which the majority have to work in order to live. unless you are born rich, no one is going to give you free food and free shelter. one could say that man's natural state is within nature itself, living freely off the land as our ancestors did, and even in recent times, certain tribes in africa. but even they have to hunt, farm, and "work the land" in order to survive.

if we set our egos aside, it seems easier for man to live a simpler life, perhaps working only enough to live, eat, etc. but of course our society feeds our ego by showing what we can have if only we have more money. so people have always worked hard in order to have these luxuries, however unnecessary they may be.

but if we look at the world today, one could say that even having just the basics is becoming harder and harder. of course there are the privileged few who control the majority of wealth, but for the common man, making a living has become very challenging in the last few decades.

is this by design? one could argue that it is the ego of the privileged few that is causing the majority to suffer. maybe that is what money does - it allows the "bad karma" of the few people who are abusing their power to be transferred to the lower levels of society by warding it away from the rich.

is money a sort of talisman against human suffering? if you have it, you will live a very comfortable life, and if you don't have it, you will have a harder life. of course the real conundrum is the fact that money is just an illusion. we all know this. the only reason money has any power is because we give it power. we give it its value, and because we as a society accept that, we have to suffer the consequences of not having it in this society.

what do you think, dontreally?

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

That was awesome! I have been sort of working on my "knowledge" of non-duality-type teachings in which it is better to say I am "unlearning." In non-duality circles there seems to sometimes be a shunning or rejection of organized religion. However, this interpretation that you have laid out here makes a lot more sense than taking these stories in the bible literally or even symbolically. I think you are spot on in your interpretation and I can feel that your words have hit on the ultimate truth.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
We are the LORD GOD. We created our separate selves. We created duality (apparent) from oneness. I take the "clothes of skin" to be our apparently separate ego selves. There is no lucifer or GOD that are separate from us.

What is the most basic aspect of our being that sought out separation? Was it simply a desire to be something more? Was it the idea that "there has to be more than this"? We lost sight of the truth that oneness is not just the empty space but also everything that rises from it. We are still this oneness despite our seemingly separate forms.

You are me and I am you also.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Puresilence

We are not God.

We are an emanation of God. An individualized expression of an aspect of God.

But none of us can ever say "we are God".

Thats way too presumptuous.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I respectfully disagree with your thesis.

I do agree that the human ego is of significance to the story of the fall of man, however, I believe that the ego is the cause/result of the fall of man.

Prior to the fall man was united with God, including the conscience.

Satan causes man to sin, disobey God, through the temptation of eating the fruit from the Tree of the Knowledge of the Good and the Evil . The catalyst to man's failure is fear, specifically the fear of being without. Satan deceptively places a fear within the heart of man. This fear is not being like God and having the knowledge of all things. And, it was fear that compelled man to choose to be disobediant for the sake of alleviating his fear.

Since man had allowed fear to enter into him he could no longer be united with God, as there is no fear in God.

This fear that tempted man to serve himself, rather than serve the will of God, cast himself from the Garden and being united (or consciously connected) with God. This disconnection from God left man to be, and to think, on his own (establishing the Ego).

Mark 8:34-35 Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it."

There are numerous other scriptures that convey similar teachings on the need to deny or die to oneself to recieve life in Christ. This life is to exist in Christ and thus be reunited with the love of God through Christ.

This act of denying or dying to oneself is teaching that for one to accept the salvation provided by God, through Christ, one would need to sacrifice their ego. The challenge of sacrificing one's ego is great. Why the challenge is so great is because the fear of losing oneself is so great. The fear of losing one's ego stimulates the sin of Pride and if Pride is comprimised then it triggers the sin of Wrath.

The challenge of sacrificing the ego has grown increasingly more difficult due to the advent of technology. The computer and its ability to provide man with an infinite amount of information is the modern manifestation of the forbidden fruit. Man bit from the apple in the garden and and bites from Apple inc. today.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Jon_in_Charlotte

Satan causes man to sin, disobey God, through the temptation of eating the fruit from the Tree of the Knowledge of the Good and the Evil . The catalyst to man's failure is fear, specifically the fear of being without. Satan deceptively places a fear within the heart of man. This fear is not being like God and having the knowledge of all things. And, it was fear that compelled man to choose to be disobediant for the sake of alleviating his fear.

Youre interpolating Christian theology into the simple narrative..

Any objective person can see how much more reasonable and exact my interpretation is. I actually follow the archetypal nature of the symbols, and show through each motif a proper evolution.

I see nothhing of that in your interpretation. I just seeing you trying to justify a theology you already adhere to.

BTW, this isnt my interpretation. Any any educated religious Jew could tell you the same. This is the oral Torah - the metaphysical explanation, which of course is passed down only orally. And no one may know unless learns of it through someone who has already been taught it, or, be so attached to the 'message' or spirit of the Torah, that you are able to deduce the archetypal process involved. Ive done both. Ive studied Torah with Rabbis at this metaphysical level, and ive also spent much time reading and meditating on the meaning.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
don't really states that i was interpolating Christianity into the argument. However, I believe the OP was guilty of some confirmation bias by selectively ignoring, or discrediting, Christian theology as it would deflate his hypothesis.

The essence of my argument from my previous post was that fear was placed in the heart of man by a prideful satan. And, it was due to this fear that seperated man from God. This fear would plague humanity and is the cornerstone of sin. The formula for sin is serving oneself (the ego) for the sake of alleviating fear. For example, the sin of Pride is where the individual chooses to satisfy their ego for the sake of their insecurity (the fear of being without respect, adulation, affection, etc...). The sinners desire to sasify their ego supercedes their desire to satisfy God.

The argument I present suggests that the ego came as a result of being seperated from God. The result, the ego, is established by sin. Since fear is the catalyst to sin it is then a fundamental to the ego.

Now, my argument doesn't posess any mention of Christianity. What I did suggest was how Christian beliefs towards salvation were a logicial counter action to the consequence of sin. It is the effort to reunite what has become disconnected.We may have been made in the image of God, but, since fear is at the core of our ego we are imperfect and destined for failure. The more we perceive ourselves as our own personal God the greater the odds that we are destined for hell. The great challenge for the individual is to deny the ego what it wants. In the case of the sin of pride the denial would result in humility. The ultimate challenge for the ego is towards accepting a need for a savior.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by dontreally

The hand is the extension of the self.

This is often regarded as a more cryptic line, because it sounds like Gods trying to keep us away from it.

How i understand it: In the state that man has entered, if he were to obstinantly insist in his separateness - ego -, and also try to unite that awareness to the 'tree of life', he could live forever.

23 So the LORD God banished him from the Garden of Eden
to work the ground from which he had been taken.

The ego is banished from an awareness of the self. To work 'the ground from which he was taken', to deal with reality - the ground from which he was taken - in egoic ignorance.

Another thing that I would like to point out is that "Eden" was the first and last true utopian society. Try as we may, the human race can never achieve this again because of the awareness and instinctive need to protect ourselves and our individual vulnerabilities.

The "original sin" was not eating of the tree of knowledge, but rather the arming of ourselves to protect our vulnerabilities. By doing this we broke harmony with nature by distrust. This caused a ripple effect that eventually led to wars, genocide, and murder. Later on Jesus told us to turn the other cheek, not to be altruistic for sake of altruism, but because retaliation by force further disrupts the integrity that God intended for our existence.

It is my personal belief that God is principle of integrity in all things. When the bible says that we were made in his image, it refers to the integrity of life before it is corrupted. Imagine that humanity is like water, God being pure h2o, and man being somewhere between sludge and purified bottled water. At birth we are like God, pure and undiluted, but when we enter the world, we mingle with others who have been diluted in various ways and by the time it is over we are coca-cola. Though our chief ingredient is water, we no longer resemble our true form.

Let me add that I enjoy your post very much and look forward to hearing more of your ideas in the future. You seem to have a profound grasp on the bigger picture, of which our greatest thinkers were still too short sighted to see. God bless.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Jon_in_Charlotte

And none of this has anything to do with the imagery of Genesis 3.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by TheThirdAdam

Try as we may, the human race can never achieve this again because of the awareness and instinctive need to protect ourselves and our individual vulnerabilities.

I disagree. We are perfectly able to rise back to that level of awareness.

Eden in Hebrew means "pleasure". And "Gan", the garden, is reality.

Gan can refer to this physical world, or the higher spiritual worlds (the unconscious realms).

In other words, this physical world in which we live was made to be a Gan Eden - a garden of pleasure. The background, Gan, but the focal, the experience, as pleasure.

The Kabbalistic doctrine of "tikkun" is essentially that formula for rising back to that sublime spiritual awareness.

Before we get there, it will take a great deal of self discipline. The lower, "instinctive" emotions/archetypes/gods, will not go away so easily. They have to be rejected, sent off into the wilderness as the scapegoat on Yom kippur, in order for the numinosity within these forms to be decreased, and eventually dissipate alltogether.

We lack a true perception of things because of the stranglehold these lower emotions - nephilim - have on our being. They suck from us, and by sucking, they weaken our hold on reality.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Agreed. The impossibility that I refer to is statistical, not absolute. Yes, it is possible, but probability is virtually nonexistent. It saddens me to say this, but I believe that humanity has been so diluted with the emphasis on the physical aspect of life, that it will probably destroy itself before it reaches the level of collective enlightenment necessary for true social integrity.

Integrity was the message of Jesus and it didn't take long for that message to be distorted into something that divided instead of unified. This is what leads me to my conclusion of improbability.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TheThirdAdam

It saddens me to say this, but I believe that humanity has been so diluted with the emphasis on the physical aspect of life, that it will probably destroy itself before it reaches the level of collective enlightenment necessary for true social integrity.

Whether it comes through War or Peaceful mutual understanding, it will come. Thats all that matters.

I'd prefer the latter, but, either way..We'll be here to experience it, albeit, as different people

Integrity was the message of Jesus and it didn't take long for that message to be distorted into something that divided instead of unified.

The law of love is the deepest, but given the depths we have sunken to, we need more than that.

Man is apt to interpret "love" as "indulgence". And Love would become sexual immorality, and other types of indulgences.

True love, is to seek whats good for us. Meaning, if we need social laws to reach a spiritual state (thats a neat idea, eh? A government which seeks to facillitate spiritual development instead of using society/law to achieve power, riches etc) which is truly good and divine, we will implement such laws. If we need discipline, self control, then wll do it.

Love is seeking that which is good for us; it binds us to the ultimate truth.

Almost all prophets seek that. Buddah was about that. Same with Jesus. Mohommad aswell. Law, should not be 'constrictive', but should facillitate growth and an apprehension of reality as it truly is.

I wouldnt mind seeing the "10 commandments", or a variation of them, like the Jewish "noahide laws", which Judaism believes to be something all mankind from Noah was expected to adhere to by the creator God, become implemented as a basic 'context' in which mankind will have to live, in order to unite reality; the inner with the outer. God, with man.

new topics

top topics

join