It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North East England Telescope?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Word up star gazers,

Just wanted to ask you lot if you knew the location of any free to use telescopes in the area, I've heard of this kind of thing before and wondered if there were any about, I've done a bit of "googling" if that is a word and found nothing

Cheer's

edit on 14-9-2011 by Pockets because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-9-2011 by Pockets because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Pockets

kielder observatory it costs 15 quid to be a member - no idea what that buys you - but they have " public viewings " on thursday evenings - they probally expect some dontation - but you are getting access to what seems to be a very nice facility

is one i know about - plus i expect the universities at durham , york and newcastle will have some access to an observatory - but no idea what public admitance is aloud

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Pockets

Yep, Kielder is the only one I know of. Was up there a few weeks back, didn't get to use their scope but very nice facilities.
Also If you can get up there, on a clear night without a scop you have an amazing view of the sky!!

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Nice one, Thanks for the answers, I shall look into Kielder, it's not that far...well it is...but I'm sure it'd be worth it, once again, cheers y'all

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
How NE?

There is the Wynard Planetarium which has a 19 inch, The Astronomy centre in Lancashire, Salford astronomical society, The Barnett Observatory and the Mansfield and Sutton astro Society which has the second biggest scope in the UK for the public.

All of those mentioned have open nights, it just depends on if you want to travel to one or all.

www.wynyard-planetarium.net...
www.astronomycentre.org.uk...
www.salfordastro.org.uk...
www.chesterfield-as.org.uk...
www.solarius.net...

Check their websites for prices and details as some may require bookings in advance.
edit on 15-9-2011 by pazcat because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Im sure there is one at "the wetlands center" in washington. Im at works so don't have time to find a link for it, but i'm quite sure there is one there.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
You guy's are the best...How North East, I'm in a little town called Peterlee

it's not the best, but I like the peoples

Cheers for the links

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

There is a public viewing tomorrow night @ Wynyard Woodland Park

Cheer's, you may have just put me one step closer to the women I desire

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Aggghhhhh, it's so cloudy

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Pockets

I knew nothing about Wynyard Woodland Park and I live quite close to it and am very familiar with the surrounding area.
I'm definately going to pay a visit sometime soon, hopefully when there's some clear skies - though they are a bit of a rarity that close to Smogsville!

I did some work a few years back in Peterlee and have also been to a couple of Northern Soul nights there.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Nice, well I think it's open every third Friday, you'll be able to spot me, 6'5 and I got a pretty loud voice

Hope the cloud clears

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Well, much too cloudy last night...sucks, next opportunity is Fri 7th
October

new topics

top topics

join